CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Benelli M4 questions about shooting slugs and chokes
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:13 am 
Utility Grade

Hello everyone. Just want to say that I am new here, and also a new shotgun owner. So that being said know that I am somewhat ignorant when it comes to shotgun knowledge and I am slowly learning the in and out of shotguns.

So i just got a Benelli M4 12 Ga. for Christmas ( complements of my awesome wife) which I really don't think she knew what she was getting me but I'm glad she got it. But after reading the whole instruction book and user guide from front to back i have a question about it.

Can i shoot a slug through it since it has a choke tube? I feel stupid asking this but i really don't want to ruin a 1600$ brand new gun. It comes standard with a modified choke tube in it already from the factory. The reason i ask is because i bought my nephew a Tristar over under 12Ga and his instruction book /user guide says not to shoot a slug through a choked gun? Granted these are 2 completely different brands and the quality is also completely different. I would have thought that a 1600$ gun would specify this when a 350$ gun does. Please help me understand the different choke set ups and if it is safe to shoot a slug through it.

Post subject: Re: Benelli M4 questions about shooting slugs and chokes
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:46 am 
Tournament Grade

jeffro77 wrote:
Hello everyone. Just want to say that I am new here, and also a new shotgun owner. So that being said know that I am somewhat ignorant when it comes to shotgun knowledge and I am slowly learning the in and out of shotguns.

So i just got a Benelli M4 12 Ga. for Christmas ( complements of my awesome wife) which I really don't think she knew what she was getting me but I'm glad she got it. But after reading the whole instruction book and user guide from front to back i have a question about it.

Can i shoot a slug through it since it has a choke tube? I feel stupid asking this but i really don't want to ruin a 1600$ brand new gun. It comes standard with a modified choke tube in it already from the factory. The reason i ask is because i bought my nephew a Tristar over under 12Ga and his instruction book /user guide says not to shoot a slug through a choked gun? Granted these are 2 completely different brands and the quality is also completely different. I would have thought that a 1600$ gun would specify this when a 350$ gun does. Please help me understand the different choke set ups and if it is safe to shoot a slug through it.

Did your M4 come with any other chokes? I bought a M2 Tactical last month and it came with three chokes. I use my Improved Cylinder choke with Foster Slugs. But if you only received a modified choke from the factory then I would think modified would be ok. Only use foster slugs they have groves on the slug Sabot slugs are for rifled barrels.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:52 pm 
Utility Grade

no unfortunately it did not come with any other chokes. Now the barrel is not rifled does it matter if i shoot a rifled slug out of it or do they make a non rifled slug that would be better since the barrel is not rifled?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:37 am 
Tournament Grade

jeffro77 wrote:
no unfortunately it did not come with any other chokes. Now the barrel is not rifled does it matter if i shoot a rifled slug out of it or do they make a non rifled slug that would be better since the barrel is not rifled?

The rifling is what makes the slug fly true. You want the rifled slugs, as I said the slugs with the grooves are called Foster slugs and they are for non rifled barrels. Sabot slugs have no grooves and they are for barrels with rifling. Since you do not have a barrel with rifling you want slugs with grooves. I use Winchester or Remington Rifled slugs.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:38 pm 
Utility Grade

It won't harm the gun to shoot slugs either foster or sabot. However sabot are expensive and out of a non rifled barrel they WILL NOT fly true.

But to your question of harming the gun, no it won't.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:14 pm 
Utility Grade

The rifling on a Foster slug isn't there to impart spin on a slug, it is there to allow easy displacement of material when squeezing through a choke. A Foster or Brenneke slug flies with little to no spin - drag is what keeps it flying true (similar to a badminton birdie). I wouldn't shoot a sabot slug through anything other than cylinder bore, rifled choke, or preferably, a rifled barrel...the former seeing absolutely no benefits from a sabot.

I short, your M4 will shoot traditional slugs just fine with the original Modified choke. I put over 200 through mine today with no problems. Just be sure to try out a type of slug before buying in bulk...I have found the M4 to be very picky when cycling slugs. Never had a failure with shot of any type, but lower powered, or even some medium powered slugs don't cycle consistently. If in doubt, Brenneke KO or Special Forces are excellent in the M4.

I have heard old timers say not to shoot slugs through anything tighter than Improved Modified, but I am not sure how much truth that holds.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:35 pm 
Utility Grade

I've put at least 500 slugs through my M4 with the factory choke tube, it will be fine.

Sorry to hear about the issues the M4 was haveing in the above post. After several hundred rounds of slug and buckshot through mine, I tried some cheap wally world bulk pack birdshot, it cycles as well as the heavy stuff does.

Kevin
Arizona

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:16 am 
Utility Grade

I have one of the original military/law enforcement model 11721 M4's and it has cycled everything I put through it. Mine shoots the Federal L.E. "low recoil" slugs very accurately. Great guns.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:51 am 
Field Grade

An excellent choke for the M4 is the Wad Wizard Swat 12. It is a wad retarding choke and with 00 Buck you can extend your "SAFE" pattern(all pellets staying on a man sized target) from 15-20 yds to 25-35yds depending on the load and you can use slugs as well.