CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: best way to add weight to stock?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:06 pm 
Field Grade

Looking to add a few ounces to a synthetic butstock of a new shotgun to improve the balance a bit. What is the best way to do it? I know lead tape exists for golfers, could you just stick that to the inside and call it good? Not a lot of weight needed, maybe 3-4 oz would do it..

Post subject: Re: best way to add weight to stock?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:23 pm 
Crown Grade

I've used lead sinkers and just put them in the butt stock cushioned by whatever I had handy so it didn't roll around in there. I pushed it all the way to the stock bolt.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

Ask your dentist for the lead foil from his dental x-ray film. They are little squares of pure lead foil and are perfect for adding weight.
The foil works nice because you can vary where you want the weight. For instance put a few Styrofoam packing peanuts in then, lead foil, then more peanuts.

I filled the entire stock screw hole of my model 12 with lead foil. I then made up some spent shells full of #8 shot. crimped them and epoxied them closed. I have 4 of them in the magazine, forward of the follower. I can still put one round in the mag for doubles.

The extra weight really helped soften up the recoil of my M-12. It's a real sweet shooter now. I have not weighed it but would guess it is 9.5 lbs. or so.

I always get compliments on my M-12. I broke 21 from the 25 yard line with it today at my club. I love this old gun and have placed my O/U up for sale.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You would ideally like to get the weight as far towards the butt pad as possible. put the cushioning in first and the weight behind it. I used a copper tube that just fit in the bolt hole with lead shot in it taped over on the ends. Each time I have put lead in a gun I have ended up taking it back out. Low weight seems more important that exact balance to me, I guess. I do not have a plastic stock though, and they might need some weight.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:21 am 
Crown Grade

davescarp,

Use the SGW search function and key in "Anviloy 1150". There are several posts/comments there regarding the pros and cons of adding weight to a gun. Be aware that adding weight only to the butt can change the dynamics/handling.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:07 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

If you know someone who reloads 20 ga have them fill a 20 ga hull with lead and another hull with about half lead and and enough cut up news paper to keep it from rattling and then crimp the hulls. These usually will fit in the butt stock. It might take more packing material to keep them from moving. Weigh each hull so you will know how much you have added to the stock. The earlier suggestion to get the weight closer to your hands is a good one.

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers." Aldo Leopold

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

You can use the strip type decoy weights. They can be bent to fit the contour of the inside of the stock and set in place with silicone adhesive. They won't rattle or shake when you're handling or shooting and you'll still be able to access the stock bolt without removing the weights.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:58 pm 
Crown Grade

The easy and best way.
http://www.mercuryrecoil.com/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:52 pm 
Diamond Grade

Stick-on automotive wheel weights.
A little extra weight can make a big difference in handling, for the better or the worse.
Shoot a few rounds and try it out with some masking tape prior to pulling the backing off...because once placed, they won't come off easily.
Also, lead golf tape works nicely.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

davescarp;
I get quite a few of "this was Grandpa's old gun" repairs this time of year. I find that a fair number of them have rolls of coins inserted in the butt stock. Not too sophisticated, but practical and infinitely variable.
Hope this Helps;
Chuck

CSM Certified Instructor
NSCA Level II Instructor
Deep River Sporting Clays and Shooting School