CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Browning A5 issue
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:35 pm 
Utility Grade

First off, hey everyone new to the forum. Got a new browning A5 about 2 months ago. Started out working perfectly but now it wants to Jam with 3" steel loads only. Been shot less than 200 times. It jams like its trying to load the next shell before the shot shell has had a chance to be thrown out. 2/3 4" low brass and 3" buckshot work perfect. Coming from a SBE II that's never had a malfunction in 6 yrs I don't like jams!. Any ideas? To much lube, not enough? Not broken in yet? Any help appreciated!

Post subject: Re: New Browning A5 issue
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

Above and beyond any potential cleaning/lube issues would possibly be the hulls swelling enough to make them difficult to extract. I'd remove the barrel and take one or more of the empties that jammed and see if they will or will not slide into the chamber easily. If they don't insert and remove with minimal effort you might have a bad batch of ammo or a cheaper brand with less than optimum hulls.

If this isn't the problem you might double check the initial cleaning to make sure all of the factory shipping lube has been removed then use a proper amount of good lubricant on the slides & bolt assembly. The factory stuff is very viscous and gooey making it difficult for the gun to cycle. Mine came with very little and is easily removed then reassemble with the proper amount of good lubricant (I use a small dab of Tetra Gun Grease on my bolt/slides with zero problems). They don't have to be run very wet but some lube is always a good thing to make 'em run smoothly and without hiccups.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

What brand of ammo are you using? That was my initial thought.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:03 pm 
Utility Grade

Winchester xpert, winchester drylok, and kent fast steel have all jammed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

So ammo is probably not the issue. Did it function with these loads at one time then something seemed to change? I'm not trying to ask stupid questions, just trying to wrap my mind around what might be going on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:59 pm 
Utility Grade

It functions fine probably 75% of the time. Perfect with low brass or buckshot. I don't get it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

Weird... Might we worth a call to Browning. Please keep us posted. I have two of the new A5 and will be watching for any similar issue. So far mine have been flawless. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:36 am 
Presentation Grade

May not be the problem, but make sure that your gun mount is firm. You're shooting steel, so I imagine you are waterfowling and wearing multiple layers of clothes, which can cause poor gun mount and/or soft gun mount.

Have you tried shooting it while not hunting? Just a thought that sometimes gets missed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:28 pm 
Field Grade

Jwrong83 wrote:
I've had the exact same issue. Crazy, crazy.

In my gun, the only ammunition that has failed to eject has been Kent's Fasteel. Everything else has been fine ... so far. I would say in a box of 25 shells, 3 would fail to eject. Along with numerous other loads, I've shot three boxes of Kent's FS, and each box had the same 3 or 4 that would FTE.

There is also a lot of chipping around the edge of the receiver where the shell ejects. Not a big deal, just annoying. It's a new gun and it's all chipped up from the shells being ejected.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:32 am 
Utility Grade

I've tried shooting it in the yard, again perfect with low brass. 3" steel shot jams 25% of the time. Picked up some Rio Blue Steel which also jammed. COULD this be the gun just needs more shooting? Or should I send it back? I'm about ready to get a refund. Also having the same chipping issue around the ejection port.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:02 am 
Utility Grade

Simon Leopold wrote:
Jwrong83 wrote:
I've had the exact same issue. Crazy, crazy.

In my gun, the only ammunition that has failed to eject has been Kent's Fasteel. Everything else has been fine ... so far. I would say in a box of 25 shells, 3 would fail to eject. Along with numerous other loads, I've shot three boxes of Kent's FS, and each box had the same 3 or 4 that would FTE.

There is also a lot of chipping around the edge of the receiver where the shell ejects. Not a big deal, just annoying. It's a new gun and it's all chipped up from the shells being ejected.

What steel load are you shooting that's ejecting properly?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:14 pm 
Field Grade

Jwrong83 wrote:
Simon Leopold wrote:
1. Kent Tungsten Matrix, 3" 1350fps 1-1/2 oz. #3
2. Winchester Super X, 3" 1550fps 1-1/8 oz. #4
3. Winchester Super X, 3" 1400fps 1-1/4 oz. #4
4. Federal Black Cloud, 3" 1450fps 1-1/4 oz. #3
5. Remington HyperSonic, 3" 1700fps 1-1/8 oz. #4

I think this is everything I've used so far with the exception of Kent Fasteel, 3" 1425fps 1-1/4 oz. #1 and #2.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:17 pm 
Field Grade

Jwrong83 wrote:
Also having the same chipping issue around the ejection port.
Not sure why this is happening to both of our guns. My chipping isn't severe by any means. It's just annoying. It doesn't do anything to the function of the gun; it just doesn't look as good anymore. I'm not sure what Browning would or could do about it. I'm not entirely displeased, just a little perturbed.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:22 pm 
Utility Grade

Simon Leopold wrote:
Jwrong83 wrote:
Simon Leopold wrote:
1. Kent Tungsten Matrix, 3" 1350fps 1-1/2 oz. #3
2. Winchester Super X, 3" 1550fps 1-1/8 oz. #4
3. Winchester Super X, 3" 1400fps 1-1/4 oz. #4
4. Federal Black Cloud, 3" 1450fps 1-1/4 oz. #3
5. Remington HyperSonic, 3" 1700fps 1-1/8 oz. #4

I think this is everything I've used so far with the exception of Kent Fasteel, 3" 1425fps 1-1/4 oz. #1 and #2.

Well let me ask you this, when you manually eject a shell from the chamber by hand does the shell fly out or just kind of fall out? My gun the shell just barely comes out unless a shell is on the shell carrier and then if I manually eject the shell it will fly across the yard.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:28 pm 
Field Grade

Jwrong83 wrote:
Well let me ask you this, when you manually eject a shell from the chamber by hand does the shell fly out or just kind of fall out? My gun the shell just barely comes out unless a shell is on the shell carrier and then if I manually eject the shell it will fly across the yard.
Yes and yes. When a shell is sitting in the chamber (without a shell in the magazine or on the carrier), if I manually eject that chambered shell, it somewhat falls out. I wouldn't say it just falls, but it doesn't eject with incredible force either. When there is a shell in the chamber (with a shell in the magazine or on the carrier), if I manually eject that chambered shell, then that shell is ejected with much more force. Why? I haven't the slightest clue! Does it bother me? No. If it did, I would have a gunsmith look at it.

I don't mean to offend. Heaven knows that's not the case. But if you have a lemon, get it fixed. If you don't have a lemon, then tweak it a little to your liking . . . and then be happy.

Last edited by Simon Leopold on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:22 am 
Utility Grade

Simon Leopold wrote:
But to answer your question: Yes and yes. When a shell is sitting in the chamber (without a shell in the magazine or on the carrier), if I manually eject that chambered shell, it somewhat falls out. I wouldn't say it just falls, but it doesn't eject with incredible force either. When there is a shell in the chamber (with a shell in the magazine or on the carrier), if I manually eject that chambered shell, then that shell is ejected with much more force. Why? I haven't the slightest clue! Does it bother me? No. If it did, I would have a gunsmith look at it.

So I tested mine out and it does the same thing. I'm going to guess it has something to do with the fact that the action stays open after you fire your last round and that is why you see a difference.

Saying that, I've had no problems at all with my A5 with about 400 to 500 rounds through it so far.