CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 12ga.1 1/8 oz Pheasant load in STS hull,what velocity?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:30 pm 
Utility Grade

I want to reload a 1 1/8 oz lead shot size number 5 or number 4 in the Remington STS hull for my wifes gun for wild Pheasants here in South Dakota.I like the English concept of square loads hence the 1 1/8 in the 12 ga.I haven't bought the wads primers or powder yet so I'm not trying to use whats on hand.What velocity and or load reccomendation would you be willing to share.My wife is small framed,hasn't shot a lot yet(we just got married in May).Thanks Bill
P.S.Would more of you guys come out to South Dakota and kill more of these pheasants.I'm tired of dodging them on the roads.

Post subject: Re: 12ga.1 1/8 oz Pheasant load in STS hull,what velocity?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've shot a 1 1/8 oz load out of a European SXS for years. I simply use a 3 dram (1200 fps) target load data. It kills them when you hit them. Despite the current trend towards high velocity loads, 1200 fps has been more than adequate to kill pheasants for a century. If you want you can go down to the 2 3/4 dram (1150 fps) recipes and never see the difference. Both Alliant and the Hodgdon reloading sites have plenty of recipes to choose from.

PS was up there two weeks ago. I removed some of those varmints from the local gene pool.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

We need more information. What flavor of gun is your wife using? Semi-auto? Fixed breech?

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:03 pm 
Utility Grade

Winchester SX3,Beretta 3901or Beretta A300 12ga. is the plan.
Sneem just ran out 2 miles from the house to check a coyote trap.We saw 31 roosters flush from some tall weeds on the section line road.You obviously need to come shoot somemore.Bill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Since your initial question dealt with a load for your wife to shoot, I assume recoil might be a consideration. Here's some info to think about.
1 oz of shot: 1160 fps=15.5 foot pounds of recoil, 1200 fps= 16.8 foot pounds of recoil, 1220 fps=17.9 foot pounds of recoil.
1 1/8 oz of shot: 1170 fps=19.0 fps of recoil, 1200 fps=20.4 foot pounds of recoil, 1220 fps=22.9 food pounds of recoil.
1 oz of #6 shot has 223 pellets.
1 1/8 oz of #5 shot has 194 pellets.
#6 shot will kill any pheasant within reasonable range. A 1 oz load of #6's at 1160 fps wil do the job and give significantly less recoil than even the slowest 1 1/8 oz load and have higher pellet count than the 1 1/8 oz load of #5's.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:27 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

badlandsbilly wrote:
I want to reload a 1 1/8 oz lead shot size number 5 or number 4 in the Remington STS hull for my wifes gun for wild Pheasants here in South Dakota.

The 1-1/8 oz. loads I use for pheasants is the same as the shell I use for everything else: a standard Green Dot load: STS hull, STS primers, WAA12 wad. Right now it is hunted with only in a Browning Twentyweight Double Auto.

Shotshell
12 Gauge

2 3/4-in. Remington Plastic Shells (STS, Nitro 27, Premier RXP and Gun Club)
1 1/8 shot wt.
Rem 209P primer
WAA12, DRA12 or DR XL1 1/8 wad

21.1 gr. Green Dot / approx. 1250 fps

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipePrint.aspx?shotype=&weight=1.125&weightdis=1+1%2f8&shellid=492&gtypeid=3&gauge=12&lid=296

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:13 am 
Crown Grade

the english concept of square load is very immaterial now, with the modern smokeless and "ooooodles" of data available make selecting a shell really easy.

find your favourite -hull -wad -powder combo. chuck in some 4s and shoot.
i prefer slower larger shot loads 1000fps and #4s, no recoil on a peg day, and still has more than enough energy per piece of shot at 50yards + to ruin a phesents day.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:48 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a 20 ga Mossberg Semiautomatic shotgun stashed in hiding from her(Christmas present).Lately she has voiced interest in duck and goose hunting with me.I thought that getting her a twelve gauge would be better so she can shoot my 7/8 fast steel reloads.I think the 20 ga in 3" steel loads is a little light for killing geese.
I wanted to find a 1 1/8 oz pheasant load that had fairly low recoil that would kill pheasants.By substituting #8 shoot in the load she could use the load to practice on clay birds.My son in law shoots the heaviest 12 ga. 3" magnum he can find in an attempt to make up for poor shooting.He has tried to get her to "try" his gun and load.I want to avoid a bad recoil experience for her.
I worked as a travelling R.N. up until fairly recently.During one of the Hurricanes that went up the east coast I lost all my reloading equipment.The roof got ripped off the storage building and what didn't get blown out into the ocean got ruined by the ground surge of salt water.I moved here to SD to retire and I'm starting all over with reloading.I appreciate all the recommendations and suggestions as my manuals&reload notes are all gone.Thank you.Bill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Velocity won't make a lot of difference. Your pattern & if you are recoil sensitive, recoil will. I usually use 1145 fps loads for everything until I get to 1.25 oz. then go to about 1200 fps. (lead shot). Sneem is right. #6's are plenty for pheasant at reasonable ranges. I like 1.25 oz. #5's at longer ranges (second barrel). Don Zuts favored #5's. I think Don forgot more about hunting loads than most of his critics will ever know. I say that even though I don't agree with all he said. You have to apply it to the conditions under which it was developed to understand the square load concept. Cookoff013 is exactly right. It loses most of it's validity with hard shot but it is perfectly valid with the soft lead shot with which it was developed. No one concept or principle is likely to control 100% of the results you get with any shotgun or load. The square load was just a rule of thumb that originated with the BP muzzle loader. When the shot column got longer, more setback force was exerted on the lower layers of shot, more pellets were deformed & the load lost efficiency. Modern loads compensate for this with such things as hard shot, buffer & shot protectors. Even at that, with the possible exception of steel, just about all of the most efficient & popular loads have shot columns that are not too far from the ones you get with a square load (width of col. approx. equal to height) . Why do you suppose this is the case? Part of it is no doubt economic as non-tox is expensive but I suspect there are other reasons as well. Other theories have been hatched but they seem to be complicated so I generally go with the " what you see is what you get " concept. There is nothing wrong with #4 shot as long as pattern density is adequate. Bigger shot does have more energy. I have seen some pretty extraordinarily tight patterns with the 3.5" 10 ga. & loads approaching 3 oz. of lead but velocity (and the shooter) tends to suffer. The early 1 7/8 oz. lead loads for the 3" 12 ga. I saw patterned produced terrible patterns. My 2 3/4" LC Smith would out shoot them w/ 1.25 oz. lead all day long. I have also seen 2 oz. 10 ga. loads that patterened so bad, a good 20 ga. could kill farther.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:02 pm 
Crown Grade

I load my 12-ga 1-1/8 oz pheasant load to about 1250 fps with Unique. I have Unique around in bulk for all my 20-ga loads and various pistol reloading, so it works really well for the rare heavy 12-ga hunting load. I like #5 shot for pheasants, drops 'em like a stone.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:52 pm 
Crown Grade

I load 1 1/4oz of 5's at 1200fps. That said, 1200fps is plenty speed for any 1 1/8oz lead load

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:26 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks.Bill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:07 am 
Presentation Grade

What part of south Dakota? got family by Sisseton and they are not seeing many.
Mncowboy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:50 pm 
Utility Grade

mncowboy.From Aberdeen west to the river.My wife and I hunted a real weedy section line road on the way home from a Dr. appt today.Easy limits,walked almost 2 blocks then back to the truck.Bill