CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta 682 or 692 ?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:36 pm 
Field Grade

Hi everyone, I started shooting trap last January and since I am enjoying the sport so much I decided to purchase a new gun. Currently I shoot a Marocchi and I can say its a fairly good gun for the price however recently I had the chance to try a Beretta 682 X-Trap
and really fell in love with this gun, its pointability, low recoil and the view over that
high rib was simply amazing. I know that the Beretta 692 which will eventually replace the 682 will be available in Malta during Feb / Mar 2013 and I cannot decide if I should go for the tried and tested 682 Or if I should wait till March to see the 692.# :?

Any opinions and advises please.

Thanks in advance,

Zero 3

Post subject: Re: Beretta 682 or 692 ?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For me, tried and true works well for shotguns.

Regards,
Dave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

Shootzum wrote:
For me, tried and true works well for shotguns.

Regards,
Dave

+1. Beretta's track record of late with new models doesn't inspire confidence (686/7/2 is far better design than the SV10). Hopefully Beretta learns from this latest excursion, and the 692 is an actual improvement (though it would be pretty hard to improve upon the 68_ action).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:22 am 
Limited Edition

Why take the chance or wait ............... like a I said in one of the other threads. I can't wait until the 692 comes out so I can scarf up all the 682 bargains that will become available!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:38 am 
Crown Grade

"(686/7/2 is far better design than the SV10)"

Based on what? I met a guy with a Prevail that he prefers to his Perazzis. The SV10 is smooth to operate, too.

I have a pretty full set of 680-series guns, including field guns in all three frame sizes, and a 682 as well. I don't have an SV10, or plans to get one. I think the feature that allows you to switch to extractors is just plain stupid, and while I like the Q Stock in principle, I am not sure about it's strength vs. the old straight bolt (and the QD butttpads I have on my Berettas allow quick removal also -- bummer that Beretta discontinued those pads).

However, I don't know that there's any concrete reason to say that the 680 series is a "far better design", either.

"I can't wait until the 692 comes out so I can scarf up all the 682 bargains that will become available!"

I agree with this, though. :) That is, IF those bargains become available. The Sporting Clays range where I shoot most is dominated by 682s and K80s. I don't know anyone who is going to sell a 682 to get the new gun; people are having new custom wood put on 682s as we speak. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:26 am 
Limited Edition

BarryD wrote:
I don't know anyone who is going to sell a 682 to get the new gun; people are having new custom wood put on 682s as we speak. :)

Oh, I'm confident there will be some who rid themselves of their 682 to make room for a 692 although maybe not in the numbers I dream of ............. :D

............. and yes I just brought one of my 682's from the stock maker with new wood and adjustable comb Friday!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:39 am 
Crown Grade

GF1 wrote:
(686/7/2 is far better design than the SV10).

As the owner of a 686 an 687 and a Prevail, all 12g sporters, I can assure you the reverse is true. Nothing wrong with the 68Xs, but the SV10 is just better in all the important areas. That's why the 692 is based around the SV10 action and not the 68X. That's also why the Prevail is now the only one I take out of the cabinet.

As for the OP's question, the high rib X Trap 692 is much further off than March. Mid year at the earliest.

Robert Browning

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:02 pm 
Crown Grade

Trickster, what SV features does the 692 have?

It clearly has SV-like shoulders, but it looks to have a straight stock bolt like the 680 series. Does it fit a 682 stock? Does it have a drop-out trigger group like the SV? What about the asinine extractor switch?

To me, it seems like the SV was a beta test, and some features were retained, while others were dumped in favor of the older design.

A question I have: if the rounded shoulders are superior, why does the DT11 still have the trapezoid design that's been proven for so long?

At some point, I'm going to get another Sporting gun, I'm sure. And these are all things I've wondered about. Do you have more info? The SV has been pretty rare in the US, and I wonder if there are more on the other side of the pond.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:58 pm 
Crown Grade

BarryD wrote:
Trickster, what SV features does the 692 have?

