CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Model unknown Ithaca double barrel 12ga. 32''
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:58 am 
Utility Grade

Ive been scouring the interweb for about 8hrs and im still not sure exactly which model it is. Id say (unfortunately) it is the very un-rare 1888 model, Serial number 8063, but I could easily be wrong. It also says "London Twist" on the top. Here are some pics.

Post subject: Re: Model unknown Ithaca double barrel 12ga. 32''
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:25 am 
Crown Grade

Had to look in four books before I could find the name. Although it bears the makers name, by my definition , it's a "Trade Brand Name " shotgun. The gun is listed in Charles E. Carders book, "Side by Sides of the World" under Ithaca among the "New York Made" guns. The gun is described as a box lock outside hammer (this doesn't appear correct as I can't see any hammers and box lock guns don't have hammers in the photograph) having double triggers, damascus barrels, splinter forearm, checkered wood. According to the book, Ithaca imported barrels (damascus?) until 1915. By the information given, it's a model all of its own.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:54 am 
Utility Grade

Ned Fall wrote:
Had to look in four books before I could find the name. Although it bears the makers name, by my definition , it's a "Trade Brand Name " shotgun. The gun is listed in Charles E. Carders book, "Side by Sides of the World" under Ithaca among the "New York Made" guns. The gun is described as a box lock outside hammer (this doesn't appear correct as I can't see any hammers and box lock guns don't have hammers in the photograph) having double triggers, damascus barrels, splinter forearm, checkered wood. According to the book, Ithaca imported barrels (damascus?) until 1915. By the information given, it's a model all of its own.

It belonged to my great grandfather and was mainly used circa 1900. My guess is that documentation on sh*t way back then was not as meticulous as it is now and the information that is available has been lost in translation so to speak, skewed over time. The serial number given does not make any sense with what the manufacturers description is. Could maybe be custom made for all i know.

Second possibility is that the upper and lower receivers are from two different firearms. seems how this shotgun hasnt been fired in over 100 years kinda makes me doubt it is a hybrid.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:57 am 
Utility Grade

I have a feeling if i crack it open to look inside i may not be able to get it back together. Did the research and learned that the pin holding it together is not easy to get out and even more difficult to get back in

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:11 am 
Utility Grade

i give up. tried to find it again it the serial number is consistent with the ones listed for the single barrell pump action Model 37 made in 1938. That would mean that my grandfather would have been the original owner and he never even shot it after his father passed.

So actually i think i figured it out. Only explanation is

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:58 am 
Crown Grade

The gun is a first year, 1888, Crass Model Ithaca hammerless. Very early on, Ithaca Gun Co. used the same "New Ithaca Gun" roll stamp on the sides of of both their hammer gun known as the NIG (New Ithaca Gun) and their hammerless Crass Model. Fairly soon they got a roll stamp for the sides that said Ithaca Hammerless. The Crass Model is named for its designer Frederick L. Crass.

While the Ithaca Gun Co. did make "trade brand" guns, this certainly isn't one of them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:54 pm 
Utility Grade

Researcher01 wrote:
The gun is a first year, 1888, Crass Model Ithaca hammerless. Very early on, Ithaca Gun Co. used the same "New Ithaca Gun" roll stamp on the sides of of both their hammer gun known as the NIG (New Ithaca Gun) and their hammerless Crass Model. Fairly soon they got a roll stamp for the sides that said Ithaca Hammerless. The Crass Model is named for its designer Frederick L. Crass.

While the Ithaca Gun Co. did make "trade brand" guns, this certainly isn't one of them.

Hard to come by? Est. value?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Quite right, it's not a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun. But then, not all "Trade Brand Name" shotguns were inexpensive pieces of junk.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:11 pm 
Crown Grade

In that bruised and battered condition, the gun is hardly worth a C note. There are plenty enough Crass Models of higher grade, and much better condition, to satisfy the demand even for such an early example.