CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reclaimed Lead Shot
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:50 pm 
Utility Grade

Well, I bought some reclaimed lead shot for reloading. It was sight unseen, so I was relieved once it arrived to inspect it and see that it is in fact all lead, pretty much all one size, no stones or other detritus, and not really misshapen. I will say I am pleased, as is my wallet. However, the shot is generally dirty, that is, with earthen dirt on the pellets, as though it were muddied and not washed. My question is whether it would be prudent for me to wash and dry the lead before reloading it. Should I? Could I ruin my guns or even my reloader if I do not wash it first?

What are your thoughts, please?

Post subject: Re: Reclaimed Lead Shot
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Personally I'd wash, dry, then tumble it in graphite first so it doesn't dirty and possibly gum up my press. The limited amount of reclaimed I've bought has been cleaned and polished.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

808state wrote:
Personally I'd wash, dry, then tumble it in graphite first so it doesn't dirty and possibly gum up my press. The limited amount of reclaimed I've bought has been cleaned and polished.

Good advice. I wouldn't want a bunch of grit going down my nice polished barrell

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Surprised it didn't come washed ans graphited - I have been buying and using reclaimed for over 20 years and it has always been screened, washed, and graphited before being sold

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

+1 for oneounceload too!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:44 pm 
Limited Edition

Boys, these days reclaimed needs to be screened, washed, tumbled, graphited, AND MAGNETED before you shoot it. A lot more steel shot is getting into the reclaimed bulk shot today. You'll streak your barrels......

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

I bought 250 lbs of reclaimed a while back and have loaded about 180 lbs of it. Shot a good deal of it and have been pleased. All appears to be cleaned and graphited. Then a few days ago a friend warned me of steel mixed in the lead. I have about 20 lbs in an open bag so I did my best to run a magnet over all of it. I found 113 steel pellets. That seems miniscule to me. Is there a reason to be concerned with that percentage of steel?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:37 pm 

Alvan wrote:
I bought 250 lbs of reclaimed a while back and have loaded about 180 lbs of it. Shot a good deal of it and have been pleased. All appears to be cleaned and graphited. Then a few days ago a friend warned me of steel mixed in the lead. I have about 20 lbs in an open bag so I did my best to run a magnet over all of it. I found 113 steel pellets. That seems miniscule to me. Is there a reason to be concerned with that percentage of steel?

Is there such a thing as only a little bit pregnant? It is about the same thing with steel shot mixed in with your lead. Any is too much!

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:26 am 
Diamond Grade

Curly: Even with a chrome lined barrel?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:52 am 

Shootshellz wrote:
Curly: Even with a chrome lined barrel?

Chrome is nothing but a thin coating that keeps the base metal from rusting. Rub a steel ball against it at 10KPSI and you have a chrome covered groove that will soon lose its chrome. Then all the chrome will start falling off just like it does on a cheap wrench from Sears, India or China.
Most of the time the chrome is limited to the chamber anyway which is protected from the steel by the hull.

Do what you think is best, I know my course of action.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Doesn't the shot stay in the shot cup until it leaves the barrel?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Guys,

I think what some very experienced folks are saying here is that it is best to get the steel out of the lead if possible but it is your choice.

Alvan wrote:
I have about 20 lbs in an open bag so I did my best to run a magnet over all of it. I found 113 steel pellets. That seems miniscule to me. Is there a reason to be concerned with that percentage of steel?

Yes, 113 pellets out of the 1000's in a 25 lb bag is a small number, but it only takes one or two to damage a barrel. Given these numbers I do not know the chances of a pellet damaging a barrel, but it is up to you if you want to take those chances or not. Also, do you know that is representative of all of the shot you had purchased. If the lead came from different clubs (no way to know for sure), there may be different concentrations of steel in different bags.

Major146 wrote:
Doesn't the shot stay in the shot cup until it leaves the barrel?

I do not know for sure, but I do know that wads for steel shot are designed very differently than those for lead. The wads are usually of a tougher plastic to prevent shot poking through the plastic during ignition and setback, and also they are usually not slit. So I would think that some steel shot could poke through the wad.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:40 am 

Slits in shot cups are a perfect place for shot to poke and rub a barrel, lead= no problem, Steel= problem.
Use steel quality wads for your reclaim and avoid that problem, but pay the extra cost for the wad, where is the savings then?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:54 am 
Diamond Grade

We make our own shot. You really need to look at what your melting down. Alot of tire shops mix in steel wheel weights with the lead ones. I am sure alot of this homemade stuff gets mined these days and you will get a mix of lead and steel. I have also seen different grades of reclaim on the market. Some of it is really dirty and some really clean.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Our reclaimed has always come from our own club; it has never been an issue

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:42 pm 

lt0026 wrote:
We make our own shot. You really need to look at what your melting down. Alot of tire shops mix in steel wheel weights with the lead ones. I am sure alot of this homemade stuff gets mined these days and you will get a mix of lead and steel. I have also seen different grades of reclaim on the market. Some of it is really dirty and some really clean.

Well if you are melting the steel weights into your mix, I would say that you might have the heat a bit high.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:31 pm 
Field Grade

I've been shooting reclaimed for the last few months, a half dozen bags or so and I'm happy with it. I bought a magnet with a hook at Lowes for a couple bucks that's made to hang stuff on a metal surface, it's about 1.5 inches across is surprisingly strong. I pour a few pounds of shot in a plastic basin, run the magnet through it and after a few passes all the steel is removed. A few of these and the bag is empty and the shot is in a bottle ready for the loader. Works for me.
Jim

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:12 am 
Diamond Grade

I bought a bag of reclaimed just to melt it and then put it in my shotmaker to see how round of shot I got. Factory made shot has more arsenic in it than clip-on wheel weights to give the lead surface tension so it will ball up into a sphere better. I would not shoot most reclaimed I have seen in a gun that I cared about, but I know a lot of guys that do.