CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 28 gauge shotgun for sporting clays (petite woman)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:35 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm looking for suggestions on a 28 gauge shotgun. I'll be using it for shooting sporting clays and occasionally for upland hunting. I'm a 5'2, 93 lb woman looking for a gun that is as light as possible with a reasonably small recoil that will still work for these applications. I'm also a lefty, so a O/U or SxS would be preferred (plus I'll be reloading and shell collection will be much easier). I have considered a 20 gauge, but would prefer the 28 because you can get a lighter weight gun with the same recoil as the 20 gauge would produce in a heavier weight (and I like the challenge). I can barely lift (let alone point) my husbands 7lb 12 gauge. Since I'm just starting with the sport (and will probably never be very serious - mostly just so I can spend time out with the boys), I'd rather start with something on the lower end, especially since I'll probably have to cut down the stock which will make resale more difficult. I'd prefer to find something used around $1,000 but will be willing to spend in the $2,000's for a used gun if necessary.

Post subject: Re: 28 gauge shotgun for sporting clays (petite woman)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

You might look at one of these in 20 gauge. I know it is not a 28 but it might fit your needs without have to alter the stock. http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... d=497&bg=x.

I know Winchester offers Winlite AA targets loads with low recoil in 20 gauge and Remington STS shells are offered in reduced recoil. There are some other brands that offer light loads for reduced recoil in a 20 gauge that would make it similar to a 28 in recoil.

I, personally, have a Browning BPS pump is 28 gauge that would work with a left hander, but unfortunately it weighs 7 lbs. If you would consider a pump, Ithaca may have one that would be light and would work with a left hander.

Last edited by bob9125 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

If you don't like the Browning, then you might consider a CZ Redhead in 28 gauge O/U or Ringneck SxS 28 gauge.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:08 pm 
Utility Grade

The Browning looks nicer, but I'm worried about the kick from a 20 gauge of that weight (and not being able to wield anything any heavier), do you have any experience with this?

I was looking at some of the CZ's online. Any suggestions between the different models (Readhead, Ringneck, Bobwhite, etc)?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm a big guy (6' 4") so I am not comfortable shooting a short stock gun. I do have both a 20 and 28 in the BPS pump and they have reasonable recoil. If I were you, I would definitely avoid the 3" magnum shells if you hunt with a 20 gauge. They can be brutal. 2 3/4" shells would work fine for no more times that you would shoot while hunting. For target loads, you can try the ones above in my edited post are you could reload 20 gauge shells with a light load (3/4 oz same as 28 gauge).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

I don't have personal experience with the CZ guns, but I believe the Ringneck and Bobwhite have fixed chokes while the Redhead has changeable chokes. That may or may not matter to you. The Bobwhite also has double triggers which some people like and others don't. The people in the Huglu forum praise the CZ guns and they may meet your need. However, since the line of pull is rather long for your size, you would most likely have to have the stock altered. You never know until you handle the gun.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:11 am 
Crown Grade

If you are reloading, get the 20 and reload a 3/4oz recipe - for recoil reduction you would really want the 28 to be on a 20 gauge frame

One lady I have shot with previously, is about your height/weight and approaching 70 - she shoots a 12 gauge Kreighoff weighing well over 8 pounds - it is about fit and balance. While heavy, her gun is very nicely balanced, allowing her to more easily move the gun while not having jolting recoil. While a K gun is out of your budget, looking to do the same idea is not.

Go with a target version of whatever brand you decide on - they tend to be a bit heavier and better built to withstand the rigors of volume shooting

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:24 am 
Crown Grade

IMHO you should consider a Remington 1100 28 gauge sporting, yes, it is an autoloader. They are about $900 brand new. My wife has shot this gun and she really likes it and she is very weight sensitive. She has also shot my Browning 525 28 gauge but didn't like the added weight up front of the O/U due to her injured shoulder, which is an excellent gun if you really want an O/U mine is a field model so it is light weight with 26" barrels (easy to carry and not too bed on recoil although you may want to get a kickeze recoil pad on it insted of the plastic butt plate). You can also find a good used 1100 28 gauge for less maybe in the $550-$750 range.

