CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 7/8 oz Trap Load
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:16 pm 
Field Grade

I'm new to the reloading business & only started doing it because I have a bad shoulder & need to reduce the recoil. I shoot a Beretta A400 w/ Kickoff system & that really helps (allows me to shoot promo loads) but I also have a Ruger Redlabel O/U that i want to shoot from time to time. I have been using this recipe for a skeet load : Remington STS Hull, 7/8 oz #9 shot, 18 gr clays powder, WAA12L wad & CCI 209 primer. Is there a better load out there that I can use for both trap & skeet or just a good load for trap? Should I be using #8 for trap. I notice on windy days I can't hit anything with the reloads. Thanks & I love this forum.

Post subject: Re: 7/8 oz Trap Load
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:09 am 
Crown Grade

7/8oz is plenty for skeet and 16 yrad trap. If you move back to handicap distances some say you need more lead. International trap (bunker trap) limits load to just under 7/8oz and those targets are way tougher than American trap.

As to shot size, 8's are fine. I prefer 7.5's just cause. A lot of things in reloading are preference oriented.

You might look into trying ClayDot. It's an American made alternative to Clays. Much cheaper and loads using the same loads just different bushings due to differing densities.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:36 am 
Crown Grade

I use the exact same thing except a NS primer, but I don't use it for trap. However I agree, use 7.5's when you load for trap. If you used only one shot size, it would probably be a lot easier to use 7.5's in skeet than 9's in trap. Atleast that has been the case in my experience.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:38 am 
Limited Edition

Hi

I load similar but only 16.5 grs powder. Enough for me and less felt recoil.

Regards

W&W

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:50 am 
Field Grade

I shoot American Skeet and Bunker Trap. Like you, I want to keep all the components the same....hull, powder, primer, wad, shot size.

I shoot 24 grams of Magnum #8 shot at everything. I load with Alliant Extra Lite powder and use the CCI 209M primer in everything. I vary my powder drops whether for Skeet or Bunker. 15.5 grains is working good for Skeet...and 17.5 grains is working good for Bunker. All of that is going into Federal Gold Medal hulls with the Federal 12SO wad. Clean burning and low recoil. Not a lot of clutter in my reloading room.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:16 am 
Field Grade

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I'm going to make the switch to 7 1/2 or 8 shot & then shoot at the pattern board at the club where I shoot & see what kind of pattern I get before changing the recipe. Also I will have to check with my reloader supplier because I have never seen Claydot powder but I'm pretty new to this. Who makes Claydot? If I lower the powder amount will that make the shot pattern better? It just seemed like #9 was just too small for 7/8 oz loads.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:47 am 
Crown Grade

In 7/8oz loads speeds under 1250fps will generally have a hotter center pattern called hot spotting.

Alliant makes both ClayDot and ExtraLite. Both are excellent powders for light loads with ExtraLite being the cleaner of the two.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:33 pm 
Field Grade

According to the book my load is shooting 1300 fps, I'm not sure what hot spotting means?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:38 pm 
Crown Grade

A hotter core in the pattern density. I.E. The middle of the pattern will be much more dense than the rest. You want a 30" pattern that is even. If it has a hot core then the middle 10 or 12" will be really dense and the rest of the pattern will be sparse.

The books are never right about velocity in my experience. Just pattern a few and see what it looks like then you'll know for sure

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:49 pm 
Field Grade

Ok, thanks again. I can really see that I need to go pattern these loads because I have been missing low house seven & thats the one I should hit being a trap shooter. LOL What yardage should I pattern at?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:53 pm 
Crown Grade

The yardage that you break targets at with whatever choke you'll be using. For skeet about 22 yards if you break them at the center stake. Further out if past the center stake. Then for 16 yard trap and handicap trap. On the trap field I don't know how fast or slow you break targets so you'll have to determine that.

Post subject: 7/8 oz Trap Load
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'm gonna experiment with 7/8 I'm gonna try 8 and 8.5 shot.

My friend uses 7.5 1200 fps with extra lite powder; I'm gonna try 700x

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:03 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

If you are going to use only one load for Skeet and Trap, then #8 is the better size. Pattern for Skeet at 21 yards and 16 yard trap at 32 yards. 32 yards is the distance MOST 16 yard trap targets are broken at. You need to use appropriate chokes for each disipline. Skeet for Skeet shooting and Mod. or Imp. Mod. for Trap.

You really don't want to go larger than #8 shot with 7/8 oz. loads. The density of your patterns will get too sparse.

Keep in mind that 7/8 oz. loads perform best at speeds above 1200 FPS. Usually 1225 to 1250 will give good performance.

DLM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:55 am 
Crown Grade

D L Marcum wrote:
You really don't want to go larger than #8 shot with 7/8 oz. loads. The density of your patterns will get too sparse.

I used to think this too, but I've have done a whole heck of a lot of experimenting, and find this not to be true.

I shoot a lot of Continental Trap, and I've done a lot of comparison between #8 and #7-1/2 in 7/8th's oz, and I do better with the #7-1/2 (IM over MOD). Breaks more far-out targets with authority, and I usually pick up a few more targets every time.

Since I also mostly shoot 7/8th's oz for trap, I find that #7-1/2 also works better for me all the way out to the 23-yard line w/ MOD.

I still load #9 in 7/8th's oz for my skeet loads, but that's simply because one of the skeet fields I shoot at has a #9 shot limitation.

I'd suggest loading up a flat of both, #8 and #7-1/2 in 7/8th's oz, and go out and do some comparison testing, - I think you will find that #7-1/2 is a pretty good choice for 7/8th's oz.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

I use 7/8th oz for everyting. I use 8s for everything out to 35 yards (even trap) and 7 1/2s beyond that.

I use Claydot and I only use 15.6 to 16 grains for everything. The shot in my loads, with my gun, does not hotspot at all even at 15.5 grains of Claydot. I do recommend that you go to at least 16.5 grains of powder when the temperature gets below freezing or you will get some bloopers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I use 3/4 oz of No. 9 for both skeet and 16-yard trap. The only variable is the choke: skeet and full. When it comes to handicap and other long-range games, I go to the maximum allowed in regard to weight and velocity. In summer I use No. 8 shot, but in winter I use No. 7.5 shot.

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:14 pm 
Crown Grade

If you want cheap, simple, AND effective:
Rem Gun Club (or STS)
Fio, or Ched or NS
18 of Promo
7/8 ounce and CB1078
or
1 ounce and CB1100
or
1 1/8 and CB1118

With #8 and the appropriate choke these will all git-er-done back to around the 25 yard line. I kind of like 1 1/8 for behind the 20 and usually go to 7 1/2 for 25+. I am not a skeet shooter but it sure seems like any of the above with 8, 8 1/2 or 9 and the appropriate choke would work. I'd load up a few boxes of several of the above, go shoot, and see what you think. The ability to do this is, at least IMHO, is one of the biggest advantages to reloading.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:10 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

For 12 ga. Skeet you simply cannot beat 1 oz. of #8-1/2's running at 1180 to 1200 FPS. Easy on the shoulder and litterly destroys Skeet targets at all distances involved, regular skeet or Doubles.

This load is also superb at 16 yard Trap, and back to 22 yards Handicap. Beyond 22 yards Handicap, 1-1/8 oz. of #7-1/2's running at 1200 to 1225 fps is the better load.

DLM