It clearly has SV-like shoulders, but it looks to have a straight stock bolt like the 680 series. Does it fit a 682 stock? Does it have a drop-out trigger group like the SV? What about the asinine extractor switch?

It's impossible to be certain until they appear but from pics the 692 does have the small gizmo screw that switches the ejectors on/off. The Q-Stock & drop out trigger have already disappeared with the outgoing SV10 Model III - hopefuly for ever. All current SV10s have a normal stock bolt and I'd assume the 692 w/o the balancer option most likely does too. Since the 692 ejectors are the same and the frame is wider, it's probably safe to assume that the action is lifted straight from the SV10 Model 1 which is a bit wider, has bigger trunnions with extra reinforcing, bigger locking lugs and longer, more powerful ejectors. The trigger group is similar but, on mine at least, the pulls are noticeably sweeter and more consistent than the 682s. Beretta is claiming a big improvement in handling due to better weight distribution for the 692, something I've been banging on about with the Prevail for almost a year. A greater proportion of the overall weight is concentrated between the hands because it has front light barrels, light-ish stock and a bigger heavier receiver.

This morning I was chatting to a fella waiting to shoot his 6 month old Optima barrelled SP1. He was amazed at how different my Prevail felt in the hands and asked to shoot it. He stepped into the cage and shot 9/10 with my gun. He commented that he'd never shot any gun that handled so smoothly and that it was "miles better" than any other Beretta 68X series he'd ever shot - and he owns 3...

Robert Browning

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:26 pm 
Crown Grade

What is the weight of your barrel set? My 32" 682 is marked 1350g, or in layman's terms, f---ing light. :) For comparison, my 686 SP I 28" 28 Gauge field gun is rated 1180g.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:16 pm 
Field Grade

Hi guys, many thanks for sharing your views and opinions. When I was talking to the
guy at the gunshop, one thing that intrigued me was the fact that the 692 will have longer
forcing cones than those on the 682 which result in denser patterns and better pallet distribution. Having said that I still have mixed feelings cause I strongly believe that the 682 is a great gun.

Zero 3

P.S. When I said mid March I was referrring to the low rib models. The X-Trap
will be available later throughout the year

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:58 pm 
Crown Grade

"which result in denser patterns and better pallet distribution"

That is not a good reason. Have you patterned a 682? There is nothing wrong with the patterns throws, and I see little or no room for improvement on the pattern board.

Buy a 692 for the bigger studs, balance system, or how you like the way it feels. The forcing cone thing is 99% bullshit (American slang for a story with little connection to the truth :) ).

Unlike some people, I do believe that long forcing cones do change the recoil pulse a bit, and can result in slightly reduced felt recoil compared with cones designed for vegetable wads. I have done a before and after test on a light field gun with old-fashioned cones, which we reamed out. It felt different, by a bit. However, the 682 Gold E has Optima bores to start with. It is not an old vegetable wad gun.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:03 pm 
Crown Grade

Well, paper comes from trees, but I never knew felt came from vegetables????

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:08 pm 
Crown Grade

That's what they're called. Not my fault. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:53 am 
Crown Grade

BarryD wrote:
What is the weight of your barrel set? My 32" 682 is marked 1350g, or in layman's terms, f---ing light. :) For comparison, my 686 SP I 28" 28 Gauge field gun is rated 1180g.

Actual barrel weight is little more than a rough guide except when comparing 2 otherwise identical guns. And it's even less meaningful unless the weights of chokes and forend are included.

These are from my 32" SV10 and weighed on calibrated digital scales. (The barrels are stamped 1570gm) Bear in mind that the monobloc is heavier than a 68X because it's both wider and longer - as are the ejectors.

Barrels without chokes: 1524gm.
With 2 x Mod chokes: 1592gm.
Forend: 201gm.

