CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tactical stock or Standard...Opinions Please
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:52 pm 
Utility Grade

One thing to consider with a tactical on a Mossberg is the safety position. You have to take your hand off the pistol grip to work the safety. However, I still prefer the natural hand position of the pistol grip and short retractable stock (ATI Talon) and probably would not go back to a standard stock for close quarter HD purposes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:28 pm 
Field Grade

Hi Mrninninnin... and welcome to the forums. I'm not sure what you mean by tactical stock, and you don't mention what shotgun... so I'm shooting in the dark here. I'm going to assume, PG vs. straight stock... OK with you?

PG vs. straight. That can be a tough one sometimes. Do you wanna' be all Tackti-cool, or is straight your friend?
For a HD gun, I prefer a short LOP... like 12.5" to 13.5". I also prefer a straight stock because of the more natural feel that I grew up using, and it's less cumbersome to shoot from the hip if need be. Sometimes however, I get wrist pain with a straight stock, so a full time PG may be in my future... I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

My dilemma is that I prefer a Benelli M2 Tactical shotgun... and bought a few PG models (long story there). They have a 14.4" LOP and a hollow, not so easy to shorten stock... so no short LOP love form me.
Luckily, Mesa Tactical came out with the "Urbino" 12.5 LOP PG stock, with a nice Limbsaver recoil pad not long after I got the M2Ts... wonderful! But what did I eventually do? I found a Benelli straight stock off a M2 Field and installed it. So I have a longer LOP again, but I have my beloved straight stock. I understand that Mesa Tactical has a short LOP straight stock in the works... so now it's just a matter of hurry up and wait, and I'll be in complete heaven. 8)

Now... if you're asking about something else, for next time... maybe you might want to get more specific when you ask questions.

Cheers,
C

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

Trojans1993 wrote:
One thing to consider with a tactical on a Mossberg is the safety position. You have to take your hand off the pistol grip to work the safety. However, I still prefer the natural hand position of the pistol grip and short retractable stock (ATI Talon) and probably would not go back to a standard stock for close quarter HD purposes.

Properly executed, it is more of a "thumb roll" over the top of a PG-stocked Mossberg than it a complete removal of the hand. And, properly executed, it is very fast. So fast as to be a non-issue IMO.

I agree with you that PG advantages outweigh what is from my perspective a very slight compromise in access to a Mossberg safety.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

What exactly is a tactical stock?

Seriously, what are they and why do you think you might need one? Is the stock necessary for tactical movement, you can't defend yourself or family without it or is because you have money in your wallet and feel like you need to put something on your shotgun otherwise it's just a shotgun?

I'm going to take a wild assed guess and say that you haven't spend any quality or meaningul time with a shotgun. Not ragging but merely expressing that threads like this are pointless.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:58 pm 
Field Grade

Quote:
In a middle of the night situation, was just wondering what Grip is faster and takes less fumbling in the dark while under stress.

In this instance, there is no "better"... there is only what you practice and train with that makes it better.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

Creep is right. The thing to remember is that your mind is the true weapon and any firearm or other implement is just a tool for the job.

There is no universal answer to your question. What works is what you've trained with. No one is magically falling by the type of stock you have on your gun.

So my suggestion is to start off with a standard stock with a 12" to 14" LOP and after you've shot and trained with it for many, many rounds, you'll be in a better position to see if something else will help facilitate what you're mind has decided to do.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Creep wrote:
Quote:
In a middle of the night situation, was just wondering what Grip is faster and takes less fumbling in the dark while under stress.

In this instance, there is no "better"... there is only what you practice and train with that makes it better.

Sure there can be "better".

Does the factory wood stock have more mass (weight)? Will that help mitigate recoil?

Does a plastic collapsible stock offer more variation in fit without cutting a stock to length? Would that be helpful?

Does one offer a better selection of recoil pad possibilities for further felt recoil mitigation?

Both have attributes and possible benefits. I'm one of those who clearly prefers more "traditional" styled wood stocks, or a quality, fiber-reinforced synthetic stocks (not all synthetic stocks are created equal). The wood stock to me soaks up a lot more recoil on a 12 or 20 gauge pump shotgun. Collapsible stocks work great on AR style gas operated rifles, which have little recoil to start with.

You'll have to decide what you are looking for in a stock, what fits you best, and what feels better to you.

For what it's worth, and while some military and SWAT type operators are using "tactical" stocks, most law enforcement officers use the tried and true wood or traditional synthetic stocks on their duty weapons.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:37 pm 
Limited Edition

How much stock do you need to shoot a burglar/rapist/whatever at 10 feet?
Lotta mission drift here. I've I were running the backstreets of Bagdad or storming a crack house I would want some tactical doodads. But , that's not what I do.

A shotgun over the door,
A 30-06 for reaching out;
You don't need any more.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

JMHO, the standard stocks we have today evolved over hundreds of years of both sporting and military use. Sporting shotguns are used for fast instinctive shooting of moving targets. What is defensive shooting? Fast instinctive shooting of moving targets.

