CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Savage 220
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

I don't know if any of you have ever seen a Savage 220 before but I think it was one of the greatest little shotgun ever made. A hammerless, single shot, break-action, at a reasonable price, with nice balance, was/is a great little shotgun to learn trap or have a lot of fun in the field hunting rabbits and/or birds.

Here in the last year or so I've been looking for one in 20 gauge, but have had no luck in finding one. I have found and gotten 220A in 20 gauge for each of my grandchildren (3) shortly after they were born, but I would really like to get a 220 for myself to be able to teach my grandkids how to shoot trap and to go hunting with.

I wish someone would make a single shot like the Savage 220 again, I‘m sure the reason Savage stop was the cost got prohibitive in the market which they set the 220 for. It’s a shame as it is one of those shotguns from the past that I would classify as a classic with it’s simple but practical design.

Post subject: Re: Savage 220
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:57 pm 
Crown Grade

Just for fun, I looked on the gun sites. You are in a world of hurt, buddy. You had better keep your nose to the ground because there isn't much out there except the new 220 which pollutes the internet market.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

Boy don't I know, as I stated that I've been looking for awhile. I seen one in one of the local gun shops for close to a year before I decided that I wanted one. I call to see if they still had it, which they did. Was going to go up to pickup that day but something came up so I wasn't able to get there. So the next day I drove up thinking that "hey it's been there this long what's the chance someone came in and bought it?"

That is exactly what happen. Just a few hours before I arrived, some guy seen it on the shop's website, did the necessary paperwork and they ship it to him. I pass the UPS guy as I was pulling into the drive of the shop with my intended prize! :evil:

So now I'm hitting all the local gun shops, and Goggling all the time to see if another gun shop site comes up with one. I find it amazing that when I wasn't interested in getting one I seen 2 or 3 at least every 6 or so months. Now that I'm looking for one it's like trying to see a deer the day after opening season. :(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:17 am 
Limited Edition

Wasn't the 220 a hammerless version of the 94?

Dean

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:51 am 
Tournament Grade

DeanMk wrote:
Wasn't the 220 a hammerless version of the 94?

Dean

Yes I believe it was as it used the same barrel, stock and forearm as the 94, the only difference that I'm aware of is the action (hammer v. hammerless). The action is recocked when the break lever is push to break open the action and at the same time resets the safety. I've heard of these guns slam firing but never experience it myself. I personally prefer the 220 over the 94 due to the lack of strenght in little hands that the hammer might slip and cause an accident.

Here is a picture of one of three of the 220A that I have for my grandchildren all in basically the same condition. The quest for the 220 is for me so that grandpa will have one just like theirs other then I plan on a couple of changes like a polychok and a vented rib to be added. I just don't like the trigger on the 220A as it forces my finger up into the bottom of the receiver, plus I don't like the manufacturer stamp on the receiver that too me just looks cheap (Yes I know it is). None of the 220 variances as far as I'm aware of has a serial number.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:13 pm 
Limited Edition

Yeah, that's what I thought.
Is that one in the pics a re-barrel?
Lots of difference in diameter of barrel and face of receiver.
My brother's 94 isn't nearly that bad.
...also, what's up with the forearm? Looks like its coming off at the rear.

Dean

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

DeanMk wrote:
Yeah, that's what I thought.
Is that one in the pics a re-barrel?
Lots of difference in diameter of barrel and face of receiver.
My brother's 94 isn't nearly that bad.
...also, what's up with the forearm? Looks like its coming off at the rear.

Dean

Here is all three 220A breech face in comparison to the barrel. I can't tell you if the one was rebarreled or not at some time as they are all as you see them as I purchase them, but they all have a bit of difference. As for the forearm I've seen this with 94s before as well. Could be they they didn't get wood to fit correctly or just through use have manage to bend the metal mounting. It's a economical gun designed when individuals didn't have a lot of money to pay for a gun to put food on the table, but I like them anyway.

Here is a 220 in 12ga that I own. The gun was in really rough shape when I purchased it. I thought it would make a great Deerslayer so I took it to a gunsmith friend of my and this is what we came up with. My idea, his abilities!

I find as I've gotten older I'm not as thrilled to carry a large heavy gun through the woods. My dad taught me that if you can't get it done with one shot you'll probably not get a second anyway!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:17 pm 
Limited Edition

stmichps,

Sorry if I came off harsh in my last post.
Unintentional, I assure you.
Took a look at my brother's 94, since that post and the difference seems to be about the same as what you show.
Again, apologies. Guess that's just how they were made.
I like these types of guns for the same reason you do (and it seems that is also the general consensus amongst most fans of single shots), although I need a bit of heft in the front end, thus my next gun will likely be an 12 ga. H&R with a 32" barrel.
That deer gun is a cool idea. Looks like it worked nicely.
What is the extension on the end of the barrel? Rifling for sabots?
Your father is a highly intelligent individual.
My brother once told me the same thing.
I have proven to myself, time and again, that they are both correct.

