CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Baikal IZH-17 20 gauge info
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:47 am 
Utility Grade

I have an old Baikal single shot in 20 gauge. I don't really have any info about the shells I can (safely) run through it though. For example, will it accept 3" shells, or only 2 3/4? What about the choke - could I run slugs through it?

Post subject: Re: Baikal IZH-17 20 gauge info
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:40 am 
Presentation Grade

Izh 17 is an earlier version of the current MP18, only it's a hammergun. They were made before 1974, but are tough enough for modern lead ammo. Including slugs, provided they are designed for smooth choke-bored barrels. The chambers of the guns sold on domestic market was 70 mm (2 3/4") only, and I don't think there was any special longer chambered export version (btw where are you? US?). As for chokes, the gun could have IC, Modified, or Full, most likely Full (0.8 mm of constriction). If you post pics of the markings on the barrel flats, I might be able to tell the choke, but often they were unmarked. This is an honest stout gun, and can serve years of use and abuse.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:40 pm 
Utility Grade

(Images deleted)

I appreciate the info you have given so far. I am surprised by the lack of details on the internet about this gun.

A friend of my family gave the shotgun to me; he does not hunt any more, and thought it might as well be used.

It is quite rough cosmetically. The bluing is worn off, and there are some superficial rust spots on the metal. I am considering having a gunsmith re-blue it. The smith I contacted was hesitant to do a lot of work, as apparently the old Baikal break action guns are pretty cheap and plentiful here (Canada), but I am of another mind. The gun was a gift, that I am not going to sell. And I love the look of a good bluing job.

Mechanically, there is nothing wrong with it at all. I will admit that the first round I put through it (#7 target load) was a little nerve racking. It says "Made in USSR" on the side of the receiver, and my concern was that some old soviet worker made this and the quality may not be there. My fears were unsubstantiated though. It is a wonderful piece of machinery, and I look forward to going hunting with it.

Last edited by uberkermit on Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

To my knowledge, these guns were not officially exported, at least to the USA, explainign the lack of info (there are tons of data in Russian, however). Canada is a different story however, more earlier Soviet guns surface there; could have been brought by immigrants though. As for quality, it fits the Golden Age of Soviet gunmaking - roughly from 1954 to 1976, when the arsenals came up with guns of astoishing quality for the price (the price was expense rather than market based, which might be the answer). Enjoy it.