CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Broke my new pump - my fault?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:49 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello all.

I am the new owner of a 12ga pump shotgun, which has recently broken on me. I'm not mentioning the manufacturer or model, but suffice it to say it falls in the category of a well known value pump shotgun.

I'm getting back into shooting after 5+ years away, and my previous experience was with my .410 single shot and a 16ga bolt action (yes, a rarity). I purchased myself a pump. After about 400 shells, most of them target loads, I went to shoot with some friends to shake the gun down. Shooting slugs, target loads and 3.5 inch duck loads, I managed to break the pump away from the action.

I'm not sure what happened. I think either myself or one of the other guys didn't anticipate what the 3.5" shell would recoil like and my have held the pump forward during the recoil, or perhaps I have been too rough or have been carrying it wrong. I thought it best to consult the group of experts here.

I carry my gun usually with the chamber open, with my right hand on the pump, with the muzzle down. When I shoot, there is not much pressure on the pump forward. When I pump the action, I do so strongly, but I don't think excessively so - just enough to ensure that even with a hot barrel, I'm removing the shell and chambering a new one without much hesitation.

Anything here sound out of the ordinary?

Post subject: Re: Broke my new pump - my fault?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Not really......knowing nothing but what you've discribed, I'll guess poorly manufactured parts or poor/mis assemblage.......Why not name the make and model? Someone on here most likely knows the gun and might be able to help....the way you have couched it all is like asking if it's colder in the summer or the mountains.......nobody here would be suprised at the failure of a shotgun made by anybody..........Art

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What broke? Did the action bars break at the forearm, or did something break in the receiver?

Some guns use synthetic forearms with pinned action bars, and the stocks have been known break at the pins. I've also heard of welds breaking where action bars are welded to the slide tube.

Twisting the forearm can put extra load on the action bars. Pumping in a straight line shouldn't causee a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If it is a new gun, it should be covered under warranty. Call the manufacturer. Mark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:58 am 
Utility Grade

I just didn't want to turn this into a discussion of Mossberg vs Remington vs Benelli. Furthermore, I figured there is no reason to fault the manufacturer when I may have been responsible due to inexperience. All I was looking for is some guidance on how best to handle a pump shotgun.

I called the manufacturer and they have already shipped me a replacement part, so I should be set there.

Thank you for all of the responses!

Thank you all!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Read the manual, and follow the directions. There are millions of pump shotguns out there being shot by all different levels of competence, and the vast majority of them work fine. I doubt it was something that you did wrong. Mark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

AngryRotarian;
If you would like some help, please tell us
1. What is the model and manufacturer of the gun
2. What ammunition were you using; manufacturer and specifications
3. What exactly "broke"
Hope this Helps;
Chuck

CSM Certified Instructor
NSCA Level II Instructor
Deep River Sporting Clays and Shooting School