CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cardinal Shooting Center Ohio
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:56 am 
Tournament Grade

Has anyone shot here? If so any comments would be appreciated. Thinking of making a weekend trip to check it out.

http://www.cardinalcentercamp.com/

"Hope my wife never sells my guns and gear when I am gone for what I told her I paid for them."

Post subject: Re: Cardinal Shooting Center Ohio
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It is a great place to shoot!

Dan Bailey is the manager and he sets some nice targets!

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife

Krieghoff K 80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
NSCA 546619
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

+1 Terry

I think the Cadinal has improved greatly since Dan took over. His targets are creative to say the least.

It is well worth the trip.

Follow the link from my website to "Like" us on Facebook.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:03 pm 
Utility Grade

I didnt shoot there when it was under the previous management but since Dan Bailey has been in charge it has been phenomenal. I am from Michigan and myself along with about 30 other Michigan shooters make the 3.5 hour drive to Cardinal just about every monthly shoot

If you are enjoy shooting tournaments and don't mind being tested you owe it to yourself to go. It is worth it now question.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

In my opinion, it's the best that central Ohio has to offer!

I live 30 minutes from them. Dan does a great job!

Two courses to choose from or, you can rent a cart and shoot the whole place. You can pick up a copy of their league score sheet and shoot the course that Dan has picked out for those 2 weeks. They have a 5 stand that you can warm up on as well.

It would be worth a trip if the weather is nice. It can get a tad nippy in the winter months as they are surrounded by cut fields. On the other hand, it's very pleasant in the summer as it seems a constant light breeze keeps the temps down and the shade of all the trees keeps the sun off your head and out of your eyes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:04 pm 
Utility Grade

I agree with the previous posts. Dan does a great job in setting up 2 different 100 bird courses. All promatic traps so you can shoot by your self if you want to work on certain target presentations or there are usually plenty of people around that you can shoot with.

Ill be there tomorrow around 10:30 with a couple of guys, you would be welcome to join us if you want. The one course will be tournament quality targets that will challenge you and the other will be more "friendly". If your into sub gauge shooting it makes a great course for the small bore.

You won't be disappointed.

Rich

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:02 am 
Tournament Grade

I hate to be the only one with negative comments, so im happy to say i dont have any. Great place to shoot and they have been woikin very hard to keep improving the sporting courses

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:04 am 
Tournament Grade

The Santa Shoot Out on the 16th is a registered shoot?

"Hope my wife never sells my guns and gear when I am gone for what I told her I paid for them."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes. :)

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You can sign up for here.

http://www.winscoreonline.com/index.php?mod=upcoming

Muller Chokes
NSCA 546619
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:12 am 
Tournament Grade

Unfortunately Dan Bailey is no longer in charge nor setting targets. The owner Jack Fishburn, apparently felt that he could get by with less and let Dan go. The assistant from before is trying to run a 3-4 person job mostly by himself and I'm sure this will make some difference. I have only been back once since then.DB

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:19 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Can anyone say "Down Hill"!

Muller Chokes
NSCA 546619
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm going to miss Dan's targets....I couldn't hit them, but it was fun trying.

I think this was a mistake. Good luck Dan!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:35 am 
Field Grade

This is one of the best and nicest places to shoot! Dan sets high quality targets on both courses! Cardinal was on its way to becoming one of the best courses in this region! Dan had quite a few really good ideas for continued course development. I fear that the quality of targets may suffer.

Does anyone find I odd that Cardinal has gone through two course managers in such a short time?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:22 pm 
Utility Grade

De Bob unfortunately I think you're right. I've been there a couple of times since Dan's departure and the targets haven't been changed much. You can't replace a guy like Dan with his experience by putting an "assistant in charge" of setting 60-70 traps. Just doesn't have the depth of targets to pull from.

Time will tell, maybe someone else with some experience will come in and lease it from the Fishburns, sure hope so.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

I've never shot sporting clays there, but I've shot trap at the Cardinal Center - the last time being the Ohio State Shoot. I think the
place is mostly trapshooting oriented, sort of a replacement for Vandalia, Ohio - the former site of the Grand American and Ohio State trapshooting events.

There are several sporting clays courses in the Columbus,Ohio area and possibly too much competition to warrant a full time manager for the sporting clays course.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It is a sporting clays destination as well. They have really built up the sporting course. With Dan setting targets the palce was really great. I'm sure they had no trouble competeing with other courses in the area.

They hosted the Ohio State Sporting Clays Championship for the last two years and did a great job of it.

I don'think they are going to scrub the sporting clays part of the business. Lets just hope they give the sporting clays course the attention it needs.

That includeds a manager that shoots and understands the game of sporting clays.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

Denali Bob wrote:
Unfortunately Dan Bailey is no longer in charge nor setting targets.

Sorry to hear that, since he took over all of the traps were working and the course was radically different each time I was there (twice per month). Typically shoot 50 on the ez course and 50 on the hard one. When I was there 2 weeks ago, some of the traps were not working right, chalked it up to an oddity, perhaps it was lack of Dan making sure that the details were taken care of.

Nice place to shoot.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

dcblvsh2 wrote:
I don'think they are going to scrub the sporting clays part of the business. Lets just hope they give the sporting clays course the attention it needs.

That includeds a manager that shoots and understands the game of sporting clays.

I agree that's what they need. It doesn't mean they'll get it - unless they can start running enough sporting clays shooters through there to make it profitable.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:16 am 
Tournament Grade

They have more than enough shooters at least until the change to make it profitable. Even in the recent very cold weather there have been many shooters. The availability of two different level courses, ability to shoot by yourself on all courses including 5-stand, and a viable weekly sporting course league with a change of presentation of 50 - 100 % of targets on a weekly basis had made this the premier venue in central Ohio. Certainly other clubs in the immediate area have seen a transfer of allegiance. If you go please express your concern about the change. D Bob