CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Briley Side-Kicks: First Time Shooting Sub Gauge
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:04 pm 
Field Grade

I received my Side-Kick inserts from Briley on Friday for my Blaser F3 SS. I went with the 28ga and 20ga only, skipped the .410. I went out yesterday and tested out the 28ga first as I figured it would be the lesser performer of the two out of a 12ga barrel. This was also my first time shooting a sub gauge of any type so I was pretty excited about that as well. I figured that the chokes in my gun wouldn't have much of an effect on the 28ga insert so I kept the IC/IC combo in that was already in the gun. I was pleasantly surprised at how well they worked! I shot 83/100 on sporting clays. This is a course that I usually shoot 85-90 on with my 12 gauge, so all in all I thought they worked well. :D

I shot a few different brands of shells to see if there were any issues with the shells getting stuck in the tubes ect. I shot Win AA in #8, Rio #7.5 and Estate #7.5. All were 3/4 oz loads and functioned flawlessly. The built in extractors in the side-kicks even ejected the shells out just like my gun usually ejects out the 12ga hulls.

Next I will test out the 20ga inserts. Being that the 20ga is closer to the 12 I am thinking the chokes in my 12ga barrel may have more of an effect on the pattern than they did on the 28ga. Does anyone have any experience with that? Would it be wiser to run one choke tighter? For instance if I am shooting IC distances with the 20ga inserts should I try using LM choked in the 12ga barrel?

Last edited by JW74 on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: First Time Shooting Sub Gauge
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:48 pm 
Crown Grade

I have Seminole Chamber Mates 20ga inserts for my 12ga, and they work fine.

I use the same chokes whether I'm shooting 12 or 20.

brad g.

Post subject: Re: First Time Shooting Sub Gauge
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:11 am 
Field Grade

ysr_racer wrote:
I have Seminole Chamber Mates 20ga inserts for my 12ga, and they work fine.

I use the same chokes whether I'm shooting 12 or 20.

Thanks ysr.

Post subject: Re: Briley Side-Kicks: First Time Shooting Sub Gauge
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:29 am 
Diamond Grade

I shoot Sidekicks for sub gauge FITASC. Shoot M/IM with AA Super Sports in 20 gauge. They work great. Anything other than AA or STS is an issue. Steel bases stick alot in my Sidekicks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:29 pm 
Field Grade

I tested out the 20ga side-kicks today and had one issue. Both inserted into my gun just fine but it seems the side-kick tubes are slightly over diameter as it put just enough pressure against the ejector on my gun that it wouldn't move on the top barrel only. The bottom barrel worked fine when I tried each tube. With the ejector not being able to move freely I was not able to close the barrel on my gun. I tried the other side-kick tube in the same barrel and had the same problem. It seems the the 20ga tubes are both a micro-hair over diameter for the top barrel of my Blasser. Funny as both the 28ga side-kicks worked great. I guess the best thing to do now would be to send all of them back to Briley and have them double check the dimensions of the 20ga tubes against those of the 28ga tubes that worked trouble free. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:46 am 
Diamond Grade

Make sure the ejector and tube is lubed. Sometimes I have to give the tube a nudge with my thumb when closing but thats not often. I also run a bore snake in the bbls when changing tubes. The bbls/chambers must be clean. Lots of blow back as you can see in your receiver. Gun gets dirty three times faster when shooting Sidekicks. It all has to do with the pressure those little plastic knobs on the tubes apply to the chamber.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:19 am 
Utility Grade

I have the same problem with the 20ga side-kicks I just received. I called Briley (2 different times) and finally got an answer. I was told that this is a common problem with Blasers. He said there is some sort of issue with the ejectors on some of the f3 barells. He told me that I would have to send in my barells so they could make the side-kicks work properly. Call Briley and be sure to ask for Stormy. The first guy I talked to wasn't any help.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:26 am 
Crown Grade

Ysr ever have trouble using non premium. Ammo. I always use aa but wondered about using cheaper stuff if it will eject

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:13 pm 
Field Grade

lhrw5 wrote:
I have the same problem with the 20ga side-kicks I just received. I called Briley (2 different times) and finally got an answer. I was told that this is a common problem with Blasers. He said there is some sort of issue with the ejectors on some of the f3 barells. He told me that I would have to send in my barells so they could make the side-kicks work properly. Call Briley and be sure to ask for Stormy. The first guy I talked to wasn't any help.

