CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Loyall Dog Food
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:08 am 
Utility Grade

I have a very picky eater of a Springer Spaniel. I've tried just about every dog food that you can think of, except Loyall. Don't get me wrong, she'll eat, but only when she has gone so long that she's starving. I've started trying to get her out and running and ready for the upcoming season, but I want to make sure she's getting what she'll need for high endurance. Right now, she's eating Spaniel specific Eukanuba. Any thoughts on Loyall? It will take some effort for me to get it, because we don't have any dealers close by.

Post subject: Re: Loyall Dog Food
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:16 am 
Field Grade

Many people worry about how much their dogs eat.

You are already feeding a very good dog food. The only reason to change would be adverse reactions.

Feed your dog once a day in the evenings a measured amount. What it does not eat in a reasonable amount of time take it away and feed it left overs the next evening.

Your dog, if healthy, will not starve itself to death.

I feed four dogs at one time. Each dog is feed in it's own crate. Sometimes my GSP does not eat his ration. Guess what? He eats all of it the next day! I've kept dogs for more than 40 years and learned early on that they will not starve themselves to death. Be cautious if a normally hungry dog stops eating, it may be very sick.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:28 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks Z, I just haven't had a dog before that eats like she does. The other hunting dogs I've owned seemed to eat immediately and finish everything in their bowls pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:35 am 
Presentation Grade

I would like to hear some feedback on Loyall also. I would be cautious when considering a new food, remember the call backs from Diamond? Of course Nutrena has been around a long time and is a stand up company IMO

I tend to agree with Zolt, your feeding a 1st class food now. I know it's hard not to worry. Ive got 5 GSPs that have, what I consider, bad eating habits :lol: I use self feeders and just let them regulate themselves. Which the do a pretty good job of.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:31 pm 
Crown Grade

I have two GSP's male-female. The male is a non-stop conveyor belt when feeding and the female just takes her own sweet time. I feed once a day in the eve and that's just the way they are in their eating habits. It boils down to every dog is different and I've had bird dogs since I was 9 and I'm 72 now. Keep giving the good food to your dog and all will be well unless some sort of illness is involved.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

I saw a recent post on another site that said Loyall made by Nutrena is no longer going to be made. I have seen nothing to back this statement up so not sure how true it is.

Personally I've had really good luck with NutriSource.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:42 pm 
Limited Edition

I feed twice a day except when I work them, and then it's evening only. For those who stopped with Diamond, I did too. I found that 4Health, a tractor supply brand, was a very high quality food and it doesn't kill your wallet.

Here's a link to the 2 types I use:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/4health-tr ... ag-5149621

http://www.tractorsupply.com/4health-tr ... ag-6009468

The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:07 am 
Tournament Grade

lugmastro, TSC 4health is Diamond.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:10 pm 
Limited Edition

Different plants. Diamond recalls come out of SC, but the 4health comes out of another plant. Can't remember where.

The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:09 am 
Tournament Grade

Nutrena has had recalls on their pet food in the past before, it has been well over a year since this has happended, but it was not with the loyal brand if memory serves me.

Most pet food companies will have had a recall of some sort at one time or another.

Nutrisource is what I feed, due to the ingredients used especially their source of Selenium, which is Organic Chelated Selenium Yeast(anit-oxidant) and not Sodium Selenite(oxidant).

As well as their other yeast and mineral ingredients included, but that is just me and my OCD to nutrition for my animals as well as myself. I think I feed my animals way better than myself.

With that said my grandpa and dad have fed the cheapest feed store dog food they could find to every dog they ever owned and the majority of those dogs had long lives. Just my thoughts and nutrition back ground coming out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:16 pm 
Utility Grade

I have tried so many different types of dog food for my english pointer and did endless research online. My dog liked them all probably because dogs rarely say no to food. Here's what I came up with:

1) Purina ProPlan: He was fed this as a puppy and liked it a lot. But I changed when I saw the reviews that said it was pretty much at the bottom of the barrel when it came to quality. And I tried Proplan select also.

2) Native: tried this because I saw how it was made for hunting and sled dogs. Ok the marketing sold me,lol. He liked this a but wasn't crazy about it. A bit expensive

3) Merrick. High quality but very expensive!
4) Natural Balance: High quality but very expensive!
5) Blue Buffalo: High quality but very expensive!

The list goes on but to this day and after more research I settled on Costco's Kirkland. Yes believe it! It's rated middle of the road with some very good reviews. I know Diamond makes it but that recall thing is long gone. It's pretty good food and for $29 for a 40lb bag you can't go wrong. But I do mix it up now and then with Native and Proplan.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:17 pm 
Field Grade

lugmastro wrote:
Different plants. Diamond recalls come out of SC, but the 4health comes out of another plant. Can't remember where.

Yes, they were different plants, however right after the recall, I happened to be out of dog food. I went to tractor supply to buy some of this food. They were completely "sold out" of the performance formula and didn't know when they were getting another shipment. I didn't have a choice, had to switch, chose proplan performance and haven't looked back since.

Haven't found loyall for sale near me, so I haven't tried it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:25 pm 
Field Grade

Ill reply about Loyall. Good dog food..I have been using if for awhile for my 2 yo yellow male. Switched to the 30/20 blend for the duck season. He likes, maintains a good weight, nice coat, good endurance and it is fairly priced. Adult maintenance during the off season. I would highly recommend it.

-Hardcore

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire