CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sporting clays vs skeet vs trap
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:23 am 
Field Grade

I'm new to the sport and have shot a little of each and enjoyed each venue. It seems that it would be best to focus primarily on one venue. As a rookie, I would appreciate from experts what to consider in terms of where to focus. i don't plan on hunting, I have access to facilities that offer all three types of shooting (as well as other types of shooting), and the costs in terms of shooting are approximately equal. I'm sure there are nuances that one will appreciate over time in each venue, but I would appreciate thoughts on things to consider going forward in terms of where to focus. I have used rental guns and would like to buy one for the right venue, but realize the right gun might be different for each one. So far, I'm leaning toward sporting clays followed by skeet followed by trap. Any insights one gets as they spend more time in each venue in terms of continuing challenges, shortcomings, comraderie, etc. would be appreciated. I suspect there are strong opinions; that is why I am posting on the Shotgun Clay Shooting General forum rather than one for a specific discipline.

Post subject: Re: Sporting clays vs skeet vs trap
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:37 am 
Diamond Grade

Focus on the one you enjoy the most,set up a gun that suits that discipline,get some instruction from one that is qualified to give it........have fun.

Maltz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Arroyojon wrote:
I'm leaning toward sporting clays...
You have answered your own question.

I'm sure there will be a few along shortly to tell you why one is better than another. None of that matters. What does matter is what you like. After all, you're the one shooting it.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:25 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you are a perfectionist, and enjoy competition, then skeet and trap might appeal more. For the pure joy of shooting at a variety of targets, and the challenge of changing situations, then Sporting Clays is your choice. Most of the registered trap shooters I know, like to shoot with the chance to win money. I think most of them are gamblers with shotguns. Decide whether you would rather break 100 straight, or break a challenging true pair, and you will know which way to go. Mark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:53 am 
Presentation Grade

What a great question! Let me start with a statement I heard once. "Skeet shooters hate to miss. Sporting clays shooters love to hit. Trap shooters love to blame their misses on anyone but themselves," My preferences are similar to yours in order of favorits. That being said my "go to gun" for all shooting sports, including helice and wobble trap, is a sporting clays over and under with 30" barrels and a raised target rib rib. My first O/U had 28" tubes and a low rib and I did very well with that at skeet, wobble trap and sporting clays. I now sometimes shoot a cheap trukish semi-auto and have surpassed my best score with the O/Us. Go figure! When a gun fits properly all I have to do is visulize a hole in the sky where the target is going to be when the shot gets there and make it happen. I think the lighter recoil of the gas semi-auto helps with recoil fatigue but my last trap shoot with the semi was a disaster. When I went back to my go-to gun, my game was back.
I can see how some people belive changing games hurts other games but for me the " If it flyes it dies." game is more appealing. So I would suggest you shoot them all and have fun. This may mean a clays gun/skeet gun, and a trap gun but that dosen't seem to be so for me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:59 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the comments. I plan to keep shooting all three for the time being and perhaps my favorite will bubble up at some point. It sounds as if most people don't focus soley on one type, although they may have a favorite that they spend majority of time on. The skeet/sporting clay gun sounds the way to go.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:08 am 
Limited Edition

I shoot skeet seriously and enjoy SC for the shear enjoyment, I can use one gun for both. The only situation would maybe a little less LOP for SC in heavy clothing ........ to be good at trap requires a specialized gun, different POI, and some fitting differences in my opinion. I play trap but have no desire to compete in the sport.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:15 pm 
Crown Grade

If you like a game where the targets NEVER change, and a perfect score is necessary to get into the shootoff - skeet is your game; trap is very close in second place - except there is a slight variance as the machines oscillate the target - both are about repetitive shooting for a perfect score. Sporting clays is different at every place in the country and most chnage their targets enough during the year as well. Sporting is about hitting as many as you can, the other two are about not missing any.

Personally, I find both trap and skeet boring and not as social - our sporting group will give someone a hard time when they miss a "gimme" target along with high praise for cleaning a difficult station - something that doesn't happen during shooting in the other two.

What's important to you?

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:09 pm 
Limited Edition

Remember to take time into consideration. You can normally shoot as many rounds of trap and skeet (25 target rounds) as you want or as time permits, where sporting clays is normally a 100 target (or more) round and thus takes more time. I equate sporting clays to a round of golf, you play all 18 or shoot all 100 targets, but earmark the time to do the whole round and enjoy it.

Good luck, it will be an epiphany some day as to what you really like.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Shoot all three. Buy three guns.
It's all fun. Don't take any of it too seriously.

NSSA Level 1 Skeet Instructor
NRA Certified RSO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oneounceload wrote:
Sporting clays is different at every place in the country and most change their targets enough during the year as well. Sporting is about hitting as many as you can, the other two are about not missing any.

Personally, I find both trap and skeet boring and not as social - our sporting group will give someone a hard time when they miss a "gimme" target along with high praise for cleaning a difficult station - something that doesn't happen during shooting in the other two.

That's more or less where I stand on this subject as well. I have WAY more fun shooting sporting clays than trap or skeet, and isn't that what hobbies are all about?

There are two sporting clays facilities that I visit every week that are both an hour away from my house, but in different directions, if that makes sense. There's a few skeet and trap fields within 20 minutes, but I rarely ever go to them. The atmosphere just isn't the same.

So, in my opinion, sporting clays is the only way to go!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:18 pm 
Crown Grade

If you wanna win the money go trap, if you like constant variety then sporting is the way to go and if you want repitition with a little more variety than trap go with skeet. Or can focus on one and shoot the rest on the side. I myself am a skeet shooter, but I can put up just as good scores with trap and have decent (nothing amazing) sporting clays scores.

Post subject: Thanks for input
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:28 pm 
Field Grade

I shot trap doubles and sporting clays last weekend. I found trap to be more fullfilling in terms of number of hits for a beginner, but found sporting clays to be more challenging. As a newcmer, there is satisfaction in hitting lots of targets, but I think sporting clays over the long term are probably my game. That being said, the guys I was shooting with told me to step up to an A400. I told them I might want to start cheap like a 870. They were all shooting $$$$ over and unders. They pointed out that the cost of the gun is a rounding error long term compared to ammos and club fees. Where we shoot, a round of skeet is $9.00 so I can see the point. So many decisions for a cheapskate like me!!

Thanks for the feedback and recommendations. They are truly appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

I first purchased a trap gun (Browning Superposed with a broadway rib choked full over IM) - the inability to change chokes made me want to shoot skeet and 5 stand. I then purchased a sporting gun (Browning Cynergy) and wound up shooting much more trap. Go figure!

I now have the sporting version of CG's Impact. I love the gun and I can shoot any clay game and do. Most of my shooting now is trap, both registered and practice. I really enjoy the game and the people I have met. I also participate in a monthly skeet league and enjoy the occational 5 stand.

#1 Dallas Cowboys fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:53 am 
Utility Grade

I shoot both trap and skeet. I like to "burn some powder"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm all in....on what Danny is saying. The CG Impact is a all around clay gun, as well as a quality O/U.

Only one warning when it comes to guns with adjustable everything, stock and rib. You must learn and gain confidence in what those adjustments do and how they effect where you place shot. Not difficult, but requires some committment to the patterning board and a good understanding of your individual needs. If your not already up to speed in both, your going to be either unhappy or lost, maybe both. Fully adjustable guns are for fully experienced shooters.

For example: My POI needs would be 90/10% - trap, 60/40% - sporting, 50-50% - skeet. At this point, shooting 15,000 trap targets a year and 500 skeet and sporting together, so the lower POI is not very important, but I do have a gun just for those few days. Well actually...... several. I'm in the "he who has the most toys" competition. :lol:

Maltz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

Arroyojon wrote:
I'm new to the sport and have shot a little of each and enjoyed each venue. It seems that it would be best to focus primarily on one venue. As a rookie, I would appreciate from experts what to consider in terms of where to focus. i don't plan on hunting, I have access to facilities that offer all three types of shooting (as well as other types of shooting), and the costs in terms of shooting are approximately equal. I'm sure there are nuances that one will appreciate over time in each venue, but I would appreciate thoughts on things to consider going forward in terms of where to focus. I have used rental guns and would like to buy one for the right venue, but realize the right gun might be different for each one. So far, I'm leaning toward sporting clays followed by skeet followed by trap. Any insights one gets as they spend more time in each venue in terms of continuing challenges, shortcomings, comraderie, etc. would be appreciated. I suspect there are strong opinions; that is why I am posting on the Shotgun Clay Shooting General forum rather than one for a specific discipline.

An A400 would be a fine starting gun. Much cheaper than that, and your ammo/clays fees will very quickly outpace your gun's cost, even for the casual shooter. This will happen eventually, but at least when it happens it's good to know you own a quality gun that will keep on performing well for years to come.

As for which discipline, shoot them all and eventually you'll pick one that you're interested in getting serious about. Sporting clays is perhaps my favorite game but it currently requires more "planning" and is more dependent on getting my friends together, finding a weekend when they aren't busy, etc. On the other hand, I never feel bad about heading to the trap field by myself and 90% of the time there will be folks I can squad up with. The other 10% of the time, I do a bit of structured practice by myself. I also find myself shooting a bit more skeet these days, if for no other reason than to improve my familiarity with crossers on the sporting clays course.

All in all, you just have to see what you enjoy and what works out best/is most convenient for the area you live in.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:25 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

>>Personally, I find both trap and skeet boring and not as social - our sporting group will give someone a hard time when they miss a "gimme" target along with high praise for cleaning a difficult station - something that doesn't happen during shooting in the other two.<<

And there you have it! :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oneounceload wrote:

You must have never shot with a bunch of rowdy skeeters then.

With Trap, the hilarity ensues between rounds. (We are to busy shooting to chat between shots. We shoot a very fast round with maybe 5 sec max between shots except when changing stations)

NSSA Level 1 Skeet Instructor
NRA Certified RSO

Post subject: Re: Thanks for input
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Arroyojon wrote:
I shot trap doubles and sporting clays last weekend. I found trap to be more fullfilling in terms of number of hits for a beginner, but found sporting clays to be more challenging. As a newcmer, there is satisfaction in hitting lots of targets, but I think sporting clays over the long term are probably my game. That being said, the guys I was shooting with told me to step up to an A400. I told them I might want to start cheap like a 870. They were all shooting $$$$ over and unders. They pointed out that the cost of the gun is a rounding error long term compared to ammos and club fees. Where we shoot, a round of skeet is $9.00 so I can see the point. So many decisions for a cheapskate like me!!

Thanks for the feedback and recommendations. They are truly appreciated.

Don't unnecessarily handicap yourself for sporting and skeet with a pump - you can get a new Beretta semi - either the 3901 or its replacement the A300 for about $650. I shoot a Browning Gti O/U I paid $1000 for over 18 years ago. When I add up what I have spent on targets and ammo over that time frame, (and I NEVER show the wife), the gun is nothing in the long run - buy the best gun you can afford - the better the quality, the better the resale down the road and hopefully, the better quality and fit will enable you to progress faster

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"