Dean

Last edited by DeanMk on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:32 pm 
Limited Edition

:shock: Testing my powers of observation :shock: ...

The gun on the left and the gun in the middle are the 220A's.
The gun on the right is your 220.

...my reasoning...

If you look closely, the gun on the left has "Selected Forged Steel Proof Tested 20 Gauge 2 3/4" Chamber" written on the chamber.
Your 220 has totally different wording in that area.
The gun in the middle has the largest differences between the diameter of the chamber and the diameter of the receiver, just like the gun I questioned you about in the prior post.
You mentioned that the gun in the first set of pics you posted was one of the 20 ga. 220A's you got for your grandsons.
This is the gun in the middle.
This leaves only the gun on the right as the only one unaccounted for, so that one is your modified 220.

...ok, now tell me how wrong I am. :mrgreen:

Dean

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

First off no apology necessary with me as no offense was taken.

To your second posting and powers of observation, actually all three are the 220A in 20ga. though you are correct that the middle one was the one in the previous photos.

Here is my collection of long guns thus far.

As you might have notice that the top one wasn't a shotgun but everyone except for my Deerslayer is a 20ga. I just love that gauge!

In order:

1.) Bushmaster XM15-E2S
2.) Remington 11-87 Youth (Home Defense) - 20ga.
3.) Savage 220 (Deerslayer) - 12ga.
4-6.) Savage 220A (grandkids so far) - 20ga.
7.) Remington Model 11 - 20ga.
8.) Browning Citori White Lightning - 20ga

In addition I don't remember mentioning that I had 3 grandsons yet, but I do have 3 grand daughters which I plan to teach how to camp, hunt and fish as I would the grandson some day. I don't believe that children should be stereo typed into certain activities because of their gender. I tried to teach my daughters these things but the oldest one never like the out of door as far as camping, hunting and fishing (strange seeing that her husband and her take their 2 girls camping :? ), while I thought I might get a partner with the youngest one until the boys started to notice her and she noticed them noticing. :(

Oh well! There is a new generation to teach and maybe I can still show their parents a thing or two.

And thank you for your comment concerning my Dad. He was a very intellegent guy, it's to bad that it took me so long to realize it and once I did he wasn't around long enough for me to really appreciate it. I miss him greatly.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:50 pm 
Limited Edition

Hey! No fair throwing in an extra 220A! ( ;) )....actually, looking back, you did mention that you had 3 of the A's. Missed that little factoid.
As for grandkids, you mentioned you had 3 in your first post, but I internalized that as grandsons.
Probably a bit of stereotyping on my part (or I'm just showing my age).
I do agree that the outdoors are for eveyone, regardless of gender (or anything else).
In regards to your youngest granddaughter, I don't think you've lost your shooting buddy, she's just taking a little time off for a while, to persue other interests. =)
Lastly, sorry to hear about the passing of your father. I lost mine in '94. I miss him, too.
Nice array of guns.

Dean

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

It was my youngest daughter that I thought was going to be my camping, hunting and fishing buddy. My youngest grand daughter is going to be 2 at the end of November my oldest grand daughter is about to celebrate her 5th.

Thanks for the compliment concerning my little collection. There is a few things that I want to add (a Savage 220, and either a Repo Parker or AH Fox of course all in 20ga.) before I head to the big upland in the sky. But for now I'm happy with what I got.

It's a hard thing to lose a parent. You think that they've been there all your life that they'll live forever and when they don't it comes as a shock. I'm sorry to hear of your lost as well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:45 pm 
Limited Edition

stmichps wrote:
Thanks for the compliment concerning my little collection. There is a few things that I want to add (a Savage 220, and either a Repo Parker or AH Fox of course all in 20ga.) before I head to the big upland in the sky. But for now I'm happy with what I got.

Re: Parker/Fox gun - Buying a new house might be cheaper, but check out these guys and see what cha' think.

Dean

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

DeanMk wrote:
stmichps wrote:

Re: Parker/Fox gun - Buying a new house might be cheaper, but check out these guys and see what cha' think.

Dean

The Reproduction Parker that I was referring to is one that was manufacture for Winchester back in the 1980s. They're generally around a high $3k to mid $4k depending on barrel length (most I believe were 26") stock and fore grip and whether double or single triggers. A AH Fox Sterlingworth can be had for approximately the same, when you get into grades is when you really see their price jump! Same with the Parkers but pricing is quit a bit higher then Foxs' in comparible grades.