As for the 692, Beretta is being very cagey about giving any real detail. It's all shrouded in the kind of marketingspeak where you can glean more from what they don't say than what they do. If it were an upgraded 682 they'd say so; as they would if it were a fresh design.

Whilst there are some new toys like the B-Fast kit, the basic mechanical unit, at least from the pics I've seen, has the same ejectors & forend as the SV10s which means it's almost bound to have the same barrel fitment & trunnions and therefore the same locking lugs.

What are the odds that the 692's innards are the same as the SV10 Model I? (which already has the fixed trigger group and conventional stock bolt)

Robert Browning

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:49 am 
Diamond Grade

So is Beretta starting to discount 682s?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

seb7515 wrote:
So is Beretta starting to discount 682s?

Not that I have seen. Good luck even finding a new 682. I wouldn't be surprised to see prices on 682s hold steady for a while.

I am debating selling my 682 Gold E unsingle combo, so I called around a bit yesterday to see what they were selling for. Hi Grade just sold their last one for $4700 (according to the person I spoke with) which is on par (if not slightly higher than) with what they were going for a year or so ago. JE has none left - hasn't for a while. Similar story with the other places I called (local shops, ranges, etc.).

In a similar vein, I have noticed that DT10 prices have actually gone up since the DT11 has come out. Also seems people are holding onto them. Hell, I bought another one.

I also got some pricing on the new DT11s. MSRP on the hi rib single bbs is $9,320 and $13,450 for the combo. On top of that, the pricing on the sporters went up 11%.

The 682s are looking like a bargain right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:50 am 
Tournament Grade

Trickster wrote:
GF1 wrote:
(686/7/2 is far better design than the SV10).

As the owner of a 686 an 687 and a Prevail, all 12g sporters, I can assure you the reverse is true. Nothing wrong with the 68Xs, but the SV10 is just better in all the important areas. That's why the 692 is based around the SV10 action and not the 68X. That's also why the Prevail is now the only one I take out of the cabinet.

As for the OP's question, the high rib X Trap 692 is much further off than March. Mid year at the earliest.

And I can assure you that the SV10 is NOT a step up in all areas, especially the most important ones such as the stock attachment bolt (much more frequently loosening), and the absolutely inferior fore end design.

I say this as an employee and frequent volunteer at a very large clays shooting center at which we rent Beretta shotguns, including the SV10 and various of the 68_ series (including several 682s). The fore ends on all the rental SV10s all rattle (screws attaching wood to metal are tight), and we are much more frequently tightening the buttstocks of the SV10s. These are guns that see much more use than one would expect from a personal gun, even one shot frequently and in long stretches. The guns point just fine, shoot well, and the firing mechanisms have been flawless. However, the stock bolt scheme through the pistol grip is mechanically flawed, IMO, as the classic through bolt in the buttstock employed by the 682 et al (not just Berettas) is far superior.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:00 pm 
Crown Grade

GF1 wrote:

And I can assure you that the SV10 is NOT a step up in all areas, especially the most important ones such as the stock attachment bolt (much more frequently loosening), and the absolutely inferior fore end design.

Neither I nor any of the 3 SV10 owners I see regularly have had any concerns with forends. I like the light alloy construction and find the auto tensioner to be much better at controlling vibration in the gun than the 68X ones. It does need to be properly lubed though. I don't know which type comes with the 692.

My SV10 doesn't have the Q-Stock and drop trigger and I wouldn't want them, particularly on a sporter. The SV10 III series has now been dropped and with it the silly stock/trigger arrangement. The current models have conventional stock bolts and all the better for it.

Robert Browning

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:11 am 
Crown Grade

I have a 687 , 682 , Sv10 and a DT10. I can tell you that the Sv10 is better in felt recoil than the 680's gun. It also feel lighter and better balance in your hand because the weight in the mono block.
I think that the new 692 will be a nice gun and will have the improvement that they did in the DT11.
I do want to shoot the 692 when it comes out.