CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trade my Noveske AR-15 for a Benelli M4? Worth it?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

I think so. I'm not a fan of the AR anymore. Two big reasons; I HATE the position of the charging handle and I'd rather be shooting a shotgun. I posted my AR for sale/trade on a local forum looking for an M4 tonight. Long shot but who knows? Anyway, is a Benelli M4 worth trading away/selling a really high end AR-15?

Post subject: Re: Trade my Noveske AR-15 for a Benelli M4? Worth it?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:12 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

No. If you really don't want your AR, sell it outright. You can buy a Benelli and have plenty of money left over for ammo.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you don't like the AR send it to me! I'll pay shipping and transfer!

Seriously though. The AR and shotgun are two different tools with two different purposes. I would hesitate to get rid of it. Stick it in the safe, buy a 935 and shoot it for a while, then come back to the AR. I've been carbineless before and despite having a nice shotgun I still felt the need for one. If you don't like the charging handle maybe try out an AK or some other semi auto carbine, but in this day and age I'd still prefer to have something with a bit more range than the shotgun. My 2¢

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.----Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
NO! Misery1014 doesn't have the same charisma as Misery556. :)

Seriously, though, you run nice firearms, and I didn't realize that you own a Noveske. Which one, sir? I noticed that some on GunBroker (but not many) are priced less than I thought, about the cost of a new M4. Nevertheless, I think that you bought it out of respect for the Noveske reputation. Any of us would proudly own one if money was not so hard to spare. I just don't see any comparision in SD value, however, with any shotgun, if there should come a time of outright anarchy and lawlessness, and attacks could come from beyond shotgun ranges. Rifle>shotgun>pistol.

I do think that you could trade for a Spike's and several hundreds of dollars, and still have as good an AR-15.

Last edited by wfb18 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:28 am 
Limited Edition

Whats your rifle worth right now? If you are happy with the trade then go for it.

I have 4 ARs right now and would trade 2 for a M4 in a heart beat and Id even loose a little money. My ARs are home built so might be hard to get a fair price/trade for them

BUT... I love my 590a1 (I get the warm fuzzies) and sometimes switch over all my gear to carry skd esstac cards instead of AR mags. Plate carrier, belt, etc. But then I think about how much easier it is to carry 556. In the same area and for the same weight I can carry 4 times the ammo I usually switch back.

If you are only concerned about home defense then I think you'd be content with the m4. If you are like me and believe in the responsibilty of the American Citizen to be ready as part of the unorganized militia then I think you might want to keep a rifle about.

If you dont like the charging handle on the AR I'd say get over yourself. After over 10 years of urban and mountain warfighting the worlds most elite warriors use weapons with the charging handle there. Train, train, train and you wont even think about control placement. I spent a lot of time on my mini 14, then AK (I was a SAWgunner and carried the 1014 when in so never really shot m16s that much) and got extremly comfortable with them. When I got rid of the AK and got into ARs everything felt backwards but after a year of training i'll pick up my mini 14 and IT feels backwards now.

So... Id say get the M4 shoot the snot out of it cause its an awsome weapon system but then save and buy a less expesive AR. Ive got a carbine i might sell later that after 6 thousand rounds Ive never had a malf with it that I'll probably sell for 500 if im lucky.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
ryanUSMC wrote:
...I was a SAWgunner and carried the 1014 when in, so never really shot m16s that much...

That explains things. I have wondered for a long time, having read about your actual combat experiences with shotguns that are not breachers.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:26 am 
Presentation Grade

I've wanted an M4 for a long time. Probably six years. I have a Mossberg 930 SPX and when I brought it home, I just looked at it for a day. I didn't do any drills or anything, just admired it. Now I have a taste for semi auto shotguns and I want more! I'm not one of those people who has some illusion of being a hero in urban combat and saving the city from certain doom. I shoot for fun and keep a few of them loaded in case I need to send an intruder to hell. If you've seen any of my shooting videos, you can see that I'm not built for combat.

The rifle is a Noveske N4. I have a local guy who will buy it outright so that's probably what I'm going to do.

Misery556 isn't really going to be appropriate anymore if I sell that rifle I guess ...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

So ... Just in case anyone was wondering, I found an M4 at a gun shop, held it and didn't like it for quite a few reasons. First, it's heavy. When empty, it's heavier than my 870 loaded with 7 rounds in the magazine, 6 on the Mesa Sureshell and a TLR-1 up front. I hate the charging handle and it would need upgraded. I didn't like that the bolt only locks back on empty when the safety is on and that the safety is a huge ordeal to get to for a lefty. I don't like that on top of an $1800 price tag I would need to pay even more to get a full 7 round magazine. I know, import laws, 5 rounds but still ... $530 for a collapsible stock!? $900 for a replacement barrel!? $225 for a full length magazine tube!? I used to read posts about other people's M4s and envy them. Yesterday I read one about a guy buying an M4 instead of something else and thought 'why?'. That's almost three Mossberg 930s, almost four Remington 870s.

My buyer had to cancel the deal for my AR down after talking to his wife. Too much money apparently. I'll just keep it. Maybe buy a .22 upper to offset the inflated cost of 5.56.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Misery556 wrote:
My buyer had to cancel the deal for my AR down after talking to his wife.

I certainly hope you reminded him to wear the pants in his family and that he's not married to his mommy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:37 pm 
Limited Edition

Understandable

I'll probably never own a M4 but may get a 930. Entirely because of the price tag. I think one of my ARs has more money into what would be a complete m4 but it was built over a year and was easier to handle.