I had a Fox Sterlingworth in 20ga. (surprise right!) some time back in the 70% percentile range, but decided to sell it to get a couple bills off my back. I think if I were to get another SxS again it probably would be the Fox, maybe a Philly AE grade and yes a 20ga. I would love to beable to afford a original Parker DHE in 20ga. but will have to settle for a Sterlingworth or the AE Fox, those are at least in my price range of affordability.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have long been the sworn, devoted enemy of four shotguns. 1. Any cheap single barrel 2. Any Winchester 1200/1300/1400/1500 or based theron 3. The last Stevens Model 67's, which were so cheaply made they didn't function 4. Cheap double guns.

Here lately I've come into the possession of two extremly high condition, low round count Stevens 311's in 20 and 12 gauge from the 1960's. This has caused me to reconsider my hatred of cheap double guns from Savage. If not abused or neglected to death, as many of them are, the 311 is a sturdy, well made, decently finished, sweet handling and affordable shotgun, and it's a shame that they are no longer made. It's also caused me to reconsider how nice it would be for an adult to own a hammerless single shot version of the Model 94, which would be in effect a single shot 311.

The single shot American market shotgun was sold in two broad classes. One was at the top end, of excellent quality and finish, for trap shots. The other was at the very bottom end, for somebody that wanted a shotgun that would go bang at the cheapest possible price. The hammerless "economy" single shots were rare as the proverbial hen's teeth, because the market for them demanded the cheapest there was. But I'll bet that a nice, low round count Stevens 220 is a lightweight joy to own and carry, and the older they are the better, just like the Stevens 311.

I want a really nice Stevens 220. There should be at least one exception to the rule that cheap single barrels are the nasiest, hardest kicking, worst handling shotguns ever sold to a gullible public who only wanted the cheapest gun on the rack,and a Stevens 220 should be that exception.

I still ain't gonna make up with those aluminum Winchesters. There are limits, you know.;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:46 am 
Limited Edition

Stoeger also made a cheap hammerless single, that has been praised by many, Layne Simpson being one of them.
The Stevens-Savage 311 was the middle tier of their sxs line-up.
Fox-B being most fancy, 511 being least fancy.
All were based on the same action.
I had a 511 20 ga., m/f with 26" barrels.
It was a bear to carry in the field, but it was a nice gun to shoot.

Dean

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:46 am 
Tournament Grade

DeanMk wrote:
Stoeger also made a cheap hammerless single, that has been praised by many, Layne Simpson being one of them.
The Stevens-Savage 311 was the middle tier of their sxs line-up.
Fox-B being most fancy, 511 being least fancy.
All were based on the same action.
I had a 511 20 ga., m/f with 26" barrels.
It was a bear to carry in the field, but it was a nice gun to shoot.

Dean

Here is a thread concerning the Stoeger single shot hammerless you might want to consider.

viewtopic.php?t=7792&p=39248

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:24 pm 
Limited Edition

Lol!
First bad thing I've heard/read about one of those, but then, notice how old that thread is.
They don't make (import) that gun anymore. Maybe that is why.
No worries, I have my sights set on a new H&R anyway.
Thanks for the heads up, though. =)

Dean

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

lowgun wrote:
Just for fun, I looked on the gun sites. You are in a world of hurt, buddy. You had better keep your nose to the ground because there isn't much out there except the new 220 which pollutes the internet market.

Update: Just stop into one of my local gun shops on a hunch and found a 220 in 20ga in what I would think is NRA 85% to 90%. Other then a few slight ware marks on the barrel and a couple of dings and scratchs on the forearm and stock, it's in great shape with a mirror bore and plenty of case coloring on the receiver. The trigger guard as usual has chip out of the enamel but like you said, keeping my nose to the ground finally paid off! :D

What makes this more exciting for me is that just last year I seen another 220 in 20ga in the same shop but not in anywhere the great shape this one is in. I had been debating on whether or not to buy it over several months when I finally decided too. I called to see if they still had it which they did but something came up where I could get there until the next day. Needless to say the next day was to late.

My mom always told me that there is always a reason for things happening the way that they do and to tell you the truth even as old as I am it's hard for me to see this from time to time. But apparently the reason I wasn't suppose to get the earlier one was that a "better" one was waiting for me even though a few more months down the road.

The other great thing about this 220 is the asking price was exactly the same as the one that got away at $150.00.

Life can be sweet at times!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:11 pm 
Limited Edition

What a great story!
Congrats on your purchase!

Dean