CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Savage 220 magazine
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:29 pm 
Limited Edition

I just returned home from a local range sighting in my new 220. I took 8 boxes of Remington Accu-tip 2 3/4" shells. I would load a shell into the chamber and then insert the magazine with 2 shells in it simulating a hunting situation. It started off cycling shells out and in real well but after maybe 8 or 9 cycles of 3 shells per cycle the gun would not chamber another shell into the gun. Fire the shell in the chamber, cycle the bolt (shell flies out great) but the next shell would hang up in the magazine. Looking down into the chamber with the bolt back, when I would move the bolt forward the shell wouldn't budge. The shell was so stubborn that when pushed on by the bolt the front of the shell would go down. This happened to me 3 or 4 times. When I pull out the magazine to inspect it felt like the shell was hanging up on something with the brass ring on the shell. It was all I could do just to get the shell out myself. It also felt like the plastic lip on the top holding the shell was very tight. It was odd because it was random. Most of the time it would cycle a new with ease. I think I'll talk to Savage and see if I can just get a new magazine. Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Savage 220 magazine
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:32 pm 
Limited Edition

I've got more work to do with this gun but I'm very happy with it's accuracy. Shooting off of a bag I think I've got it to where I feel comfortable taking a deer. The last few shots were in the center.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:43 pm 
Limited Edition

Not implying anything. Savage seems to be sold out of these magazines.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:56 pm 
Utility Grade

Same thing happened to me last season, I believe the issue was the brass ring on the top shell got behind the brass ring on the bottom shell, with the pressure on it from the spring there was no way it was going to feed. I had a heck of a time getting it out. I don't know of a solution other than being careful when loading the magazine to be careful not to push the top shell into the mag to hard.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:25 pm 
Limited Edition

mngundog wrote:
Same thing happened to me last season, I believe the issue was the brass ring on the top shell got behind the brass ring on the bottom shell, with the pressure on it from the spring there was no way it was going to feed. I had a heck of a time getting it out. I don't know of a solution other than being careful when loading the magazine to be careful not to push the top shell into the mag to hard.

That makes a lot of sense. It really felt like the brass lip was hanging up on something. I have another magazine coming anyway so I'll have a quick reload. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:46 pm 
Utility Grade

loadbreak wrote:
mngundog wrote:

That makes a lot of sense. It really felt like the brass lip was hanging up on something. I have another magazine coming anyway so I'll have a quick reload. :)

Now that I've had a day to think about it and deer season is two days away, I'll probably just put one in the clip to solve the issue.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:41 am 
Field Grade

You know that actually makes sense about not pushing the top round too far back on a rimmed shell underneath it. Good advice thanks! Now I just need to get one of these.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:17 am 
Tournament Grade

this happened to me this time last year, I called Savage up, they mailed me a new mag

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:42 pm 
Limited Edition

I bought a new magazine and I'm having the same issue with it also. I think I just need to pay attention and check the mag before inserting it into the mag well. It's youth season here in Ohio right now and I Ioaned it to a friends nephew. Hopefully he will take his first deer with it!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:11 pm 
Field Grade

loadbreak wrote:
I bought a new magazine and I'm having the same issue with it also. I think I just need to pay attention and check the mag before inserting it into the mag well. It's youth season here in Ohio right now and I Ioaned it to a friends nephew. Hopefully he will take his first deer with it!

I spent a lot of range time with my 220 this year and the only way I could get reasonable feed reliabilty was one in the pipe and one in the mag.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:41 pm 
Utility Grade

I haven't had this issue at all with any of my 3 mags but it's something I'll keep my eye out for for sure.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:30 pm 
Utility Grade

I have the same issue with my new 220 using the 2&3/4" slugs. Image

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a 210 converted to 20ga. I would asume that the feed system and follower are the same, even though they are located in the detachable mag. I looked at a friends 220 and they seemed similar. I had many feed issues and found i had to bend the feed z spring below the follower to allow for proper feed. It was too strong to begin with, the front of the feed (toward barrel) having way too much force. It needed to be very light, too much and it jammed. If you can take it out, bend the front intersection together to give it less strength and push less on the bullet end of the slug. That is what worked for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

Can someone give me the details on converting the 210 to the 220. Where does one get the 20 gauge barrel, bolt modifications etc. and the approximate cost of such conversion. Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

My gunsmith was making barrels and doing conversions for all differnt types of guns. He did a 20ga 26in semibull barrel with a 1:24 progressive twist that i had him port. He needed to cut the bolt face to match and bring in the extractors on the sides. He also had some small mods to the feed. The 20ga 210 shoots very well for me. Alas he is out of the buisness now and nobody i know is doing any of this work now.