Just a question. Does it ACTUALLY weigh more? Or is does the mile long fixed stock just make it feel heavier then your HD 870? Shorter guns feel lighter.

you can still find deals on 556 right now, hurry up because once the vendors are out of stock the next shipment will be much more

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:45 pm 
Crown Grade

Benelli M4 7.8lb per Benelli
870 Express Tactical 7.5lb per Remington

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

drsfmd wrote:
Misery556 wrote:
My buyer had to cancel the deal for my AR down after talking to his wife.

I certainly hope you reminded him to wear the pants in his family and that he's not married to his mommy.

I was kind of frustrated that he called the deal off at the last minute because he 'didn't have it in his budget'. So if you didn't have the money ... WHY DID YOU EVEN EMAIL ME THEN!? Thanks for wasting my time.

I still have the full length LOP stock on the 870. 14" feels fine to me. 13" is usually as short as I can go on any weapon without hating it. I don't mind a bit of a reach on my left side (I shoot lefty) but my support hand is what makes or breaks how much I like the gun. The 870 feels good even with a full 14" LOP but when I had a 590, it still felt kind of long even after I chopped an inch off the stock. That's a big reason why I like my 930 so much. I can put my support hand on the handguard at the base of magazine tube if I want. You should totally buy a 930. In fact, get three of them for the price of a Benelli M4. The 930 is made in the USA so you don't have to deal with any of those BS import or 922r laws. It comes 7+1, great sights, eats ANTYHING! You can't say any of those things about Remington's tactical autos. Love their 870 though.

Those weights can't be right. I held two guns while I was there; a 500 with an IFL (because I wanted to make sure it was awful as I remembered it) and the M4. The M4 was significantly heavier than the 500, definitely FELT heavier than my 870. Maybe it was just that the M4 has a different balance than the 870, I don't know. Bottom line I didn't like it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

I personally would never dream of trading a noveske AR for a Benelli M4 - but I am neither a Benelli or a tactical shotgun kinda guy, so I may be biased.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:17 pm 
Field Grade

Banshee wrote:
Benelli M4 7.8lb per Benelli
870 Express Tactical 7.5lb per Remington

Yeah but I own both and while they might weigh almost the same where the weight is makes all the diffrence. Most of the weight of an M4 is forward of the reciever because that ARGO system is under the forend. While it might seem like a disadvantage the reason the weight is there is to make it easier to rapid fire. I think the M4 is a great shotgun but it is way overpriced. But if I am Benelli I am keeping the price high cause people keep buying them. I can't believe that the price keeps going up on them. I paid $1435 for one at Turners in 2007 five years later they are selling for $1850. I wish my investment portfolio was doing as good as my shotgun.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'm left eye dominant so anything that has a stock, I have to shoot left handed. There are a lot of guns I'm not going to like for that reason but I've got a real love-hate (mostly hate) relationship with this rifle design in particular. It's like a really high maintainence girlfriend that you only keep around because you've got so much time and money invested in the relationship and don't feel like getting back out into the dating world and starting over. That's all it is. I looked at an LAR Grizzly side charging upper as a potential solution to one of the things I hate about it (position of the charging handle) but I don't want to spend that kind of money so that I'll MAYBE like the gun. If I loved it as is and just wanted to make an upgrade maybe but that's not the situation at all.

I love tactical shotguns but unless the M4 has a gateway to another dimension or a vagina inside the stock that Benelli isn't telling us about, I can't explain the $1800 price. Maybe it gives you a 'full release' massage when you shoot it instead of hitting you like normal shotguns? I don't know. I've got nothing ...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:55 pm 
Field Grade

I purchased mine for one reason. I use them in the Marine Corps and I like to have them to practice with. They are like a Ferrari,Lamborgini, or Ducati. If it is Italian and ends in the letter I it is going to have pretty good performance and that eye candy factor. When you pull one out at the range everybody sneaks peaks at it or stops to ask about it but in the end unless your a formula one driver your not really going to need all the horsepower those cars have and a Honda Accord will get you to the liquor store just as good. Unless your on a SWAT team or Military unit it is hard to justify $1800 dollars for a shotgun when the bad guy is just as dead when you shoot him with a $350 one.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:03 am 
Limited Edition

I like shotguns. I like having them around for HD and I always felt a little uneasy if one was not in the patrol car. On the otherhand the AR was my companion since the Army in the mid 70's and I almost always had one around for fun and duty ever since. The AR would be my goto shooting iron for most purposes these days for many reasons.

I had a Benelli, the HK M1 Super 90.

No it is not the smoother operating M4 gas action but it sure cured me of wanting to maintain such an expensive system and accessories.

I tried the Remington 1100 tactical for my auto gun and thought it would be just the ticket for fast 3Gun fun:

I was not so happy with it either. The administrative handling and need for high brass just turned me back to pump guns.

The 870 now is my only home defense shotgun and 3Gun match equipment. The AR is my primary SHTF tool.

No you should not trade away an AR 15 for a Benelli.

I do think however that maybe a good Mini-14 or AK might better fit your carbine needs and maybe a trade for one of those Better Arsenal AK's might be an option.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:38 am 
Limited Edition

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/d ... ct_id=3172

its out of stock but this might be a cheaper option then another system.

a mini 14 or ak might work too. Im looking for another AK after selling my only one a couple years back.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:43 am 
Field Grade

I recommend an ambi CH, mag release and selector. There are several offerings available. I can't speak to how well they work, except for the selector, but they may be an option for you.

If the N4 is your only high-cap rifle, I wouldn't think about getting rid of it. If the carbine is running well, you'll only need to charge it once. The ambi CH should help for clearing any stoppages (T-R-B).

I own a JP, a Colt, a Spike's, and an Armalite. Each one is setup differently but they all fill a role that a shotgun or pistol just can't duplicate. I absolutely love them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:45 am 
Tournament Grade

I own several Noveske's (one a factory SBR) and an M1014. They are different tools. You "need" both.