CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: American Arms Shotguns
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:50 am 
Field Grade

I was at my local gun shop today and I saw a used American Arms O/U 12ga. I have never heard of the company before and was wondering what their reputation was and what quality of shotguns they made.

matt

Post subject: Re: American Arms Shotguns
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:16 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Fair to middlin. A Browning it isn't nor is it a junker! Actually I've seen a few that looked pretty good, almost bought one once, had very nice wood.
Not high end, but very servicable.

BP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:30 pm 
Field Grade

the one I was looking at in particular was a silver 1 that was made in italy. It is in really good shape and the dealer only wants 250.00 for it. ( the price kinda made me leary....you know.. you get what you pay for.) I have found some reviews on it and they were not all that great, but it looks really good. any more opinions.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:36 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The company is no longer in business so the parts are real hard to find as numerich arms bought the parts and are out of some of them. As for the quality if you intend to shoot much through one goof for a different gun because they just dont hold up to volume especially when parts are hard to find
Ryan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:58 pm 
Crown Grade

I had a Silver II with choke tubes; was glad to be able to get rid of it. Had problems with the ejectors in a couple of thousand rounds, greater problems getting it fixed (authorized service center did not work on that particular manufaturer's guns, who I traded it to finally machined the parts himself), was contacted by an attorney and told the gun may be involved in a class action suit for the barrels bursting at the chamber due to the ejector grooves being milled too deeply, discovered it involved a different supplier of the Silver series and fortunately found a shop that was willing to take it in on a trade. The new owner had the gun open on him when it was shot and he brought it back for repair. The gun went back out the door and was never heard from again.
Another buddy had the Silver Sporting model and had the same experiences with the ejectors and traded the gun off with less than 2500 rounds through it. There was also a problem with the safety on some of the Spanish made Silvers where it would slip off and even fire when bumped.
I am now very leery of importers such as AA, they often do not have a single manufacturer, a poor repair network, and can disappear at the slightest sign of trouble (AA declared bankruptcy before the suit got very far and the operation was bought out by Tristar). If they paid me $250 I might take it but I won't even touch one today. You showed good sense being leery of this gun in my eyes. A pretty package can often lead one into sorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:11 pm 
Field Grade

I have a Silver I. It doesn't have ejectors so you don't have to worry about those. It has been a good gun and I've had no problems with it for the years I hunted it. For the money I think they are a good gun.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

My first O/U was a Silver II (this one was Italian-made). I traded it after about 2 years. It was OK...not great. It never really fit me right, the barrel selector switch was reversed ("O" fired the under barrel, and vice versa), and the receiver tarnished really easily. I wouldn't buy another one, but the gun always went bang when I pulled the trigger. Of course, I never really shot it that much, so maybe I just didn't give it enough time to fail...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a Silver II (Fautsi, made in Italy) with 2 sets of bbls. 28 & 410. The 28 has several thousand rounds through it and not one problem. 410 bbls work fine just don't get used. S. Fautsi is still making guns in Italy, some are imported by Traditions. For $250 I'd try it. I've been shooting my for 8 or 9 years now.

Post subject: re: American Arms Shotguns
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:35 pm 
Utility Grade

I have owned and hunted extensively with a
silver II American Arms 12 guage for eight years. The gun patterns high and to the left. A clay must be covered by the barrel to be hit. But the big problem with the gun is that the second shot fails to fire every once and awhile. Worse, both barrels sometimes fire, knocking me on my butt. I have had it to a gunsmith who cannot repeat the misfiring or double firing. I think the problem is in the barrel selector. I also shoot an SKB 20 g. which has never failed---so I am not convinced it's operator error (ie. holding failing to release the trigger after the first shot. I will appreciate hearing from anyone else who has had these difficulties with the Silver II O/U.

Post subject: Re: American Arms Inc. over and under 12 gauge shotgun
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:58 pm 
Utility Grade

HollidaySlim wrote:
I was at my local gun shop today and I saw a used American Arms O/U 12ga. I have never heard of the company before and was wondering what their reputation was and what quality of shotguns they made.

matt

I had also never heard of the American Arms Inc. company until I was surprised to get my very first shotgun as a birthday present when I was 16. My 12 gauge shotgun is a 3 1/2 inch over and under called the waterfowl special made by American Arms Inc. They are very reliable guns I shot allot of shells through that gun and it never failed me once. I hated to miss a weekend so the gun got shot allot more than normal shotguns. The barrel selector tends to get moved when you reach for the trigger since it is located within the trigger guard itself. When it was time for gloves your fatter finger always hit the selector it never failed. I now know what shooting an 8 gauge feels like. I had to tape my selector over so it wouldn't move around on me. If it some how got moved into the middle both barrels simultaneously fired when you only pulled the trigger once. If the butt end of your stock wasn't firmly pressed against your shoulder it would leave a nasty bruise to remind you every time you fired a shot until you went home at the end of the day. I now know what shooting an 8 gauge feels like. It also made your finger right behind the trigger guard grow a large bump and as you shot more shells it would begin split right down its center making it even more painful to pull the trigger. I made a plastic ring to protect my finger and prevent the trigger guard from causing further damage to my finger. After that day I never forgot my finger guard it was always by my side especially when I knew there was a good chance of shooting a couple boxes of shells that day. The trigger guard made you flinch every time you shot if you forgot to wear it. Basically it only happened in a situation were you would shoot allot for example pass shooting geese were I always would have to bring out the big artillery 3 1/2 inch shells.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:10 pm 
Field Grade

I've had one for 12yrs .The Fausti Silver Sporting model .One repair this yr. for a firing pin f. I shoot about 2000 rounds a yr For $250 I think it is less of risk than a Turkish gun.

Last edited by nnewuser on Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

The one I have, has double triggers, and it's action is tight as the day the wife brought it home. It's used for waterfowl hunting and it's seen more mud,snow and rain than most trap and skeet shooters will ever put their guns through in a life time and never had a problem with it. It patterns larger size shot (bb's abd 1's steel)better than smaller size shot. It's lite enough to cary all day and tough enough to take competitive rounds of magnum shot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:26 pm 
Field Grade

My brother and Dad both have the Silver I. There have been no mechanical issues at all, but the stock on my Dad's cracked.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:06 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

My buddy shoots a 10ga American Arms and has had good luck with it for years. It has choke tubes and 26" barrels. It patterns great with Kent's High Speed steel #B. He usually only shoots it for geese over decoys so there is not alot of ammo run through it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

American Arms had Luigi Franchi make them up a few batches of the 48-AL in the early 1990s and labeled them the Black Magic. They were a grade higher than the standard 48 and was overpriced. They didn't sell well enough to keep them on the market. I have one in 20 gauge that is a beautiful gun and has proven itself to be very reliable. After all, it is a 48 and light enough to carry all day. It is stamped American Arms but the gun is a Franchi all the way. {hs#

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Did y'all realize that this thread is 6 years old? Just thought I'd mention it.

I liked my American Arms O/U.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:54 am 
Field Grade

This zombie post is nine years old and it still wont die. American arms sold many guns through many suppliers. If its a Franchi or Fausti look up its equivalent or near equivalent model. It is wrong to label them all crap because you had a spanish POS. Some are excellent guns for even better prices. Saw a like new and nearly bought a American Arms trap gun that Franchi made for $500. The equivalent Franchi was worth $2000. Fran choke tubes.