CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester model 36 9mm Shotgun Rimfire
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:52 pm 
Utility Grade

[b]Could someone please help me. I inherited this shotgun and Im not a gun person at all. I have seen the value of these in such a wide range and do not know what condition mine would fall into. Also how would I go about selling it if I decided to. Thanks for your advise and opinions! Im not sure how to post pics but can email them upon request.

Post subject: Re: Winchester model 36 9mm Shotgun Rimfire
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:32 pm 
Crown Grade

The Blue Book of Gun Values is the guide most buyers and sellers use. Here's what it has to say about a Winchester Model 36.
WINCHESTER MODEL 36 SINGLE SHOT. 9 mm Rimfire caliber, long shot, short shot and ball. 18 inch round barrel, single shot bolt action, guns were not serial numbered, one piece plain stock and forearm, special shaped trigger guard, 2 3/4 pounds. 20.000 made between 1920 and 1927 Values:
100%-N/A, 98%-$1,700, 95%-$1,500, 90%-$1,300, 80%-$1.050 ,70%-4895, 60%-$750, 50%-$595, 40%-$495, 30%-$395, 20%-$295 and10%-$195.
The percentage figures refere to the remaining original finish on the metal and wood and assume that the gun is in a safe and complete mechanical condition for shooting. If you are not familiar with guns, you can take the gun to a gun dealer, shop or gunsmith (look them up in the yellow pages) for an appraisal. Many will give you a written appraisal but may charge for it. They can also advise you on the sale of your gun. Gun shops and dealers will not give you a full value for a gun. After all they are in business to make a profit. Most will only give 40 to 60 percent of retail value. You can also offer the gun for sale on any of the gun auction sites on the internet like Gun Broker.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:06 pm 
Crown Grade

noreservegirl wrote:

I have seen the value of these in such a wide range and do not know what condition mine would fall into.

If you visit a local (and hopefully friendly) gun shop, they might have a copy (any old year/issue will do) of THE BLUE BOOK OF GUN VALUES, that you could look at - but not for the gun values.

The front portion of every issue has several pages, full of color photos of various different guns in varying percentages of remaining original condition, so readers can observe about what a 50%, 70% or a 90% gun should look like.

If worse comes to worse, the shops usually will have new BBGV's on sale (around $55, IIRC).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:32 pm 
Crown Grade

Be advised that the values given in the Blue Book are average values determined by values supplied by gun dealers and shops. They are by no means, firm and final values. Sometimes these old guns can bring much higher values when sold through various gun auctions or may be lower depending on the demand for an old gun at the time of sale. There are a couple of other books that also give values like The Standard Catalog of Firearm and The Official Price Guide to Antique And Modern Firearms

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:12 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you all so much and I did go and look through that book on gun values. That was a lot of great information you all gave me. I have listed it for sale in bolt action classifieds of this site and hopefully I listed it in the correct category {hs# . I did also take it to a gun dealer and was able to get some hands on about the gun and condition issues. I passed on his offer of 350 based on what I learned from you guys that I would only get about 50% of what it was worth and would much rather see it go to someone who really wants it and not just for resale. Thanks for everything guys.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:05 am 
Crown Grade

And thank you for the comeback. So few correspondents do that. I even had one chastise the board for not answering his question as if we owed him an answer. I must say you took our advice correctly (and fast too). The guys on these board are a nice bunch and will do almost anything to help someone. Not all of us are gun nuts, some of us are firearms enthusists.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:01 pm 
Utility Grade

No, the thanks goes to you all who are eager and willing to share your knowledge about this subject. I have spent years doing online research for vintage and mid century collectibles so I understand how much study, reading and what it means to be filled with a passion about something that just drives you daily. Im glad I found this forum and I will be back often cause not only did I get information about the shotgun when I was at the dealer yesterday. I bought a .45 and will be taking my CC within a couple weeks and also Im joining the NRA. Watch out world another girl with a gun!!!!LOL Thanks again guys...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:32 pm 
Crown Grade

noreservegirl wrote:

I bought a .45 and will be taking my CC within a couple weeks and also Im joining the NRA.

In that case,............
not only is a welcome to SGW indicated, but also WELCOME TO THE CLUB ! ! . {hs#

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:46 pm 
Crown Grade

You're not in California or New York if you visited a gun dealer for information about an old gun and wound up buying a .45. A Texas Ranger was asked why he carried a .45. He said it was because they didn't make a .46.