CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester skeet wood restoration
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

My question is whether to have the checkering freshing up or recutt. I have a prewar set of skeet wood. The set is solid but the checkering is really worn down. How much would I ruin the value if this wood set is recheckered and reoiled. This probably should be in the restoration forum, but I respect the winchester experts on this forum I am attaching a picture for review. Since it is so worn, its value may already be ruined.

Post subject: Re: Winchester skeet wood restoration
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

Grayfox,

I was wondering the same thing as I have a set of skeet grade wood in the same exact boat as your stock and forend....

I think I am going got have my set redone as the WS-1 Solid Rib 12 Gauge skeet grade it's on was recently reblued by our gunsmith. He did a great job and since it is a 50's era Skeet grade with well worn wood and almost no remaining blue I figured a restoration was not out of line.

I'm interested to hear opinions of this.....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

M12Gunboy, I like the color and wood grain in this prewar stock set. I have been told that any kind of refinishing destroys the value on model 12 stocks. How do you do anything but refinish some if you have dents steamed out. I sometimes would rather restore a shooter to its original glory than to look an old original gun that is not worth anything but as a shooter for sincere collectors. I have to ask about the wood and probably know the answer.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

Yeah it's a nice set. You are correct "any kind of refinishing destroys value on model 12 stocks", and entire guns for that matter.

I am with you, some tlike the 50's skeet grade solid rib I have was in such bad shape I don't think it had much of any collector value due to condition and in my mind qualified as a redo candidate bringing her back to her original glory. Now had mine been a 50's skeet grade in 30-40% shape with 12-5 engraving and all original, that would have been a different story.

I'm having my wood recut/checkered and with the reblue and new replacement Winchester red recoil pad it will be a beauty ready for another 60-100 years of service.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

Grayfox,

Not trying to drail your thread. I picked up a 1922 Nickle Steel 28" Full Plain Barrel 20 Gauge about two months ago, less than 10% of the blue remains, forend is in great shape but the perch belly stock had a large chunk missing from the pistol grip and some one had added a sling stud in the stock at some point and then the hole had been refilled. I gave $250 for it and figured being a 1922 gun and this year being 2012 that in ten years it will be 100 year old gun. We had use a little boy this year (6/17/2012), he's six months old and will hopefully inherit an awesome Winchester shotgun collection when he's older. I'm 43, and figured the 1922 model 12 would be an awesome project gun to give him when he's turns 10, and the gun is 100 years old. So far I've straightened out that perch belly into a traditional english stock, looks damm good and started applying stain and light sanding. I had an old but still soft and usable red Winchester recoil pad that just happended to fit too. Once the color is where I want it, I will do the forend before applying tru-oil coats. The rest of the gun will be going to the gunsmith for a reblue after the first of the year. Our gunsmith in South GA does us a great job, probably one of the best I've ever seen and for $175.00. The best part is he know's the deal of the do's and don'ts on model 12 refinishes and how they came from Winchester.

Again, sorry to drail the thread but in my opinion the 1922 20 gauge had very little to NO collector value, but will make a great story teller to my son's children down the road....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

As you well know, in any forum there are as many opinions as there are members. So here is my two cents. not right, not wrong, just what I think.

I differ from many on this forum in that a large percentage of the Winchesters we debate, have little collector value. In those cases, I vote for refinish and utility value.

It is my opinion that the wood set you have is very nice, but I would have a top quality refinish job and enjoy the use and beauty of it. I have a fellow that refinishes a lot of my Winchester wood. He strips, recuts the checkering, stains and oils the stocks and forearms for $150.

My whole thing is to use almost everything I own. I get my enjoyment from shooting and sharing with others. I will only be on this earth a short time and intend to enjoy every minute.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

I could be mistaken here, but looking at your pictures and bringing them up to 400%, both the stock and the forend appear to have had a coat of varnish applied. . It shows up in the checkering. . As I said, I could be mistaken from just looking at pictures. . If the finish is original and the checkering is just filled with hand sweat and dirt; you may improve the checkering from cleaning it out with a tooth brush and cleaner. . You may have good results from masking the rest of the stock off and cleaning with a tooth brush and methyll hydrate or even acetone if your very careful. . Once it dried off, tooth brush in some extra refined linseed oil, very sparingly.

Rod

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

I strongly agree on the usage of Winchesters. To have a pristine, original example of a high grade Model 12 is great if you are in it for the money, and that is fine. For me, it's never been about the money. Just the fact of what you have, a high quality (in every aspect) firearm that will last two lifetimes. Also, the heritage of Winchester and all that it represents aside from the quality firearms it produced. We collect guns that are totally unique against their peers. Very recently, I took a worn out and battered 1939 Model 12 Skeet 16 gauge with solid rib, which is a rather rare bird. I put it in Pauline's hands and the rest is history. It's now engraved in a modified factory pattern and beautifully refinished. It is now choked WS2 and I have the perfect field gun. Sure, it's no longer original, but it's just as good, if not better from a usage standpoint. It's the pride of my collection and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Grayfox, I think you are doing yourself, and Winchester a great service by returning guns like this to their former glory. After having mine done, I did not look back once. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I hope my children can figure out a better way to make a living than by selling all my guns.:)

If it's not collectible, make it pretty and shoot it until it's not as pretty as when you started shooting it!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

M12Gunboy, I have something you may be interested in. It is a 20 gauge perch belly stock that is solid, but someone cut off just a little of the curved butstock and put a plug in the second hole that the early 20s had in the butstock. I will post some pictures. I had a early 20 solid rib that had been cut alot and big recoil pad. I run across a box of stocks that had 2 - 20s, and 1 12 perch belly that just had the finish flaking off. I replaced the stock on my 20 with a era correct perch belly stock with winchester butt plate. The other 20 needs a recoil pad and that will make the length of pull a little longer that the factory 13 1/2. If you may need one pm me.