CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shooting rifled slugs out of field barrel , choke type?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:07 am 
Field Grade

If I want to shoot rifled slugs out of my Mossberg 500 field barrel, what type of choke should I use? I would only be using this smooth bore field barrel along with my smooth bore short tactical barrel to punch paper at the shooting range. I don't want to damage the field barrel which requires a choke. Thanks again, Howard

Post subject: Re: Shooting rifled slugs out of field barrel , choke type?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:04 am 
Limited Edition

I always used IC before I switched to a rifled barrel.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:27 am 
Crown Grade

You have to try 'em all, and with different brands of slugs to see which shoots best in YOUR gun.

Most people have been brainwashed by the gun companies and sporting magazines to use IC, but the two most accurate slug guns I ever saw (both had scopes on them), had different fixed chokes - one was a Modified barrel, the other Full. They always shot 100 yard five-shot groups inside of 3". Of course, both guns were only capable of this with the barrels cleaned of lead every 25 rounds. (Slugs do leave lead in the bores!)

And one of the guns would only do this with Winchester slugs (the one with the Mod barrel), the other only with Remington slugs (The one with the Full bbl.)

I owned the one with the Mod bbl., and it has taken well over its share of deer, at ranges of 5 yards, on out to about 125 yards. It is great to own a shotgun with that capability.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As has been said previously; The general understood/advised info is that I/C works best.....I'd hesitate to say that is a universal truth.....
I'd test all the chokes in my gun.....and do so with a number of different brands...(foster type slugs only, obviously)....
As to whether any damage might happen to your barrel by using slugs through a tight choke....It shouldn't happen using any normal/regular choke...IE; I/C, Mod. or Full......
I wouldn't advise that to be true with chokes tighter than full...like some called X Full, or XX Full, Card shooting chokes that can be extraordinarily tight, or anything referred to as a Turkey/long range choke......

If you have the means to measure bore and constriction and compare them....a good rule of thumb might be that anything greater than .039" in a 12ga gun would be getting into the "too tight" realm.....IMO......Art

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:04 am 
Field Grade

Thanks awesome responses appreciate the help!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:50 am 
Presentation Grade

Here is a decent article I found on this.

http://www.buckmasters.com/choose-the-right-slug.aspx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:59 pm 
Field Grade

Great article, thanks