LM NSCA #551026
LM NRA, RMEF and NAHC
Charity http://www.huntofalifetime.org/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Personally, I think that the choice of a 28 gauge O/U is an excellent one. Lightweight (under 6 3/4 pounds) 20 gauges can have rather sharp and nasty recoil when shooting regular factory 7/8 ounce loads at about 1200+ fps.

A 28 gauge will be light enough for the smaller woman to handle, and will also have light enough recoil as to not be a problem. And if you're going to reload, then you could make the recoil even lighter if you want.

The 28 gauge is also big enough to give reasonable success in skeet shooting as well as sporting clays on all except the longest shots. Heck, I've shot sporting clays with guys who were shooting .410's with the 1/2 ounce load and they were breaking clays as well as, or in some cases better than, the guys shooting the 12 gauges. If the shooter does his or her job correctly, 3/4 ounce is plenty of shot to break a target..... even a long one.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

I agree with what the others have said up to a point. Ulysses makes a good case for the 28 O/U, but I differ where he talks about 20 gauge recoil. As oneounceload pointed out, since you stated that you will be reloading, you can tailor your loads to the same specs as a 28 gauge load. The problem with the 1100 could be weight and the fact that you are a left hander. You may be able to get that gun in a left hand version, but I would not think they are common. There is also the issue of picking up the spent ejected rounds. I believe you correctly stated that you liked the ability to easily extract the spent shells and a semiauto would not be as accommodating. Weight would be an issue for you when you do upland hunting as you mentioned in your original post. I think you are on the right track with the idea of an O/U for the type of use you specified, especially being a left hander. An Ithaca 28 gauge pump would also work, but you would need to modify the stock most likely in order to get it to fit. Ithaca may be able to fit you with a stock for your size, since these guns are special order production according to the Ithaca Gun website.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:13 pm 
Crown Grade

I am a LH, HAD a 1100 28 gauge which, if it weren't for the mechanical issues I might still have.

My wife shoots a Beretta A400 Xplor Unico - this 12 gauge weighs 7#1oz. I am shooting 28 gauge level 3/4oz reloads from it with perfect reliability. My 7/8oz reloads also work the gun perfectly. With the Kick Off system recoil is that of a .22 rifle, but I do have the option to step it up if necessary - which I do for registered shoots where I shoot 1oz factory loads running about 1250 - but for cheap practice, running 3/4oz reloads at the 5-stand and FITASC practice fields works great - all I do different is replace the IC choke with a M

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

jenny0122--

On most recreational sporting clays fields the 28 ga will break the targets with authority.

Several fine guns are available--Remington 1100, Ruger Red Label (used), and many others. These may take some looking to find the one you want, but they are out there.

Ammunition is more expensive than 12 and 20 gauge shells. But, it is a lot more fun to shot.

If you want to compete, shoot sun-gauge courses and enjoy.

Good luck in your quest--Keep on--Keepin' on!

B-R-S-I.COM
VA NSCA Delegate
NSCA Level 2, Instructor
NRA Level 1, Shotgun Coach

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Here are a couple I would consider:

In your price range (About $1000) I would look at the Benelli Ultralight in 28 gauge (or perhaps 20 gauge). Very well thought of, light weight semi-auto. The 28 gauge weighs in at a little over 5 pounds. My only concern is going to be recoil. The 28 is pretty tame, but on such a light gun it is something you need to consider.

If you are focused on O/U's the Ruger Red Label in 28 gauge is quite nice. I also would look for a "baby frame" Beretta 68x in 28 gauge. I would look for one with 28 or 30" barrels, and when I mention baby frame, you want one this is on a frame scaled for the 28 gauge, not a 20 gauge frame with a 28 gauge barrel (Which very often weighs more than a 20 gauge of the same size). This is going to push your $2k budget (probably go beyond it as the 28 gauge has become very desirable).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

Has the original poster shot a 20 and or 28 gauge shotgun yet?

