CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg 930 SPX loading from mag problem
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:56 pm 
Field Grade

I purchased a Mossberg 930 SPX which I dearly love but am experiencing a problem with loading from the magazine. The manual says to load on shell into the chamber first, then load the magazine. When I do this the gun works perfectly.

If I try to load a shell from the magazine what usually happens is that a shell is dumped from the magazine onto the ground or else I get a double feed and have to clear the jam...ouch ouch on my fingers!

I bought four double dummy rounds and tried every which way to get the gun load from the magazine with the above results. One method involved loading a shell into the chamber and ejecting it after loading the magazine but not catching the magazine button and easing the bolt closed leaving the gun cocked. Then I pull the bolt back and feed a shell from the mag into the chamber sometimes, sometimes not! I have tried pulling the trigger on an empty chamber and then trying to feed a shell from the mag into the chamber but with a bottom ejection or a double jam.

The only possible way the gun will function is with a shell in the chamber and a shell or shells in the magazine. Is this normal for this gun or is something amiss with mine?

Post subject: Re: Mossberg 930 SPX loading from mag problem
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:36 am 
Presentation Grade

That doesn't sound good at all. I never have any problems whether I feed from the magazine or load directly into the chamber. The only time I ever have problems with bottom ejection is if I try to overstuff the magazine or if the shell isn't properly seated in the magazine, it never makes it into the receiver and just drops to the ground. I don't know why that would happen when you said you're only loading four rounds into the magazine though.

So, if you start with a clear chamber, load the magazine, charge the bolt handle and hold it to the rear, there is no shell sitting on the carrier? Have you tried contacting Mossberg? Sending a gun back to a manufacturer is an absolute last resort for me but that doesn't sound good.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:33 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you Misery. Do you own a Mossberg 930 SPX? I hate to send the gun back to Mossberg and as you said it is a last resort sort of thing to do.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

I do. I've had it for a little over a year now. How long have you had it? My 930 wouldn't feed 100% with snap cap drills at first. It would hold open like it was empty but it wasn't. I played with it a lot that first week or so and then shot it A LOT and I haven't had any problems since. My AR-15 build put a couple of bursts together when I shot my first magazine through it. 100% ever since though. Sometimes guns do odd things when they're new. If it isn't new then I don't know ... Maybe get a hold of Mossberg, explain what the gun's doing and see what they say. Maybe it's a really simple fix and they won't even need you to send the gun in, maybe not. It can't hurt to ask.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

Is this issue happening with shells that have already been chambered a few times? I ask because a few members here (myself included) were having a similar issue. I keep my SPX in condition 3. Mag loaded, empty chamber and safety on.When I would pull the bolt back, a shell would not release from the mag tube. And it turns out that the shell(s) were chambered before, bending the rim enough that the shell catch was causing the shell to stick.

If this is not the case, then I would say that maybe your shell catch is a bit out of spec.

The Guinea

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:41 am 
Field Grade

I was using live shells some of which had loaded and ejected several times and then replaced with new unused shells. At one point I decided that this could result in a hole in the ceiling and purchased dummy shells with the same weight and size characteristics as live shells.

The only thing I can think of is that the loading manual of arms calls for loading a shell in the chamber and then the magazine. I am going call Mossberg after the Christmas holidays and see if there is a problem. I have experienced a bottom ejection from the magazine when it was new and have now put at least 30 to 50 shells thru it but shoot it more thoroughly as well and see if the problem continues.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:39 pm 
Field Grade

I had a problem with my 930 a while back, played with different springs to see if that solved the problem it didn't. I got out my dremel and 600,1200, and 2000 grit sand paper and a dowel and sanded down the insides of the mag and ext tubes and opened up my loading port and polished the follower along with grinding,sanding and polishing the lifter. It loads and unloads fine now.

NEF Pardner Protector
Mossberg 930 SPX
Mossberg 590A1 SPX
Glock 22 .40
Sig Sauer P250 .40
DPMS AR-15

