CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Browning Superposed Lightning for Skeet and Sporting Cla
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:20 am 
Crown Grade

I would definitely go with a Beretta Silver Pigeon I, or a Browning 725. The Browning 725 Field, with 28" barrels, (which is the shortest barrel length you should pick for modern skeet), makes a good dual field/skeet gun. For more serious skeet shooting, I'd cl with a Sporting model with 30" or 32" barrels.

The Sporting Clays club I shot at yesterday had a georgeous SPI in 20 gauge with 30" barrels for $1950 ($1850 member price).

I don't know if you've tried the 20 gauge, but I love them for skeet, and that SPI/30" 20 gauge is a gum I highly recommend.

A guy that shoots in my skeet league just bought 2 old Superposed guns with 26" barrels for him and his sons. Why, I don't know. They own a manufacturing company and seem to be well off. They didn't ask my opinion before buying them, so all I said was "nice guns". And tbey are. But not the beat choice by far. I think they took some advice from one of the old "regulars" that is slightly eccentric.

Don't get me wrong, the Suprrposed is a great gun and would be nice to have. But if you can afford $1900, there are a lot better choices for the modern game if pre-mounted skeet and of course, Sporting Clays which you will want to shoot a lot once you try it!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:34 am 
Diamond Grade

Good ol shotgunworld, guy asks about a 1k gun and he gets recommendations for guns twice the price.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you get seriously hooked on shooting skeet and sporting clays, the price of the gun becomes a minor expense. If you can't afford to play the game, don't try to scrimp by trying to save money on your gun purchase. Mark

Post subject: Re: Re: Browning Superposed Lightning for Skeet and Sporting
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:18 am 
Presentation Grade

VTHokiesDuckHunter wrote:
I would definitely go with a Beretta Silver Pigeon I, or a Browning 725. The Browning 725 Field, with 28" barrels, (which is the shortest barrel length you should pick for modern skeet), makes a good dual field/skeet gun. For more serious skeet shooting, I'd cl with a Sporting model with 30" or 32" barrels.

The Sporting Clays club I shot at yesterday had a georgeous SPI in 20 gauge with 30" barrels for $1950 ($1850 member price).

I don't know if you've tried the 20 gauge, but I love them for skeet, and that SPI/30" 20 gauge is a gum I highly recommend.

A guy that shoots in my skeet league just bought 2 old Superposed guns with 26" barrels for him and his sons. Why, I don't know. They own a manufacturing company and seem to be well off. They didn't ask my opinion before buying them, so all I said was "nice guns". And tbey are. But not the beat choice by far. I think they took some advice from one of the old "regulars" that is slightly eccentric.

Don't get me wrong, the Suprrposed is a great gun and would be nice to have. But if you can afford $1900, there are a lot better choices for the modern game if pre-mounted skeet and of course, Sporting Clays which you will want to shoot a lot once you try it!

Just because the man ownes a manufacturing company he seems well off? Perhaps he seems well off because when he splurges on a skeet gun he limits himself to $1000 instead of $1900.

Browning BPS Hunter w/26 inch barrel
Beretta 686 SP1 12 g w/32 inch bls
Marlin Model 55 10 gauge w/36 inch barrel

Post subject: Re: Re: Browning Superposed Lightning for Skeet and Sporting
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:22 am 
Presentation Grade

oregunner wrote:
If you get seriously hooked on shooting skeet and sporting clays, the price of the gun becomes a minor expense. If you can't afford to play the game, don't try to scrimp by trying to save money on your gun purchase. Mark

Perhaps if he does not scrimp on the skeetgun he never gets a chance to become serious about skeet.

Perhaps he just wants to shoot skeet.

Browning BPS Hunter w/26 inch barrel
Beretta 686 SP1 12 g w/32 inch bls
Marlin Model 55 10 gauge w/36 inch barrel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The title says skeet and sporting clays. He already has an 11-87, and wanted to step up. He has decided on a nice Beretta, based on the advice he got here. Our work here is done. Mark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:47 am 
Crown Grade

clink83 wrote:
Good ol shotgunworld, guy asks about a 1k gun and he gets recommendations for guns twice the price.

Clink

Did you read the entire thread before you posted such a well thought out reply? (I don't think so)

The OP didn't say he was looking FOR a $1000 gun, only that he was looking AT a $1000 gun. AND considering an XT.

Based on some good advice, he already said in a subsequant post that he is considering now a $1900 Beretta SP I.

Which is a great choice. Since he also had mentioned an XT, I gave him a better alternative to that which is the 725 as well.