CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg 500 shooting high
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:18 pm 
Field Grade

I have a new 500 12 ga. with a 20" barrel and factory "turkey sights". The gun will be my buckshot deer hunting gun. I patterned it today at 30 yds. and with sights adjusted as far down as they go it still shoots high with any type of round I used. Now I'm not a big fan of these type sights so I may not keep them on but I'm trying to think of a way to correct the problem. If I was to go to a standard tru glo type front sight only would it need to be low profile or high since its shooting high?

Post subject: Re: Mossberg 500 shooting high
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Lee,

When a gun shoots too high, there are two ways to correct it: raise the front sight or lower the back sight.

Email me at rollin@stockfitting.com. Put "POI calculator in the subject line and in reply, I will attach an automatic POI calculator that will tell you how much you would need to lower the back sight to make the gun shoot lower. You can use that information to determine how much to raise the front sight.

To use the calculator however, you will need to have Microsoft Office on your computer because the calculator uses MS Office's Excel to do the mathematical computation.

Author: Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition - Gun-fitting & shooting instruction for shooters of all ages and disciplines. http://www.amazon.com in their book section.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:06 pm 
Field Grade

These are snap on type sights so I don't see any way to move them farther. The front is fixed and the rear I removed the elevation screw to get it as far down as possible. So I'm thinking I'll look at just getting a front bead or tru glo wing shooting type sight.

I will email you and thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:11 pm 
Field Grade

Here is how high I was above POA, POA was the piece of tape at bottom.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:35 am 
Utility Grade

hey bud you should try differnt ammo cause some guns react differnt to ammo esspecialy in the case with shotguns and buck or bird shot. Also try adjusting your sitght picture by purchasing a length of pull kit or so some type of cheek riser.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

READY-HOT11 wrote:
hey bud you should try differnt ammo cause some guns react differnt to ammo esspecialy in the case with shotguns and buck or bird shot. Also try adjusting your sitght picture by purchasing a length of pull kit or so some type of cheek riser.

Hey BUD.......he is already shooting HIGH. He does NOT want to raise his cheek any higher as that would only compound the problem!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:47 pm 
Crown Grade

A acquittance of was a big time turkey hunter and he always used a red dot on his 1100 auto-loader. He said it was the best sight for the purpose and easiest to get on target? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:57 pm 
Limited Edition

That's a good pattern, what load and choke are you using ?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A red dot sight is the only way to go for such a rig, IMO.

But before you switch iron sights, try the same load and sight picture at 50 and 75 yards. You may find that the POI is right on the money at maximum range.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:28 pm 
Field Grade

shley65 wrote:
That's a good pattern, what load and choke are you using ?

Federal 2.75" tactical hd low recoil #1 buck. Don't let that sway you from hunting deer with it. Its a little slower than some buckshot but the pattern should make up for it plus I read #1 penetrates better than 00.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:32 pm 
Field Grade

READY-HOT11 wrote:

read my post again, I tried different loads.

I have now corrected the problem by adding about 1/16" height to the front sight, I'm not using a rear sight just a fiber (bead) on front.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mossberg supplies shims to add more "drop" to you stock, which may also help.

If you don't have them, call Mossberg, they'll probably send you a set for free...

Smitty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:43 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey BUD.......he is already shooting HIGH. He does NOT want to raise his cheek any higher as that would only compound the problem!![/quote]
so I guess there is not a thing called sight picture and sight alignment then, " if " there is and he raises his cheek to the relation of the sights then the shot is lower WOW IT REALLY WORKS!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:58 pm 
Utility Grade

well i guess he's got it all figured out must not needed much help after all !!!