CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning A5 30"-32"
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:59 pm 
Utility Grade

Just getting started shooting trap and trying to buy used gun. Will a browning A5 work for trap?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:27 pm 
Limited Edition

Yes, however.....
The A-5 is obviously a classic gun and can indeed be used to shoot trap but unless you create your own rig (usually consisting of a rubber band or some other home made implement) there are no commercially available shell catchers available to my knowledge. So you'll be raining shells down on whoever is standing next to you and quite possibly bouncing them off of their gun. That's kind of a big no-no in the common courtesy department of trap shooting. Not just because it's annoying but if you ding the stock on someone else's $5,000 O/U it tends to ruffle feathers.

Aside from that, (and someone may chime in with a solution) I enjoy shooting trap with my A-5. I use to stand next to one of my buddies until I discovered that putting a worn out spring in the gun will cause the gun to not cycle fully, thus not ejecting the shell. Therefore I can manually open the bolt after each shot to easily eject the shell into my hand so that it doesn't tick anybody off. Because the spring is so worn, it requires little effort to pull the bolt back repeatedly all night. It beats the heck out of putting a rubber band on it in my opinion even though it's kind of hillbilly engineered. ; )

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Post subject: Re: Browning A5 30
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

Welcome to the forum. The A5 would not be my first choice, I find it a bit heavy (around 9lbs). You can use most any shotgun for trap, but some will work better than others. To do well at trap you need a gun that fits you and that feels good when you pull it to your shoulder. I use my 725 for all clay events and it does just fine. I'm sure other will have opinion on what works best for them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:55 am 
Crown Grade

Take a good hard look at a new Browning BPS (pump) trap model. Has bottom eject and is a great target gun on the trap fields. Quality is unsurpassed also...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

I use my Browning Auto-5 lightweight 12 to shoot trap. Since there a lot of different folks shooting trap I try to avoid shooting with the people who use the expensive shotguns. I haven't always been successful but have had no issues with my expended shell hitting anyone or their guns. I think that also must depend on the range you are at. Where I shoot the shells don't even come close to hitting fellow shooters.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:46 am 
Crown Grade

I dislike using a conventional right side ejecting autoloader for trap shooting. The guy to my right is always ducking spent shells and whispering something nasty under his breath...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:10 am 
Limited Edition

Shell catchers. Or as I said with an A5, use an intentionally worn spring. It will fire, just not eject. Then do it manually.

-Nick

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:30 pm 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

I use a Browning A5 for trap it is my go to shotgun. The shotgun is one of the best shooting shotguns made! When I do my part it proves it! when i do not, do my part the most exspensive shotgun made will not break me any more birds!

It put my name in the Arizona Trap Assocation book as a champion!

AS for ejecting the empties? Why? I set my A5 up as if for heavey loads, this means I have to open the bolt by hand every shot but it also means NO! BODY! has to worry about my hulls BUT ME!

It also means that I have a recoil reducer, with out having to spend anymore money. The barrel moving just a little when the gun is fired does the same thing as the recoil reducers in the butstock do, it is just the front of the gun.

My dad started teaching me how to work on guns at an early age, so I now have more then 4 decades. rebluing is my base skill, repair is my joy.

I thank the Good Lord for My Abilities and my dad for the opportunity.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:49 pm 

Big Az Al wrote:
AS for ejecting the empties? Why? I set my A5 up as if for heavey loads, this means I have to open the bolt by hand every shot but it also means NO! BODY! has to worry about my hulls BUT ME!

That's what I do with all of my Long Recoil operated models when shooting singles trap. Set in the heavy setting and use light loads with a dry magazine tube. Gun goes bang with no shell ejected, hence no need for a shell catcher or rubber band around the receiver.

The A5 will work just fine for trap if that's what you like. They have low ribs which some shooters don't like in a trap gun.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:34 am 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

Quote:
The A5 will work just fine for trap if that's what you like. They have low ribs which some shooters don't like in a trap gun.

I started with with a cheek eze 1/4 inch foam pad stock on my stock gave me a 70/30 POI and got me a lot of trap targets.

Later I added the adjustable comb hardware.

My dad started teaching me how to work on guns at an early age, so I now have more then 4 decades. rebluing is my base skill, repair is my joy.

I thank the Good Lord for My Abilities and my dad for the opportunity.