CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hornady 366 repair
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:46 pm 
Limited Edition

I hope OldSkeeter sees this, but anyone who can help save me some time would great! Apparently I just broke the spring that returns the pawl arm assembly (please forgive me if I don't use the exact part name) on my 410 366. When I raise the handle the pawl no longer moves to the right to rotate the shell plate. Anyway I happened to buy some spare parts per someones recommendation years ago so I actually have what looks like the correct spring. I'm not bent towards repairing stuff, but can usually reassemble something. In this case I can see a spring hanging down that doesn't belong there. At least it doesn't hang down on my other 366's. Please could someone give me some direction on how to repair this? When its on the bottom like that I get this ominous feeling that the whole machine has to be dissembled to replace it. Thanks in advance for your help, Chuck

Post subject: Re: Hornady 366 repair
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Naw...simple fix!

You will want to remove the measure casting assembly (powder/shot bottles, etc.). Be sure you close both the shot and powder shut-offs or you will make a mess. One thumbscrew on the side of the measure casting assembly comes out and the whole think tilts over and can be removed.

The easiest way to replace the spring is to lay the press on its side, but if you have to do it standing upright, it can be done. Pull the handle all the way down to get some space under the platen. The pivot arm is held in place with a C-clip. Remove it by slipping a screwdriver into one of the open spots and twist gently. Be sure you don't lose the clip when you pop it off. Use a rag to contain it when it pops off.

The pivot arm will slide off the shaft. While it is off, use the opportunity to clean up the inevitable crud under it. Oil the shaft, slip the new spring in place and start the pivot arm onto the shaft. You will need to rotate the spring end a bit to get the hook over the pivot arm. Replace the C-clip, reinstall the measure casting assembly and go back to reloading.

Romans 8:1

Last edited by OldSkeeter on Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:22 pm 
Limited Edition

OldSkeeter you are the man! I'm very familiar with removing the powder/shot drop and bottle assembly. Asking for help has turned out to be the easy way. And, thanks for the reminder about covering the c-clip when removing it - spent hours crawling on the floor looking for one. Just in case I did not get a quick response I reviewed an exploded drawing I have of whole machine. Forgot I had it. Anyway sounds and looks pretty simple as you say. BTW do you have list of parts you keep so you don't have to wait for a replacment?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

cmmccoy wrote:
OldSkeeter you are the man! I'm very familiar with removing the powder/shot drop and bottle assembly. Asking for help has turned out to be the easy way. And, thanks for the reminder about covering the c-clip when removing it - spent hours crawling on the floor looking for one. Just in case I did not get a quick response I reviewed an exploded drawing I have of whole machine. Forgot I had it. Anyway sounds and looks pretty simple as you say. BTW do you have list of parts you keep so you don't have to wait for a replacment?

I pretty much keep a supply of those things I think can wear out, break or get lost, such as springs, wad guides and C-clips. Parts are usually easy to get for the 366, so beyond that, I don't keep much on hand except for what is excess from a previous rebuild. I periodically buy an old 366 with lots of miles on it and refurbish it for sale. Sometimes I will order some parts that are questionable and when I get into the rebuild, find I don't need them, so they go in the parts box.

You should have no trouble replacing your return spring. They are pretty durable, so I'm a little surprised it broke but then everything has a service life and it is not the same for otherwise identical parts. BTW, the straight end of the spring goes into a hole in the press body to keep it from rotating. It can be a little hard to see the hole, but it is there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:46 pm 
Limited Edition

Well its done and working smoothly. I did have to remove the pawl so the arm could come out. No big deal and when I looked at the exploded drawing it looked like I might have too. Regarding the straight end of the spring I did not see a hole for it unless the deep groove where I put it is what you mean. Because after assembly the straight end is so deep in that groove it would surprise me if it comes out. Moreover I had to put some tension on the spring to get it into the groove. It did not take much pressure but I did find it necessary use a screw driver to get it over the edge and slide it up in there. Maybe if I had seen the hole, and put the spring in there it would have made manipulating the spring and arm back in there a little easier. Oh well, nothing looks out of place, but lacking repair experience that may not mean much. After a little cleanup and lube it works as smooth as ever. Thanks again for your help.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

cmmccoy wrote:
Well its done and working smoothly. I did have to remove the pawl so the arm could come out. No big deal and when I looked at the exploded drawing it looked like I might have too. Regarding the straight end of the spring I did not see a hole for it unless the deep groove where I put it is what you mean. Because after assembly the straight end is so deep in that groove it would surprise me if it comes out. Moreover I had to put some tension on the spring to get it into the groove. It did not take much pressure but I did find it necessary use a screw driver to get it over the edge and slide it up in there. Maybe if I had seen the hole, and put the spring in there it would have made manipulating the spring and arm back in there a little easier. Oh well, nothing looks out of place, but lacking repair experience that may not mean much. After a little cleanup and lube it works as smooth as ever. Thanks again for your help.

No, you got it right. I should have said "slot" or "groove;" hole gives the wrong impression. The problem was that I knew what I meant and I didn't make sure anyone else would get the same meaning. Oops...sorry.

Yes, I should have also mentioned removing the pawl itself. Since it is a one-screw deal it just slipped by me.

Glad you got it working.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Old Skeeter,
What generous and accurate advice.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

mike cross wrote:
Old Skeeter,
What generous and accurate advice.

Thanks, Mike. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:27 pm 
Limited Edition

Hope I'm not becoming a pain OldSkeeter. You mentioned that rebuild 366's. I've been thinking about putting together a 20 ga head and die set so I could make one of my 366's dual purpose. Would you be interested in helping me do that, or letting me pay you to do it? This could evolve into some communication that might be better handled by email. If you're amenable my email address is cmccoy6990@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Never "a pain" to talk with reloaders about the Hornady 366! Setting up a complete die head is a fairly simple task. I suspect you could do it with a little coaching. I'll send you an e-mail tomorrow (I just got home from a meeting and it's late, so not sure how coherent I would be doing it now.

Talk to you tomrrow.