CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester 101
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:18 pm 
Field Grade

hi guys,
after so long finally I bought winchester 101 O/U NIB
it is 28" bbl, 3"chamber and it will be my gun for pheasants and some clay shooting with kids.
I was looking for long time to add one O/U and had in mind bunch of o/u some that I would like
to have are out of my reach, and other that they are they had some negative reviews. So I was
lookin and checking and some how ended with winchester. I have no idea if I made good decesion
or not time will tell. Soon as I get gun will post some pictures and make review on it. What made me
to buy win. is that is made in Belgium and Browning is made or was made there at same co. Olso heard
winchester is owned by Browning. Here is picture that was showing gun that will be sent to me , don't know is this true but looks nice. Paid for it with shipping $1.299 a bit maybe to much but what the hell. I want to
go hunt pheasants after new year with my buddys so will see what they have to say.

Post subject: Re: Winchester 101
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Good gun. Good choice for pheasants. You will love it for many years. Not too much for the price.
Nothing negative about this deal at all. Enjoy it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:40 pm 
Crown Grade

A very nice gun. The ones I've shot I really like.

They are actually made in Belgium at an FN Herstal plant, with some assembly possibly done at an FN plant in Portugal. Herstal is the parent company that owns Browning, and FN Manufacturing and FN USA, as well as the Winchester brand which they license from Olin. (firearms only- others license/make the Winchester ammo, clothing, etc.).

While custom Browning O/U's are made by FN Herstal in Begium, all Citoris are manufactured in Japan by Miroku for Browning.

FN USA also makes long guns, and very nice pistols in South Carolina, as well as the excellent new Winchester M70 golt action rifles.

Quote:
Where are Winchester firearms manufactured?
This is one of the most-asked questions. Mostly because Winchester's complex history and because there have been a number of changes and moves in production over the past 20 years or so. For most of the history of Winchester firearms production was primarily centered in the historic factory in New Haven, Connecticut. A number of guns over the years were also produced in Canada (at the Cooey plant which was purchased by Olin Corporation -- Winchester-Western -- in the early 1960s). That facility has not been part of Winchester for many years. The history of Winchester becomes more complex in recent years with Winchester firearms becoming separate from Winchester Ammunition (Olin) in 1981 and with ownership of the factory and license of the brand changing several times. Under new management, a more consistent pattern emerged in the early 1990s. Since then Winchester rifles and shotguns have been produced at associated factories in many locations around the world. At that time a more global approach to manufacturing began and a new emphasis on growth of the line, a greater commitment to quality and a strong push to improve overall product value began.

Today we operate under the name (as we did years ago) Winchester Repeating Arms Company. Being part of a greater business group we now have access to other top level factories and resources in the U.S. and around the world. This works to the benefit of all of you. This gives us the ability to produce the best firearms possible with the value you expect from a Winchester -- all at the appropriate factory for the design requirements.

There are no secrets regarding where Winchester firearms are manufactured. The place of manufacture -- including the country -- is included on the barrel roll permanently inscribed on your gun. If you have any questions at all about the origin of your rifle or shotgun, just look at the barrel inscription.

Below is an outline of where each Winchester firearm is manufactured.

Winchester Model 70.
Today's Model 70 bolt action rifles are made at our factory in South Carolina, U.S.A. The Model 70 factory is part of the same state-of-the-art manufacturing complex where the rifles and machine guns used by America's Armed Forces around the world are built. They are made to the exact ISO 9001 standards of quality that the U.S. Government insists upon for military firearms. Previous production was at the New Haven, Connecticut factory. That factory closed in 2006.

Super X3 Autoloading Shotgun (SX3).
The Super X3 autoloader is the latest in the line of shotguns having their roots in the original Super X Model One, although mechanically the similarities are very vague compared to the original. The Super X3 action is more directly related to the Super X2 introduced in 1999. Both the Super X2 and the newer Super X3 are made at our partner factory in Belgium, with additional assembly work done in our Portugal plant. In the gun industry "Made in Belgium" quality is legendary -- and you can see it in every part, every fit and every finish of the Winchester Super X3.

Super X Pump -- Pump Action Shotgun (SXP).
The SXP is a significant evolution of the exceptional Model 1300 Speed Pump. The Speed Pump established many speed and performance records over the years. The SXP is equally fast and incorporates new levels of quality and excellent value. Today's SXPs are designed and production is overseen by our R&D team in Morgan, Utah. They are then manufactured in our partner factory in Istanbul, Turkey. (Which used to be called Constantinople . . . you already know this if you learned the old song that says, "Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople.") Istanbul is a key manufacturing and trade center for Europe. Some SXP parts are sourced from our other Winchester group factories in Western Europe. SXPs are available in field models and Defender versions, and they are all assembled in the same factory. In an interesting bit of history, large numbers of Winchester Model 1866s were sold to the Turkish government in 1870 and Oliver Winchester himself, visited Constantinople (Istanbul) shortly thereafter to secure more sales of other firearms and ammunition.

Model 1894 (Model 94).
The recent reintroduction of the historic Model 94 was spearheaded from our R&D facility in Utah. We then utilize our Winchester Repeating Arms sister factory in the mountain country near the city of Kochi, Japan. Although the Model 94 is the most recent historic Winchester to be built in this factory it is not the first. Since the mid 1990s all Winchester historic lever actions (formerly called Limited Editions) have been made at this same factory. This includes the rifles listed below.

Historic Winchesters: Model 1885 Single Shot, Model 1886 lever action, Model 1892 lever action, Model 1895 lever action.
These "Historical Winchesters" are back in production today after being absent from the market for many decades. All were all dropped from production by the original Winchester company over half a century ago. Each of these models was reintroduced by today's Winchester Repeating Arms Company at some point beginning in the 1990s. All are in production today. All are made in our partner factory in Japan.

