CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shotgun stock dimensions
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:32 pm 
Utility Grade

I recently bought a Beretta 686 in 3.5" and looking to swap the stock set out for something more suited to a left hander.

I'm looking at some second hand stocks and was wondering if someone could explain the differences in dimensions between field, sporting, skeet and trap stocks from a Beretta perspective.

Also, do stock sets from 682, 687 models interchange with 686 stock sets ?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Shotgun stock dimensions
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:43 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

A good gunsmith who knows how to work with wood can alter the inletting and give that stock you have a little cast on. There is no need to trade out the stock. Yu might be able to buy a butt stock with cast on from Beretta.

I think that a 686 and a 687 will work but not sure about the others. Field sporting and skeet stocks are usually fairly close to the same. A trap stock will have a higher comb.

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers." Aldo Leopold

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:19 pm 
Crown Grade

Stock sets of 682, 686 and 687s interchange, but all require a bit of fitting by someone who knows what he's doing.

Competition (Sporting, Skeet) stocks in 12 Gauge are a bit thicker and taller at the butt. They require larger buttpads and feel a bit "beefier" than Field stocks for 680 series guns. Drop may be slightly different, between Skeet and Sporting.

Trap stocks would be a poor choice for anything but Trap.

Like astomb said, since these stocks do require fitting, you should be able to get this one tweaked a bit so you have cast on.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:53 pm 
Limited Edition

You might look at pfs stock. I had to change shoulder a few years ago. I tried to get the b stock to fit. Finally gave up. I bought a pfg stock you can adjust it 9 ways from hell until you get a prefect fit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:44 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the replies.

olddog45,

Strangely enough I saw one of these PFS stocks over the weekend at a clay shoot and was wondering what it was. It looked like something out of a Terminator movie.

How have you found their claim that it reduces recoil by up to 50% ? Is it a practical stock for field use ?