CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: International opinion requested....Superposed Special Skeet
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

Have any of you international skeet shooting gentlemen owned or shot this model?

Being a Superposed I assume parts are available? 1972 model.

Thanks, pitchpopper.

Post subject: Re: International opinion requested....Superposed Special Sk
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:58 am 
Limited Edition

I have. There are pros and cons to an FN skeet gun. First, those guns are the best for balance and pointability. No other gun can touch a Belgian in this regard. The downside is that they tend to be very light in weight. I shot two belgian skeet guns that were for sale. they weighed 2.9 kg and 3.2 kg each. That's 6.5 lbs and 7.0 lbs, respectively. The guns were properly weighted for skeet as it was then when everybody shot swing through. With the preferred technique now being sustained lead, a heavier gun is favored. Kim Rhode shoots a 3.8 kg Perazzi. That is an 8.4 lb gun, almost a full 2 lbs heavier than the Browning. As for the year, 1972 is a good one. The salt wood years are 66-71, so that gun should have escaped the salt wood. If the gun is still in the hands of the original owner and is a salt wood gun, Browning will still replace the wood for free.

The 3.2 kg gun is for sale in the NL for EUR 3500 and could be imported into the US. It is a Franz Beeckelaers gun. Franz worked at Browning. He bought up all the old plain Jane Belgians and restocked them and engraved them. He hired recently retired Browning master stockers and master engravers to come to his shop and rework those guns into works of art. In some respects, they are better than what Liege was offering. If it were only 400 grams heavier, I would buy it in a heart beat.

As for spare parts, this is not an issue. My buddy with the 3.2 kg gun I referred to in the immediately preceding paragraph has a 5 lifetimes worth of spare parts. He went to Liege and had them make spare ejectors, extractors, firing pins, hammers, springs, etc, out of premium grade steels. The real difference between a Citori and an FN is that the Citori uses cheaper grades of steel whereas the Belgian uses superior grades of steel. He had Browning make him spares using only the best grades of steel. You could do the same or simply have Art's or Midwest maintain your gun.

NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:53 am 
Crown Grade

jerrys, is there any chance that you could post some pictures of these custom Superposed guns? Maybe you could give us a website address where we could see them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:59 am 
Crown Grade

In the US, International Skeet has been shot with eight pound plus guns since the seventies when the Krieghoffs and Remington Model 3200 became popular for the game. These guns are 8 1/2 to 8 3/4 pounds from the box. There are some Superposed guns that would approach that weight, specifically trap and 3" magnum models. There is no real reason why the Superposed could not shoot reasonable scores in the International Skeet sport if the shooter refrains from wild swings that light guns allow.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:30 am 
Limited Edition

lowgun wrote:
jerrys, is there any chance that you could post some pictures of these custom Superposed guns? Maybe you could give us a website address where we could see them.

sure. Here is one example from a gun shop in the NL

http://www.wapensvermeulen.nl/0000009c2 ... index.html

look at items 437 and 438

This gun started off life as the lowest end B25. It would have had a blued receiver with minimal engraving.

this gun also started off as a bottom feeder with a blue receiver and no engraving.

here is another from http://www.geweermakerij.nl/www/?page=w ... cat_id=21#
like all the others, it would have started off with a blued receiver and minimal or no engraving.

Where Beeckelaers really outdid Browning was on the engraving on the stocks. You get an idea from this gun here how much better the wood was on his guns than what Liege had to offer

NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:52 am 
Crown Grade

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:40 am 
Diamond Grade

Just my opinion, but, provided the light weight doesn't lead to wild swings, and with a properly balanced but overall light gun, I doubt this would be an issue after a period of getting used to it, I don't think the lower weight will represent a recoil issue. Even with the higher velocities often loaded, 24 grms is a low throw weight. I like 1250 fps and nothing higher but I know many prefer higher velocities. Again, only my opinion, but I don't think the lighter weight in a well balanced gun will be a big deal for International.