CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 3200 Skeet
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:46 pm 
Field Grade

Just recently purchased 3200 Competition in excellent shape and one of the latter ones produced so "factory" mods had been done but just today sent it off to Laib's for a check out and any further mods that may be done. Delima I have is today located another 3200 Skeet of low serial number vintage and most likely would need the mods from Laib's as well. I can buy the Skeet for under a 1000.00 and figure the mods by Laib's could go between $600-800. There is a lot of skeet guns out there you can buy for say 1800.00, but the thought of having two very sound 3200's appeals to me. Question I have is the 3200 Skeet considered a good skeet gun based on past experience or just pass on it and buy a more modern dependable skeet gun?? All feedback appreciated

Post subject: Re: Remington 3200 Skeet
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well, first of all, what is the barrel length? If 26" like most of the 3200 skeet guns, it would not be worth investing $1,800 in.

The 3200 is an OK skeet gun, but not great and is not in great demand. You can buy a Citori XS Skeet or Beretta 682 Gold E for about the same money and either one is a better skeet gun than the 3200. They also have a better resale value if you want to move up later.

Unless it is a 28" barrel "Competition" skeet model with very nice wood, I wouldn't even give it a second look. I recently saw a 3200 Competition skeet with 28" barrel for sale for $800 and it did not sell because it needed the upgrades.

Romans 8:1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:37 pm 
Field Grade

Oldskeeter,
OK, thanks for the candid response and as you mentioned I can buy either one of the shotguns you mentioned for very nearly the same money. Again, thanks for the valued advise.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:03 am 
Limited Edition

I had my 2 3200s up to Laib's for the modifications this summer & am very happy with them. I've put an awful lot of rounds thru them since '78 (for one) & '85 (the other), and shot a lot of good scores when I had access to practice. They have pretty much neutral stocks, important to a LH shooter.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:33 am 
Tournament Grade

I too like the 3200's and respectfully disagree with ole skeeter about their value and it's ability to shoot skeet.

The 3200 is a older design and does not comply with the current trends of the skeet market; i.e.; 32" barrels, 4-way adjustable comb, adjustable butt plate, raised rib, etc,,,. Trends Change.. Learn to shoot the gun and ignore the BS. I love to shoot with mine and I love that it's American made, it's has great triggers and smokes the birds when I do my part...

The 3200's are great value for their money will continue to increase in value and eventually command a fair price, not as high as the ole US made Winchester SXSs, but they will still be worth more than those ole foreign made shotguns.

Wouldn't it be interesting that anyone posting a opinion also state what they shoot and if they have an affiliation to the business. I have a couple of friends that shoot the other B guns and both get significant breaks to shoot them as their stores push Berettas,, most companies do the same..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:47 am 
Crown Grade

The OP has not told us the barrel length of the two guns. I have done my best skeet shooting with a pair of 3200s. The Olympic Gold Medal in skeet was won with an out of the box 3200 in 1984.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

To be clear, n2deep, I never said anything about anyone's ability to shoot skeet with a 3200; my remarks were directed to the value in today's market. I have shot the 3200 and it worked well, but there is little demand in today's market for a 3200 with a 26" barrel; especially one without the mods.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:20 pm 
Crown Grade

lowgun wrote:
The Olympic Gold Medal in skeet was won with an out of the box 3200 in 1984.

I never knew that. In fact, when I met Dan Carlisle at the Olympic shooting grounds in LA in 1987, he allowed me to shoot his Perazzi, which I was led to believe by others was the gun he shot the Olympics with. Silly me!!

Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

John Henry wrote:
lowgun wrote:
The Olympic Gold Medal in skeet was won with an out of the box 3200 in 1984.

I never knew that. In fact, when I met Dan Carlisle at the Olympic shooting grounds in LA in 1987, he allowed me to shoot his Perazzi, which I was led to believe by others was the gun he shot the Olympics with. Silly me!!

Thanks for the info.

Maybe, that's because Matt Dryke won the skeet gold medal in 1984!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

OldSkeeter wrote:
To be clear, n2deep, I never said anything about anyone's ability to shoot skeet with a 3200; my remarks were directed to the value in today's market. I have shot the 3200 and it worked well, but there is little demand in today's market for a 3200 with a 26" barrel; especially one without the mods.

Skeeter,, Fair Enough,, your point about buying a 3200 without the mods is spot on. However,, I believe that the 3200 is immensely undervalued/rated and ofter maligned by the key-boad rangers.

The 3200 is a great gun,, not a Kolar Skeet Max but for the money a solid choice.

Regards and Shoot Well

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

n2deep wrote:
I believe that the 3200 is immensely undervalued/rated and ofter maligned by the key-boad rangers.

You're probably trolling for me, so I'll bite... the newest of these is 30 years old, there are virtually no parts available, and they are more prone to breakage than similar quality guns from other makers. It also required about $1200 worth of modifications if they haven't already been done just to assure that the known defects don't crop up.

I bought mine for nostalgia's sake, but I'd never try to shoot seriously with it. I'm not aware of any serious competitive shooter still using one.

n2deep wrote:
The 3200 is a older design and does not comply with the current trends of the skeet market; i.e.; 32" barrels, 4-way adjustable comb, adjustable butt plate, raised rib, etc,,,. Trends Change..

Top shooters will use whatever gets them the best scores. If that was a 26inch barrel, etc., trust me, that's what they would be using.

n2deep wrote:
it's has great triggers

Compared to what? It's an ok trigger, but FAR from a great trigger.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

drsfmd wrote:
n2deep wrote:
I believe that the 3200 is immensely undervalued/rated and ofter maligned by the key-boad rangers.

