CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: P. Oberhammer Munchen over under double barrel 16g / rifle
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:34 pm 
Utility Grade

My best friend (avid hunter) and I have both searched the net for as much information regarding a rifle/shotgun I have. It is a octagon shaped double barrel 16 gauge shotgun on top and no marking that we can tell of the rifle caliber. It is marked "OBERHAMMER PATENT MUNCHEN" on the barrel. The action has a bolt that turns from one side to the other and one with an opening to insert a small ball and the other side to put a cap on the nipple. It has number 3235 on the inside when the barrels are cocked open. I have found that Oberhammer was a German gunsmith and Munchen is German for Munich, but it seems he made mostly rifle/shotgun combination firearms. Other markings include Konigh:Bayr:Hofbuchsemhecher. I have found a few pictures of a single barrel, not double barrel like this. I will get a link to some pictures posted soon. Any ideas or starting point guys? Thanks in advance...

Mo

Post subject: Re: P. Oberhammer Munchen over under double barrel 16g / rif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:41 am 
Crown Grade

Hofbuchsenmacher translates to: Gunsmith to the Court, aka a royal warrant.

Konigh:Bayr translates (I believe) to: King Bayr, possibly a ruler/royalty at the time/area.

"Oberhammer's folding aperture sight is patent #59021 of 1891.

Peter Oberhammer of Munchen was born in 1838 in Bruneck-Trento, where he served an apprenticeship in Innichen-Trento, as well as Innsbruck, Salzburg, and Vienna.
He became a master 24 years later in 1872 and founded his business in Munchen and at some point in 1871 or 1872 worked for Franz Xavier Baader, which may have been the draw to Munchen.

His son Ludwig Oberhammer was born in 1875 and would have been a master by 1898 or 1899, after serving an apprenticeship or journeyman program under Carl Stiegele.

Oberhammer made Scheutzen rifles, parlor rifles, combination guns and SxS shotguns - all using pretty much the same breech-loading inline top hammer action.

Post subject: P. Oberhammer Munchen over under double barrel 16g / rifle
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:22 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you Criscokid. Do you know of any sites that may have more information, values etc.? I have found several forums just discussing the maker background or translations. Just nothing to validate certain trademarks / markings to look for. Thanks again for the reply.

Mo

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Post subject: Re: P. Oberhammer Munchen over under double barrel 16g / rif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:06 pm 
Crown Grade

You "might" garner more info on the German Gun Collectors forum ( http://www.germanguns.com/upload/forum.php ), but other than there, IDK.