Browning over unders of either gauge weigh about the same, (about 6.5 lb or a little more depending on model with the feathers coming in less) so perhaps a nice little classic field cynergy or 625 with 28" barrels or a nice used citori of some model would work for a smaller lady as a do-all gun for recreational clay shooting and some hunting.

either gauge will probably work just fine, what ever the original poster chooses.

It will be easier to find a nice used 20 gauge than a 28, and price wise either new or used should be within reason.

probably a little stock work will be in order to get it to fit, but that is most likely the case with any gun for anyone outside the narrow "normal" size.

20 gauge shells can be down loaded and there are some low recoil 20 gauge options available. and 20 gauge ammo is quite a bit less costly than 28 if we look at long term costs without reloading.

Reloading they will be about a wash if loading 3/4 oz 20 gauge loads.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:41 am 
Crown Grade

I've shot a 28 ga. Browning Citori Field with 28" bbls. for a long time, and did well at sporting clays. I recently picked up a 28 ga. Browning Cynergy Classic Field, also 28" bbls. and that is my "go-to" gun for Sporting Clays. It's a little lighter than my Citori, with a lower receiver profile, and shoots VERY well.

Just a couple of hints - I use skeet and Light Mod (also called Improved Skeet, or Skeet #2) chokes
and just leave 'em in for all shots, and they break clays well. (I do that for my 20 ga. too, on the rare occasions when I use it.)

One word of caution - if a 28 ga. gun is built on a 20 ga. frame, the 28 ga. gun will be heavier than the 20 ga. (due to bbl. thickness.) And an awful lot of them are!

Oh, and by the way, if you or your husband reload, you can reload 20 ga. 3/4 oz. loads with the new Claybuster wads.

So the 20 may not be a bad choice (but I LOVE my 28s!)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:04 am 
Tournament Grade

I have a Browning X-special in a 2 barrel set, 20 and 28. Then you have the best of both worlds. 28 for upland, 20 for sporting. Both gauges do their jobs, if you do yours!!

Grace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:11 am 
Crown Grade

Quote:
Browning over unders of either gauge weigh about the same, (about 6.5 lb or a little more

more like a pound more - the 20 and 28 Citoris typically weigh about 7.25-7.5#. My Ultra XS in 20 with 30" barrels weighs right a 7.4# - NICE handling, good swing dynamics, but it isn't 6.5 like my S&W Elite SXS

I wouldn't want to shoot a 6.5# or less gun for sporting or any clay game where there is a volume of targets to get shot - 7 to 7.5 is light enough to easily handle and heavy enough to help with recoil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

The OP is looking for a lightweight O/U or SxS in 28 gage.
To my way of thinking, the Ruger Red Label is the perfect option: light, classy, American made, reliable, attractive.
She will probably take a big chunk out of her $2000 budget, but she'll get her money back if she purchases used (and I'm not sure there are any new RL's still in the pipeline) and decides getting out with the boys isn't all its cracked up to be.
I have a 20ga. RL and it feels like a toy when I shoot it, the 28 should be a feather.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

Here's your gun:
Baby frame Beretta Silver Pigeon I 28ga 30" barrels 6lbs 8oz

Retail will be right at $1600

I've been shooting this gun a good bit and I love it. I shot it this past weekend in a local sporting clays tournament and broke 81. I was shooting Imp cyl chokes in both barrels and it was plenty of gun for even the longer targets. Had I been shooting a 12ga I don't think I would have broken any more, just missed the same ones with more pellets :)

Weagle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

You should be able to find a real nice little 28ga. SKB. Mine is an 85tss and I have used it for sporting and at least once for pheasants (preserve) The SKB's a great little gun , they look good and will probably outshoot anyone who picks one up. The company is out of business but parts are very available here in the states. You should be able to find one used in your $ range.....Jack