CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 12 Gauge #4 Buckshot recipe
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:00 pm 
Limited Edition

I need to break down and buy one of those Coyote buckshot books from Ballistic products, but until I do, I'm hoping someone can help. I bought a 5 lb. box of #4 buckshot, 1 pound of Herco, I have NS209 primers. All I need is a wad, but all I have are 7/8 and 1 oz WAA12SL and WAA12L's. I hate to buy a bag of wads for a couple of boxes of buckshot loads. Can I cut the petals off or something like that? Or use a lower count of shot?

Thanks
KS

Post subject: Re: 12 Gauge #4 Buckshot recipe
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:22 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Ksprayberry wrote:
I need to break down and buy one of those Coyote buckshot books from Ballistic products, but until I do, I'm hoping someone can help. I bought a 5 lb. box of #4 buckshot, 1 pound of Herco, I have NS209 primers. All I need is a wad, but all I have are 7/8 and 1 oz WAA12SL and WAA12L's. I hate to buy a bag of wads for a couple of boxes of buckshot loads. Can I cut the petals off or something like that? Or use a lower count of shot?

Thanks KS

Buy or borrow a Lymans Shotshell Handbook. They list all sorts of buckshot loads in their buckshot section.

FOLLOW their instrictions. Do Not get creative. You might not like the result of "creative reloading".

DLM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:06 pm 
Limited Edition

Ksprayberry,

+1 on DLMs recommendation about not getting "creative" with reloading.

I did look up a couple of buckshot loads in my Lyman #4 shotshell manual that may help you.

Using Herco powder, with a Winchester 209 primer (which you can use your NS primers as a substitute for) in a Winchester compression formed hull, the wad called for is WAA12R. I happen to have a couple thousand of this wad that I'll probably never use, if you want a small quantity, you're welcome to them. Just drop me a PM. I'll also send you the complete recipe from the Lyman book, if you have that hull available.

The same manual lists a load with Herco powder in a Remington hull with the WAA12R wad, plus a 1/4" 20ga felt wad (which I think I have as well), but with a Rem 209P primer. I don't know if you can use your NS209s in that recipe. Maybe someone else can advise on that primer swap.

BTW, both theses loads are listed at 10K+ pressure.

Hope this helps.

Papershotshells

PROUD NRA member (if you're not a member WHY?) Wish List: Lyman easy shotshell loader 6 point crimp starter and BUSHINGS, roll crimper 12ga. Card & filler wads 16ga. If you have any of these things, PM me, I'll trade you or buy them from you.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:13 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks for the help. I have the manual, just seeing if I could make a substitution on the wad since I didn't have any of the WAA12 or WAA12R. I hated to by a full bag of them and pay the shipping on all of them when I might only use 75 or so.
I definitely don't want to "go off the reservation" with any recipe and blow myself up. I had seen a post or two about cutting petals off and thought that was a possibility.
Papershotshell, I may take you up on the offer and see what we can do and maybe return the favor.
Thanks for the help.

KS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:34 pm 
Limited Edition

KS,

PM me your address and I'll send you a hundred or so WAA12Rs. I'll never use all I have and they're just taking up space in my reloading room. I can also send you some WAA12s (duster clone) if you want to try those too.

Papershotshells

PROUD NRA member (if you're not a member WHY?) Wish List: Lyman easy shotshell loader 6 point crimp starter and BUSHINGS, roll crimper 12ga. Card & filler wads 16ga. If you have any of these things, PM me, I'll trade you or buy them from you.