Thanks for the info, that's interesting about the Blasser barrels! I called them this morning as well. What they told me was to lightly file the tab on the side-kick and then retry it. I filed the tab down a little and it now works. I just need to make sure I put that tube in the upper barrel each time. It took a couple times filing and fitting to get it right as I didn't want to over file the tab. Once this shooting season is over I may send my barrel to Briley and have it properly fit once and for all.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:03 am 
Utility Grade

JW74.......The first time I called I was told the same thing.....file the tab on the side. My problem was that when I did and finally got them to work, the tubes fit so loose that I can push them in by hand (no hammer) and the one actually came out when ejecting a shell. Maybe my barell/ejectors are a little worse than yours as my tubes didn't fit in either barell. My only option now is to return the tubes or send in the barells. I will probably send the barells in as the tubes are in need of repair also to replace the tab. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:11 am 
Diamond Grade

They are telling you exactly what I previously posted. Use steel wool not sandpaper or file and gently remove some plastic from the plastic knob on the side of the tube. If you have a problem with fitting take plumbers tape and wrap it around the tube where the knob is located for a tighter fit. I have replaced the glued on plastic knobs on all mine at one time or another. It's a friction fit. Sidekicks aren't fitted tubes. One size fits all. Briley turns around tubes in about a week when sent back.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

Got a question. Is there an advantage with full length tubes compared to side-kicks?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:50 pm 
Field Grade

lt0026 wrote:
They are telling you exactly what I previously posted. Use steel wool not sandpaper or file and gently remove some plastic from the plastic knob on the side of the tube. If you have a problem with fitting take plumbers tape and wrap it around the tube where the knob is located for a tighter fit. I have replaced the glued on plastic knobs on all mine at one time or another. It's a friction fit. Sidekicks aren't fitted tubes. One size fits all. Briley turns around tubes in about a week when sent back.

When you replaced the plastic knob did you send the tube back to Briley and have them glue on a new teflon tab? If so what did they charge or did they replace them for nothing?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:51 pm 
Field Grade

lhrw5 wrote:
JW74.......The first time I called I was told the same thing.....file the tab on the side. My problem was that when I did and finally got them to work, the tubes fit so loose that I can push them in by hand (no hammer) and the one actually came out when ejecting a shell. Maybe my barell/ejectors are a little worse than yours as my tubes didn't fit in either barell. My only option now is to return the tubes or send in the barells. I will probably send the barells in as the tubes are in need of repair also to replace the tab. Good luck.

I'm wondering if I sanded the plastic tab down too much as I can push the tun almost all the way in... It doesn't eject when I open the barrel though. The true test will be when I try it this weekend I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:59 am 
Diamond Grade

xsshooter wrote:
Ysr ever have trouble using non premium. Ammo. I always use aa but wondered about using cheaper stuff if it will eject

Don't use steel based ammo like fiocchi. I've had the best patterns with AA super sports. They seem to like the higher velocity ammo in my gun.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:18 am 
Diamond Grade

They replaced the tabs no charge. Sometimes they charge just shipping. Turned around in a week. They will also give you credit towards full length tubes if you trade in your Sidekicks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:17 pm 
Crown Grade

xsshooter wrote:

I use Estate 20ga, and it works fine.

As far as full length tubes, I've never had the need, my Chamber Mates work just fine.

brad g.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:01 pm 
Crown Grade

thanks Brad, I may have to try some non premium brands and see how it goes

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

Post subject: Briley Side-Kicks: First Time Shooting Sub Gauge
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

xsshooter wrote:
thanks Brad, I may have to try some non premium brands and see how it goes

I'm surprised to hear non-premium shells worked. I always had stuck shell problems on 20 & 28 gauge. Eventually I got a 20/28 two-barrel gun...then used a 28 to .410 ChamberMate. I can use cheap .410 shells without problems.

I.S.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:30 am 
Diamond Grade

RA, For me its all about balance. The Sidekicks even though they are short add some weight in the lower bbl which throws off the balance of my 625 some. My gun feels alot more balanced to me but heavier with full length tubes. Everyone has different taste in feel and balance. Still can't beat Sidekicks for the price and ability to trade them in @ full value to Brliey if you want full length later on. See you @ RC this weekend.