CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Loading data for Alliant 20/28
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I just got the very latest Alliant Reloader's Guide and I was disappointed to see the skimpy loading data for 20/28 using Winchester AA(HS) Plastic Shells. Only four loads were listed; one for one of each of four different wads. I use WAAHS wads, so I have only one listed load. Perhaps there is more on their web site. I would at least like to see some loads for a lower and higher velocity than the standard 1200 fps.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

Post subject: Re: Loading data for Alliant 20/28
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

I was doing some research on some small guage loads the other day and stumbled onto "Duster's" web site. (Duster Wads). I clicked on the Alliant Data and they listed some loads for 20/28 I don't believe I've ever seen before. The web site claimed that the data came from Alliant. Hope this helps, Mike.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:01 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Cassonet,
Your problem is that you are all wrapped around the axle in using ONLY the data stated for the WAA20 wad. You are limiting yourself.

The WAA-20 wad has several clones, and data for the WAA-20 and any of it's clones will work just fine. Those clones include the Claybuster CB0178-20, the Orange Duster wad, and actually data listed for the Versalite wad will work just fine also. Data for any of these wads will work with a WAA-20 wad, and Vise Versa.

Let me give you a tip. Do yourself a favor and DITCH those over priced WAA-20 wads, and go with the CB0178-20 wad, or the Orange Duster wad, which will even fit better and will cost a lot less.

Even with 20/28, the WAA-20 wad is too tall for good crimps in a AA20 HS case, and are really only suitable for 3/4 oz. loads when using anything other than ball powder. The package states they are for 7/8 oz. loads, however they are too tall for that use with most 20 ga. reloading powders.

DLM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

DL Marcum,

Thanks for the advise, and I apologize for not making myself clear. I am not loading the 20 ga, only the 28, and I am not using Winchester branded WAA28, I am using the Claybuster clones. I have a lot of these wads and I am stuck with them until they are shot up and then I might try some Duster wads, but until then, I have a lot of Claybuster Clones. I still think that Alliant could come up with more than just one load for this wad in a AAHS hull with their 20/28 powder. After all with "28" in the name of the powder, you would think that it would have more versatility than just the one published load per wad type.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

DL Marcum,

Thanks for the advise, and I apologize for not making myself clear. I am not loading the 20 ga, only the 28, and I am not using Winchester branded WAA28, I am using the Claybuster clones. I have a lot of these wads and I am stuck with them until they are shot up and then I might try some Duster wads, but until then, I have a lot of Claybuster Clones. I still think that Alliant could come up with more than just one load for this wad in a AAHS hull with their 20/28 powder. After all with "28" in the name of the powder, you would think that it would have more versatility than just the one published load per wad type.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:03 am 
Limited Edition

Here's another perspective. With the approval of Alliant (the recipes listed are for HS hulls) I am using 20/28 with the appropriate wad to finish of my stash of AA CF 28 ga hulls. As soon as I use up the CF hulls I will switch to the HS cases. I can see that the old Hornady 366 will need some adjusting for HS hull, but I'm expecting that to go fine. I have found no complaints with the HS recipes on this forum. I like it that there aren't a bunch of recipes to evaluate. Of course, if the switch suprises me and the 28 ga Hornady looses its postion of being my favorite reloader maybe I won't be so warm and fuzzy with this other perspective. I'm down to about 90 CF hulls in various stages of wear so the change is not far away.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:12 pm 
Crown Grade

casonet wrote:
I still think that Alliant could come up with more than just one load for this wad in a AAHS hull with their 20/28 powder. After all with "28" in the name of the powder, you would think that it would have more versatility than just the one published load per wad type.

Check the Alliant data again: there are two recipes with that combination--one for 1200fps and one for 1250fps. If what you're looking for is way outside that range, then I'd look to other products.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:27 pm 
Crown Grade

That's why I prefer Hodgdon powders - they list a variety of loads for each powder and hull, with different primers and wads so you are not stuck with "skimpy data" and can use the components you have available.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

BobK wrote:
That's why I prefer Hodgdon powders - they list a variety of loads for each powder and hull, with different primers and wads so you are not stuck with "skimpy data" and can use the components you have available.

My advice for this recipe is to stick to it. I tried to substitute NS primers for the W209 and did not have good results. I use the published 20/28 data and love the load!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:08 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'm about to go to Shyda's for my anual pilgrimage for powder. I'll be picking up a pound of 20/28 and proreach to experment with in small gauges.