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

When you say the gun works are we talking live fire or running around chambering and ejecting rds. The manual says to load to max capacity, chamber first then the mag tube. Are the rds. feeding from the mag tube when you pull the bolt back ejecting the rd. in the chamber. Does the next rd, feed so on and so on. After the last rd. in the mag is chambered and the bolt pulled back does the bolt stay back ? Yes you can load just the mag tube with the bolt closed on an empty chamber, when you pull the bolt back a rd. should feed from the mag tube onto the lifter when you release the bolt the rd. is chamber then you can top off the mag tube if you want. The button on the side is the bolt release . Do not use it to feed rds. from the mag tube. It will do just what you describe. Yes I know you can use it to unload the mag tube BUT its main job is to release the bolt.Try this saftey on, bolt closed on an empty chamber, load mag tube, pull bolt back, and see if a rd. is fed from the mag tube and into the chambers. DO NOT touch the bolt release. If no rd. is fed there are lots of post about this problem on this website. My SPX is an early model at last count I have over 14,000 rds. through mine. When we are allowed to start a stage with a full gun ,I always load one through the ejection port, close bolt ,load mag tube to capacity. I don.t touch the bolt release again unless I shoot he gun dry and have to reload from bolt lock or the stage is over and I unload and show clear.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:41 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you LWM. Sometimes I can feed a shell just as you described directly from the magazine tube. Other times when I pull back the bolt to chamber a shell the bolt locks back and I use the bolt release button. It is a real problem keeping the bolt from locking when trying to chamber a shell from the magazine. Is this normal or should I need to have the factory adjust the feed system on my gun?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

The gun should feed a rd. from the mag tube when the bolt is pulled back . The gun has no way of knowing if there is a rd. in the chamber or not. Also the gun doesn't know if it is you pulling the bolt to the rear or the gas system doing it when you fire a rd. You may have a problem with the shell stop. Try brand new rds. right out of a new box. Fill the mag tube (7) Don't forget all the saftey stuff here. Pull bolt to the rear a rd should feed from the mag tube before the bolt gets all the way to the rear. Release bolt to chamber the rd. Pull the bolt to the rear the chambered rd. should be ejected and a new rd. fed onto the lifter. let bolt go to chamber rd. etc. When the last rd. is ejected the bolt should lock to the rear. This is the way it should work. Hold one , let me go try my SPX Yes ! Load mag ,cycle rds. bolt locks back after the 7th rd. A couple of thing to check. If you are using an aftermarket spring it may be to long and is putting to much pressure on the first rd. in the mag and it will not release. There are lots of post about this problem from when the gun first came out. Usually after a few rds are out of the mag then it feeds ok. I think even the factory spring were giving some trouble at first. Next check the shell stop. There is a post on Mossberg Owner website in the 930 section on the shell stop. It's a video from the Brownell website shows how to take it out and polish the end. I am not 100 % sure on the website it may be on Brian Enos Fourm in the shotgun technical section. The shell stop assembly is held by a small clip . The video suggest putting a piece ot tape over the slot when you move it back Very good advice. Yes I have polished mine , also the inside of the mag tube and anything else that can be polished to make the gun smoother. All the tricks you can do to other guns you can do to the 930. I am running a follower for a 590 in mine it is more rounded than the stock However the stock follower never caused any trouble in my gun. I am using the stock Choate extension I have had no trouble with it. Most shooters are using the Nordic Componets ones now. This is the extensions used on the JM PRO Models The 3 gun guys are beginning to use the 930's There are lots of videos about the 930. When the gun is fed good quality ammo,kept cleaned it will hold its own at any match.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:36 pm 
Field Grade

LWM: I loaded the gun as you suggested using dummy shells. 1st. I pulled back the bolt and let it go forward on an empty chamber and placed the safety to on. 2nd. I loaded the magazine tube with four dummy shells of the exact size and weight as comparable live shells. 3rd. I pulled back the bolt and fed a shell into the chamber, ejected it, and did the same again for the other three shells.

The worked well for 4 times but the fifth time the shell would not feed and was still locked in the magazine tube. I cleared the gun and tried the exact same routine again and again about the fourth or fifth time the round would fail to load onto the lifter from the magazine tube and was firmly held by the shell stop.

I did notice that care must taken to seat each shell in the magazine tube carefully and that the shell stop firmly held it or else the shell would double feed or eject out the bottom.

The real cause though is the shell is not being release by the shell holder for whatever reason.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

Look at the rims of the rds. that did not feed from the mag tube. Are they messed up from being slammed into the chamber by the bolt? The rds. that did not feed were they the same rds. each time ? There is an early post on this site with a picture of this problem. A ??? have you shot the gun ? If so how did the gun work when you were shooting live ammo? There is a big difference between hand cycling rds. and firing real rds. I have seen some post from shooters that have had trouble hand cycling rds. but when they shoot live ammo the gun runs fine. The gun is designed to shoot a rd. feed a new rd. shoot that rd. etc. It isn't going to do well if you keep putting rds. back in it that have been slammed into the chamber messing up the rim and fed back through again and again. I am thinking it is time to hit the range with some good quality ammo and shoot the crap out of that SPX .You are not going to hurt the gun. I have shot mine alot ( not as much as I would like ) it only gets smoother the more ammo you put through her. Your observation on the shell stop is what I found out on mine when I first got mine. However the shell stop has a very noticable sound when the rim of the rd. goes past it. At a match I listen for that click when I load the mag tube. OK now no more fooling around get to the range, put 150 to 200 rds. through her and report back.