CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Westley Richards Muzzleloader
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:02 pm 
Utility Grade

So I had a grandparent pass away recently and My mother asked me to look through his gun collection and I came across this Westley Richards Muzzleloader side by side shot gun and am looking for info on it.

From the reseach I have done I can tell it is a genuine Westley Richards.
It is clearly marked "Westley Richards" on both sides and in between the barrels.

The Serial number is #6311 which I looked up on their website and it is said to be made in 1884.

The rust color to the gun is all surface rust with no major pitting or scoring.

The pics arent great as I left town and and had my mother take them.

Any info or value would be greatly appreciated.

link to album of pics : http://s747.photobucket.com/albums/xx11 ... 20Shotgun/

Post subject: Re: Westley Richards Muzzleloader
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I take it you have checked the Proof Marks on the gun and these are confirmed as Birmigham ?.
Just an observation but the rib inscription (I think) reads 170 New Bond Street, I understand the premises were renumbered to #178 around 1878 so should a gun dating from 1884 not show the 'new' street address ?.
Your gun certainly looks like Westley 'quality' but to get an idea of value you should have it examined by a competent gunsmith. A gun of this type would certainly appeal to the 'collector' market and if the barrels are still in good condition (with adequate wall thickness and free of major internal pits) it would appeal to these strange people who still shoot muzzle loaders. You may get an idea on value by checking out realized for similiar guns prices on online auction sites.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:25 pm 
Utility Grade

Ill call and get confirmation of exactly what the address is.

I checked the proof marks but ill get a pic and post it to confirm.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:11 pm 
Utility Grade

Confirmed the address is 170.

Pic of the barrel markings

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:25 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Can not really see the marks in your pic but if you can decipher them as being correct for 1884 so be it. :)
The rib address is a bit of a puzzle, I checked out a few other Westleys online and all had the 178 address if they were of that time period.
As i said earlier you would need a competent gunmsmith to give an idea on value.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:34 am 
Utility Grade

I'm going off the serial number finder on thier website for the mfg date so it could be wrong.

Ill have to get one of my cousins to take it to a smith to get it looked at as I'm in texas and the gun is in Ohio. Any suggestions on where I can look up a reputable smith in the canton/Akron area?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am a seruious distance away from Ohio but I am sure somwe other members of the forum will be able to point you in the right direction for a good gunsmith.
Good luck with the gun anyway :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

in my opinion i think its a fine piece, worthy of a proper cleaning, i would not re finish it, i would simply take it to a gunsmith thats well versed in antiques, this could have considerable worth, as the majority of westley richards firearms ,are rather valuable in any configuration, in my experience ive noticed that muzzleloaders bring less a premium than a cartridge sxs shotgun, but as i said, it still has value,
you could even take pics, and google collectors online and they could shed some light on it,
also there is a place called IMA international, i know from watching the television show on them, the owner deals in antique black powder firearms, flintlock or percussion pistols, rifles and shotguns, also military pieces, if you contacted them and provide gd clear pictures, they may be able to help you in determining a value, i hope this helps, perhaps if its proven safe by a gunsmith, you could enjoy shooting it,but ceartainly have it looked at first