You're probably trolling for me, so I'll bite... the newest of these is 30 years old, there are virtually no parts available, and they are more prone to breakage than similar quality guns from other makers. It also required about $1200 worth of modifications if they haven't already been done just to assure that the known defects don't crop up.

I bought mine for nostalgia's sake, but I'd never try to shoot seriously with it. I'm not aware of any serious competitive shooter still using one.

n2deep wrote:
The 3200 is a older design and does not comply with the current trends of the skeet market; i.e.; 32" barrels, 4-way adjustable comb, adjustable butt plate, raised rib, etc,,,. Trends Change..

Top shooters will use whatever gets them the best scores. If that was a 26inch barrel, etc., trust me, that's what they would be using.

n2deep wrote:
it's has great triggers

Compared to what? It's an ok trigger, but FAR from a great trigger.

Not a troll at all,, just my humble opinion..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:18 am 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
its a fabulous gun.
has the fastest lock time from the factory in the industry.
my 1st 3200 comp logged 1,000,000 rounds and it was still shooting when i retired it.
ive owned numerous 3200's. all of which are spot on and great skeet guns. it won me gold numerous times at the world shoot.
i currently shoot a 4 bbl set and its a joy to own.

trends and fads pass with time. solid guns remain solid guns.
for the price you pay for a 3200, you can... as you mentioned, have 2, or even 3 3200's for the price of a current 'fad.'
congrats on joining the 3200 crowd....and for breaking out of the mold. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:10 am 
Crown Grade

In a 3200 with the modifications, the only part that I am aware of that may break is a plunger assembly. I'm sure that Mr. Laib has figured out how to rebuild plungers. One of my NSSA skeet buddies used to rebuild them, but he no longer does. Does anyone know how much Laib charges for a plunger assembly? In all my years of shooting the 3200 in competition, I broke one plunger assembly. There is still one 3200 in my home, my wife's nearly new 25 1/2" Field Grade. Her late husband was deadly with that gun. He owned a 30" Field Grade and traded it to me for the short gun. If she ever sold that gun, I would probably replace it with a 30" Field Grade, the best 3200 for modern shooters, but hard to find.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:53 am 
Field Grade

Interesting reading, but pardon my ignorance, but just what is the plunger mentioned?? Seller of the 3200 Skeet is "anxious" to sell and still negotiating price. I assume that Laib's could repair the item if required?? All feedback appreciated

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:21 am 
Crown Grade

The plunger assembly powers the hammers. When they break, you can't fix them. You have to replace them. Call Laib's and ask them about the plungers. You may shoot the gun for a lifetime and not break one. When the 3200 was used in competition, everyone had a pair of plungers, just in case. Have you told us how long your barrels are?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:37 am 
Field Grade

Lowgun,
OK, understand now. The Skeet gun I am looking at is I believe 26" based on just looking at it and both barrels are stamped Skeet. From what I read these days a longer set of barrels is preferred, 28-30", but not being a dedicated Skeet shooter, more into Trap, probably would not help or hurt me in shooting skeet. At my local club for every Trap shooter there are a dozen or more Skeet shooters and just wanting a shotgun to shoot Skeet from time to time. I do like the idea of having two 3200's and just hate to invest the sum of money in the gun to make it dependable on a day to day basis. Going to the store this AM to take another look at it. Thanks for the feedback

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:20 am 
Presentation Grade

The hammer plunger assembly consists of a very heavy spring
that has a small shaft through it that works as a spring guide
and keeps the spring straight and in place. The guide presses
against the hammer at the front, and is seated in a hole at
the rear, so that when the hammer is forced back the guide
seats in the hole at the rear. Actually this is pretty much how
my Beretta work also. The difference is that the spring in the
3200 is VERY heavy. This is where it gets it's fast lock time.
This heavy spring stresses that guide (hammer plunger) and
over time the stress breaks the guide.

The spring is so heavy it would be hard to put on the guide/plunger
by hand, so Remington put them together at the factory, and
sold it as an assembly (hammer plunger assembly).

As stated, this was the most common breakage in a 3200. It
was common enough that once upon a time, Remington ran
low on the parts and would not sell them individually and if you
broke one you had to send the gun to Remington to have it fixed,
that was their way of rationing the remaining plunger assemblies.
It was actually very easy to replace, not requiring an expert.

If you break one, you can replace it within about 15 minutes
if you have the complete assembly, so it was really a pain in
the a$$ to have to send you gun in to Remington.

All this changed when Laib took over the maintenance of the
gun. They had more hammer plunger assemblies made, and
will sell them to anyone.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:37 pm 
Crown Grade

A 26" 3200, (actually 25 1/2") is a hard gun to sell and worth much less than a 28" gun when it does sell.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:33 pm 
Field Grade

JoeCool,
Thanks for the infomative answer regarding plungers, etc.

Lowgun,
Have been hearing just what you said about the barrel lengths and did go back and look at gun closely and upon closer inspection stocks are dinged up quite a bit on the bottom edge and have decided against it.

Another question regarding Skeet guns, local quality dealer here has dealership for Franchi's and they have a new model out and even though I know the brand has been around for a long time they just never seemed to be very popular. I am speaking of an O/U and going to look at one this eve and just curious if anyone out there has any first hand experience with them. They do have a 7 year warranty and most likely I won't even be around that long!! All feedback appreciated.