CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: reloading the Lee 12 Ga slugs?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:40 pm 
Limited Edition

Is anyone loading the LEE 12 ga home cast slugs that use a regular wad?
If so can you post some info about what case/wad/powder/primer/etc is used?

Thank You
Michael Grace

When all else fails RTFM.

Post subject: Re: reloading the Lee 12 Ga slugs?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

I don't have any game we hunt here in Arizona that is suitable for those slugs, but I bought a mould and tried them just for the hell of it.

Used the load data that was in the Hodgdon manual (hard cover) and used a Green Duster wad instead of the Winchester wad.

Nothing negative to say about them. They worked just fine punching paper.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:34 pm 
Limited Edition

That load from the Hodgdon manual does that use the regular start fold crimp or a roll crimp?
Do you know if they list the load in their online/PDF manual?

I need to get me about 10 more reloading manuals, LOL

Michael Grace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:55 am 
Presentation Grade

Yes, it uses a regular star fold crimp, on those old AA cases it's an 8 fold and it did crimp just fine.

I think they have it listed on their website, but I haven't looked lately. Here it is from the Hodgdon Powder Shotshell Data Manual (Hardcover 1st edition I believe).

Lead Slugs, Lee Precision
12 gauge, 2 3/4", Winchester Compression formed AA-type plastic shells
1 oz.
HS-6
Win.209
WAA12F114 (I substituted a Green Duster)
36.0 grains 10,800 PSI 1,500 fps.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:14 pm 
Field Grade

I haven't been happy so far. I'm shooting rifled shotguns with rifle sights and looking for better accuracy than I have been getting. The problem seems to be in the fit of slug to shotcup and in getting uniform separation. There is a lot of difference in pedal thickness of the wads for which data is available and there ain't a lot of data available.

Some of that data is for the now obsolete and greatly lamented Activ hull and wads. I have a limited supply left and have gotten my best results from those. The Activ wad has pedals of uniform thickness, rather than tapered and is heavy enough. The skeet wads often have tapered pedals which makes it much more difficult to get the slug fully seated and they are not really strong enough for the fearsome beating they get in a slug load. I've picked up quite a few badly mangled wads.

I have also picked up a good few wads directly below my target holder. They had clearly traveled the whole way with the slug and been stripped off by the backer. Even found one halfway through the backer. Wads that separated normally are found about halfway to the 25 yard mark. This inconsistancy don't help accuracy at all.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:18 pm 
Limited Edition

Leftoverdj, if your shotgun is rifled shouldn't you be using sabot slugs?

I have a mossberg 500 regular smoothbore 26 or 28 inch ported barrel, that I put a cheap 4 power scope on and tested at about 20 yards, using an extended choke that is marked as full for 4 & 6 steel shot it was putting factory federal slugs with in 1 inch of where I was aiming. Time for me to go ahead and order a 2-7X32 to put on it.

So now I want to start loading my own slugs to cut down on the cost and to make them harder then the factory stuff. I been loading for rifles and pistols now for about 10 years so want to get into loading for my shotguns also.

Michael Grace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

The Lee slugs are essentially a short minne ball without the lube groves. They have something they call a drive key that is supposed to keep the center of the wad from going into the center of the skirt.

They are designed to expand under pressure and fit the bore like a minne ball with the petals of the wad making contact with the bore rather than the soft lead that they are supposed to be cast from.

They are real easy to cast and load.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:55 pm 
Field Grade

mgrace wrote:
Leftoverdj, if your shotgun is rifled shouldn't you be using sabot slugs?

Not at $2-$3 a pop.

And I am using about a half dozen shotguns. Most of my slug work is done in a Greener Martini I had rifled 20 years back and I have recently added an NEF Tracker II that I put a Marbles peep on. I also sometimes shoot a Rem. 870 with peep sights and a Hastings Paradox tube. For smoothbores, I put a skeet tube in the 870 or use a Franchi AL 48 with an IC barrel. Once in a while, I put a few through the Imp. Mod barrel of a Valmet 412. That one does really well with cheapo Win factory.

Best results have come from .735 RBs, but you have to be really careful not to let them get into a shotgun with more than a very modest choke, and they kick like a young cannon.

Nothing wrong with shooting regular slugs in a rifled barrel. I have to clean out some leading when I shoot factory, but I lube my homebrew slugs and RBs and they don't lead. As Thomas has pointed out, the Lees are a kinda sorta sabot slug and never come in contact with the bore.