CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg 930 SPX Magazine Spring/Follower Upgrades!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

The other day I was cleaning my 930, had all the pieces scattered about my living room floor and accidentally stepped on my factory magazine spring, bent it and ruined it. So before I started ordering things and getting into trial and error, I decided to take the Nordic Components spring and magazine follower out of my 870 and see if they worked in the 930. They feed perfectly together and I still have a 7+1 capacity. I loaded it with 7 a handful of times and cycled all of the shells out, mostly testing to see if the spring was long enough to eject the last round and it was. I started loading one at a time into the tube and cycling it with the same results. The spring was cut to 25" originally and it has fed 100% in my 870 with a custom 7 round magazine so I see no reason why it wouldn't work in the 930. I've kept my 870's magazine loaded with 7 for probably four months now and it's compressed to 24" but still feeds perfectly in both guns. I've read about people with springs cut as long as 35" (my factory spring is 30") in their 930s and the way I look at it, the NC is much stronger than the factory spring so I don't need as much of it. If I've made some kind of gross error here and the shotgun fails miserably as some point in the near future, I'll update everyone on it but like I said, I've had success with an almost identical magazine with this spring and follower combination so I don't think that's going to happen.

A 930 SPX has 18 3/4" of total magazine space. A typical, unfired 2 3/4" shell is about 2 1/4" so that's 15 3/4" and that leaves 3" for the spring to compress. The Nordic Components follower is longer than most others but is still only 1 3/16" long.

Last edited by Misery556 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Mossberg 930 SPX Magazine Spring/Follower Upgrades!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

Does the mag spring fit inside of the NC follower?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

62-10 wrote:
Does the mag spring fit inside of the NC follower?

It does. That was one of the problems I had with the Brownell's stainless steel follower I had been using. The inside of it is shaped like they don't want you to be able to fit a spring in it but the NC follower is hollow and rounded.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

Good to know, thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

Updated original post. Original cut was 25" and has compressed to 24" in the 870 after being loaded for several months. Still feeds perfectly but I may down load it by 1 or 2 rounds, maybe unload for it a while and rotate HD duty between it and the 930 going forward. I received my new spring and follower and put them in the 930 this afternoon. The spring is cut to 26 inches, still allows room for all 7 rounds and feeds perfectly.

It may be worth mentioning to anyone who was put off of the NC follower by its color (it used to be grey), the new follower I got in the mail today is red. Exactly the same design, just a different color.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:51 am 
Utility Grade

I stepped on my magazine spring yesterday too! Ahhhh crap

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2