CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mag followers
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:39 am 
Utility Grade

New to the forums here and i must say there is a lot of good info here.
My question is i have a Benelli snt that i bought Nordic 2 round extension for. Upon removing the stock spring and follower i noticed the follower is pretty cheap. So i really feel i need to replace it before i cut my spring. The problem is i have not found much possitive feed back on the Nordic follower. Any thoughts on a good follower for the snt.
Thanks Steve

Post subject: Re: Mag followers
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:13 am 
Tournament Grade

I have the lime green one on this page. I highly recommend it.

http://kingarmory.com/s-j-hardware-products/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:36 am 
Presentation Grade

Steverino,

Welcome to the Basement aka home of the ugly shells.

The S&J is highly thought of and it's what I use too. I like it for the ease of seeing the acid green.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:30 pm 
Field Grade

Nordic Components teflon coated follower is very good too:

I have it on my Benelli SuperNova and it works perfectly. Guys from my shooting club use such followers too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:49 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the fast replies
Will the green follower reduce the numbers shells it will hold. Many say with 2 shell extension they increased from 4 to 7 shells in the mag. Which is not that big a deal i guess but 7 would be nice for my itchy trigger finger when at the range

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

stevelightning wrote:
Thanks for the fast replies
Will the green follower reduce the numbers shells it will hold. Many say with 2 shell extension they increased from 4 to 7 shells in the mag. Which is not that big a deal i guess but 7 would be nice for my itchy trigger finger when at the range

No, it won't reduce the number of shells your mag will hold.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:14 pm 
Diamond Grade

I routinely use Brownell's replacement mag followers with good results. I opt for the alloy version in target guns and the stainless version in duck guns
Hope this Helps;
Chuck

CSM Certified Instructor
NSCA Level II Instructor
NRA Life Member
US Navy Vietnam Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:18 pm 
Limited Edition

I have been using the S&J Hardware follower for a few years and really like it. Although I generally don't like metal followers, the aluminum SBE "Tactical Follower" was recommended to me recently and I purchased one (haven't received it yet) http://www.sbeprecision.com/Shotgun_Followers.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:19 am 
Utility Grade

I am the owner of SBE Precision Products.

Our followers are precision machined 6061 aluminum, orange anodized face, Mil-Spec Dry-Lube coating. Tactile indicators of empty tube (bump or hole). Won't crack or break like plastic followers can, and won't disolve in gun cleaning solvents.

Tactical: For all extended magazine 870 shotguns (will not work with dimpled tubes)

Sport/Tactical: Works in all 870 shotguns.

We also have an economically priced uncoated Mossberg 500 follower.

We also have follower/Wolff XP spring packages for all these.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bernie, does your 870 mag follower work in older Wingmasters?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:16 pm 
Utility Grade

Fred_G wrote:

There is no reason it should not. For standard length magazine tubes I recommend the Sport/Tactical model because the Tactical is designed for use with magazine tube extensions and will cut capacity by one shell in most standard length tubes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

bernieb90 wrote:
Fred_G wrote:

There is no reason it should not. For standard length magazine tubes I recommend the Sport/Tactical model because the Tactical is designed for use with magazine tube extensions and will cut capacity by one shell in most standard length tubes.

Was asking because another aftermarket follower works great in the 870 Express, but will not work in the Wingmaster. I talked to the owner of that company and he said it will not work in the Wingmaster. A mistake on my part trying to use that follower in the Wingmaster.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:32 pm 
Limited Edition

Fred_G wrote:
bernieb90 wrote:
Fred_G wrote:

Was asking because another aftermarket follower works great in the 870 Express, but will not work in the Wingmaster.

What was the issue in the Wingmaster?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:35 pm 
Crown Grade

Fred_G wrote:
bernieb90 wrote:
Fred_G wrote:

Was asking because another aftermarket follower works great in the 870 Express, but will not work in the Wingmaster. I talked to the owner of that company and he said it will not work in the Wingmaster. A mistake on my part trying to use that follower in the Wingmaster.

That doesn't make sense. The magazine tubes are the same on the Express and Wingmaster.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:15 pm 
Limited Edition

I received the SBE "Tactical" follower today, and I must say that it is beautifully designed and executed. The tail is longer than the S&J, by about 1/4". This will not reduce capacity in an extended tube, as the length of the fully compressed spring is longer than the tail. As bernieb90 advises, however, I would use a different follower in a standard length tube. Could this be my new favorite follower?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There is no reason it should not. For standard length magazine tubes I recommend the Sport/Tactical model because the Tactical is designed for use with magazine tube extensions and will cut capacity by one shell in most standard length tubes.[/quote]

Was asking because another aftermarket follower works great in the 870 Express, but will not work in the Wingmaster. I talked to the owner of that company and he said it will not work in the Wingmaster. A mistake on my part trying to use that follower in the Wingmaster.[/quote]

That doesn't make sense. The magazine tubes are the same on the Express and Wingmaster.[/quote]

No, they are not. The Wingmaster I have has a much smaller 'stop' for the follower. The magazine follower I tried it in would jam the gun by partially passing the 'stop'. I talked to Mr. Vang about this, it is a known issue. His follower works great in the Express, not so great in the older Wingmasters (in my experience, I can not speak for all Wingmasters).

There is a noticeable difference in the 'stop'. I am using the wrong term, but I think you know what I mean, the part of the magazine tube that allows shells through, but stops the magazine follower.

Since I gave the name of the company, Vang, let me say they were great as far as customer service, offered to do whatever to make me happy. I would have no hesitation about buying another Vang product. I was guilty of not properly researching the product, and assumed all Express parts would work in a Wingmaster. Which I think this is the very rare exception.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:49 am 
Utility Grade

What year was your Wingmaster made? I wonder if there is a certain point that the follower stop was changed to provide a more positive stop when they switched from a metal to plastic follower.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have no clue when it was made, found it at a Pawn shop, and had to adopt it. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:43 am 
Limited Edition

Fred_G wrote:
I have no clue when it was made, found it at a Pawn shop, and had to adopt it. :D

Educate yourself: http://remingtonsociety.com/rsa/questions/barrelcodes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

NYShooter wrote:
Fred_G wrote:

Educate yourself: http://remingtonsociety.com/rsa/questions/barrelcodes

Thanks for the link. My barrel does not have the same info. It has a symbol like a V with a m on top of it, 2 small 0's, and a Q. So barrel is 1996?