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.----Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:09 pm 
Utility Grade

New user here, trying to lurk as much as possible before starting a new thread on a topic that has been beaten to death. Just picked up a new 870 Tactical and I personally prefer the feel of a pistol grip over the standard stock. Looking online at some of the options out there, I see negative reviews of the blackhawks not fitting too well out of the box. I was just wondering, If I were dead set on getting a pistol grip adjustable stock, which product has the best quality, fit and finish? I see a lot of mentions of ATI on here so I am getting the feeling that they are the preferred brand.

Like someone said, im not patrolling the streets of Baghdad or East LA (although I live right by East LA). I just want a dependable and well manufactured pistol grip adjustable stock that gets the job done. Thanks in advance for your insight!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:04 am 
Limited Edition

blackhawke88 wrote:
New user here, trying to lurk as much as possible before starting a new thread on a topic that has been beaten to death. Just picked up a new 870 Tactical and I personally prefer the feel of a pistol grip over the standard stock. Looking online at some of the options out there, I see negative reviews of the blackhawks not fitting too well out of the box. I was just wondering, If I were dead set on getting a pistol grip adjustable stock, which product has the best quality, fit and finish? I see a lot of mentions of ATI on here so I am getting the feeling that they are the preferred brand.

Like someone said, im not patrolling the streets of Baghdad or East LA (although I live right by East LA). I just want a dependable and well manufactured pistol grip adjustable stock that gets the job done. Thanks in advance for your insight!

ATI is FAR from the #1 choice of a shotgun stock. I would say that the Hogue 12" LOP is the most commonly suggested stock. And is as TACTICAL as it needs to be.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:26 pm 
Utility Grade

I have Speedfeed youth model standard stocks on two of my shotguns. 13" LOP and made well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Jus before I went to the Thunder Ranch Defensive Shotgun course, I considered getting a shotgun with a pistol gripped long stock, with a grip similar to an AR-15, which I had a lot of practice with. (Just to make it clear, I consider a pistol grip only (PGO) shotgun to be mostly useless, and students are not allowed to use them in the professional shotgun schools I am familiar with.)

Luckily for me, the local Gander Mountain had both regular and pistol gripped shotguns available. They were in a rack where I could shoulder and test both.

I was kind of leaning toward the pistol gripped stock, but was surprised at how badly it mounted to my shoulder and how awkward it felt to me. The regular straight stock feels MUCH better to me.

I know it is often a matter of personal preference, but don't assume that you will like a pistol gripped stock.

Hunters and police officers have been using straight stocks for hundreds of years for a reason. ;)

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:16 pm 
Crown Grade

:? I don't recall ANY mentions of ATI.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

Quote:
Questions answered by Questions are most often the best answer. Thanks Duck. 99.93 and 1/4% for sure going with the Mossy 590A1 SPX.

If you're going to buy any Mossberg pump you'll be better off with a traditional stock. The pg stock puts your hand too low to reach the safety without shifting your grip. Try it a few times in the store before you pull out your money card.

If you're going to spend money on an aftermarket stock for a Mossberg look at the Hogue stocks.

http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=18

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:55 pm 
Crown Grade

Old_Painless wrote:
Jus before I went to the Thunder Ranch Defensive Shotgun course, I considered getting a shotgun with a pistol gripped long stock, with a grip similar to an AR-15, which I had a lot of practice with. (Just to make it clear, I consider a pistol grip only (PGO) shotgun to be mostly useless, and students are not allowed to use them in the professional shotgun schools I am familiar with.)

Luckily for me, the local Gander Mountain had both regular and pistol gripped shotguns available. They were in a rack where I could shoulder and test both.

I was kind of leaning toward the pistol gripped stock, but was surprised at how badly it mounted to my shoulder and how awkward it felt to me. The regular straight stock feels MUCH better to me.

I know it is often a matter of personal preference, but don't assume that you will like a pistol gripped stock.

Hunters and police officers have been using straight stocks for hundreds of years for a reason. ;)
emphasis mine -vthdh

I've said this before, but Know several LEO's that use 870 Police shotguns with wood stocks. My good friend and hunting partner (well, at least until he recently became a K9 officer and hasn't had time for birds or steelhead this year) has an AR in his patrol car with a plastic "adjustable stock". (of course). Yet he said he would have no desire to have one on his shotgun whatsoever.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:05 am 
Utility Grade

prc77 wrote:
blackhawke88 wrote:

ATI is FAR from the #1 choice of a shotgun stock. I would say that the Hogue 12" LOP is the most commonly suggested stock. And is as TACTICAL as it needs to be.

I did more reading and, although AIT is mentioned a lot, I have learned that is it not the preferred brand. i have since purchased a used Mesa Tactical adapter and I am very happy with it!

My girl friend thinks it's easy to handle too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Any traditional wood stock can be cut down and made to look like it came from the factory that way by a competent gunsmith. Having owned my share of "black long guns" over the last 25 years there is something about the traditional blued steel/wood furniture shotgun that I find appealing. If you find yourself leaning toward a traditional (non PG) stock, wood is good!