Model 101 Over and Under.
The Model 101 is the evolution of a line of fine over and unders that started with the Supreme Series a decade ago. It was designed and coordinated between our teams at the Utah facility and our R&D resources in Belgium and Portugal. It is designed and styled to have the same proven performance of the original Winchester 101s of half a century ago, but utilizes an exceptionally strong low profile lockup and is fitted with all the modern amenities required of a top performing over and under. In every way, today's Model 101s are exquisitely manufactured and show exceptional craftsmanship. All Winchester over and unders in recent years have been made in our partner factory in Belgium with additional assembly work done in our factory in Portugal. The "Made in Belgium" production location is inscribed on the barrel and these are the only production over and unders in the world that currently have the distinction of being made in Belgium.

For a full accounting of manufacturing start dates for many Winchester firearms check out the Winchester Historic Timeline.

from: http://www.winchesterguns.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?id=287

Last edited by VTHokiesDuckHunter on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

You did good. You bought the best O/U in that price range by a mile. It will last you, and your children a lifetime and then some.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:18 pm 
Field Grade

thanks guys for replays and kind words, can't wait to get it in my hands and go shoot some pheasants.
Ordered today trulock chokes mod, and full.
When I sowed gun picture to my older son he said 'dad now I need to order one '
I have best christmas and new year present ever. :)
marry christmas and happy new year everyone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

Enjoy that 101 grof, from what I hear, they are quite a nice gun 8)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:46 pm 
Limited Edition

grof,
Excellent choice. I've shot one for 3 years and love it. IMO they are the "best buy" of 12 gauge O/U on the market today.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:23 am 
Diamond Grade

I tried to tell you guys that 10 years ago LOL
Dave

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

They are finaly starting to listen! I shoot a lot of skeet and sporting clays with mine, and everyone who has looked at it has been very impressed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:44 am 
Presentation Grade

How do the 101s that were made in Japan compare to the FN made 101s?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The older 101s had a reputation for kicking like a pished-off mule.

Robert E. Lee's 200th birthday was 1/19/07. I hope AP Hill takes that hill at Gettysburg in every dream he has. Freedom isn't free. 11B; 54E20

OMG has a whole new meaning. OBAMA MUST GO!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

2few nailed it on the "old" 101's. We'll see how the new ones do.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

Winchester made a big mistake calling the new gun a "101" because it brings out that question. The new gun is about as much like the old one as a Citori is to a Beretta 686. They are both O/U shotguns, but thats about it. One is a design that is the better part of 100 years old and made in Japan, the other is a much newer design made on the other side of the world. The new 101 is much more like a Beretta than is is like the old 101. And no, it has no more recoil than you would expect from a modern 7lb. O/U.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:49 pm 
Crown Grade

Beemanjohn wrote:
Winchester made a big mistake calling the new gun a "101" because it brings out that question. The new gun is about as much like the old one as a Citori is to a Beretta 686. They are both O/U shotguns, but thats about it. One is a design that is the better part of 100 years old and made in Japan, the other is a much newer design made on the other side of the world. The new 101 is much more like a Beretta than is is like the old 101. And no, it has no more recoil than you would expect from a modern 7lb. O/U.

+1

Beemanjohn - by the way, love your signature line..........

Mine could be the same , or maybe:

"Honey, is that a new pistol you're wearing? It looks different". "No, must just be the light". "yeah, but that ones black, and I thought you're other ones were stainless"..........

And of course there's: "CAN YOU PLEASE MOVE SOME OF THOSE DECOY BAGS SO I CAN GET MY CAR IN THE GARAGE!"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:34 pm 
Field Grade

Congrats on your new 101! Post some pheasant pics with it later!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

Quail hunted with one for years,still do for that matter... just don`t wanna shot it
a bunch. Shot skeet with the 4 barrel set for years... never a problem.These were all
Miroku and did kick.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:07 pm 
Crown Grade

shortgrub wrote:
Quail hunted with one for years,still do for that matter... just don`t wanna shot it
a bunch. Shot skeet with the 4 barrel set for years... never a problem.These were all
Miroku
and did kick.

I believe all of the Japanese 101's were made by Nikko, while Browning Citori's are made by Miroku. I might be wrong on that, but I think many of the 101's at least were made by Nikko or a similar name.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:05 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Olin owned a company known as Kodensha, the spelling could have a letter or two off beam, but you get the idea. That company also made the Niko shotguns. Niko got first pick of the wood so they usually had nicer wood than comparable 101s.

I've got a friend who more or less collects Diamond grade 101s. I've replaced a firing pin or two on them. An ejector hammer and an extractor on one of them. Midwest Gun Works has those parts in stock. I've got a Pigeon grade trap o/u and it is a beautifully made gun. Not saying the new version isn't a nice gun but I know the first production Selects were a prime example of some of the poorest workmanship ever produced buy a firearms manufacturer! I can only hope current Winchesters are much better.

BP

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:23 am 
Limited Edition

I had the Select Energy Sporting model. The forearm cracked after 100 rounds of trap. Browning repaired the gun, but I sold it as soon as it came back. I just thought a target gun should be a little more durable then that. I have not heard of this problem with the 101's though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:39 am 
Diamond Grade

BP I was a gunsmith for 40 years, now retired, and I bought one of the first Select's and the first thing I did was to pull the stock of and see how they were built. look like a watch inside. Very well built, and seeing they have not changed the action since they came out and NO ONE has had a problem with them please tell us what kind of junk FN built???????????????????????

They did have a very few that had the forend's crack but that was fixed. Please let us know what the problem is with them so we can see if we can on-load them before everyone reads your post!!!and we are stuck with this piece of junk gun!!
Dave