CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Turkey Choke Tube Recommendations for 1187 SM
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:08 pm 
Field Grade

I just got a new Remington 11-87 3.5” super mag with a 23” turkey barrel that came with a Remington Turkey Super Full Choke tube. I don’t know the constriction of this tube and have not shot through it yet.

I’m looking for the best choke tube for turkey hunting for this set up. I have never shot the new hevi-shot type loads but may plan on switching to them this year. I typically shoot size #4 or #5 lead shot out of a 3.5” shell. If I do go to one of the new hevi-shot loads like Federal Heavyweight, Heavy-13, or Nitro I would consider size #6 or even #7 1/2 shot out of a 3.5" shell.

I’ve read about the following choke tube brands and have heard some good things about all of them:

Briley
Indian Creek
Pure Gold
Rhino
Comp-n-Choke
Jelly Head

What I can’t afford to do is buy a multiple tubes and try each out with different loads so I was hoping that I could get some good recommendations based on past experience here.

Maybe my current factory Remington tube will work just fine for what I’m looking for but I don’t know if it’s safe for hevi-shot or not…?

I understand the tighter constriction, the tighter the pattern should be. I don’t want the tightest pattern in the world because I get many close shot opportunities as well. But I’d like something that has a pattern larger than a grapefruit at 20 yards and also holds a good pattern at maybe 40-50 yards.

Any recommendations or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Post subject: Re: Turkey Choke Tube Recommendations for 1187 SM
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I really, really hate to be the one to tell you this, but turkey are not hard to kill. I don't get a charge out of it, but the two I did kill, I killed with a 2-3/4" shell with a 1-1/2 ounce buffered plated lead load and a - wait for it - fixed full choke barrel. Bang, flop, that was it. I paced one off and one was 43 yards, didn't check the other one.
Shoot what you have and see what you get, unless you are a compulsive spender on the latest and greatest sounding gizmo on the market. With any good heavy buffered #5 load you should be able to kill a turkey at 50 yards.
Now everyone with a super tight turkey choke with a killer name is going to tell you how great it is. And it may be, in their gun. Problem is, you don't know how it is going to do in your gun. If you can measure the bore in your gun (likely .727 to .729), and then get a choke that has .045" or so constriction, you should be fine. When you start going tighter with constriction, you may or may not tighten up the pattern with a certain shot size, and shot material may play a small factor too. The only way to know for sure is going to cost you money. If you do decide to get a tighter choke, I will also tell you that I think a lot of extended tubes are nice, but I don't think you need a bunch of vents or holes in it.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:20 am 
Presentation Grade

+1 Virginian. He speaks the truth.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:29 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Next question... I have a bunch of regular and steel choke tubes for my 870 express mag. Can I use these in the barrels for my 1187 super mag? They seem to fit just fine. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:56 am 
Limited Edition

Try some 3 inch mag Hevi-13 2oz #6 shot thru any of the tubes mentioned and you should be happy...I've killed many turkeys and spent a small fortune on shells and chokes shooting at paper until I tried these shells and they really do make a difference for my guns. Every tube will not pattern the same, but the shells do make a positive difference.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:26 pm 
Limited Edition

But then again I hunt a lot of open fields where longer shots may be necessary.. I'd say 75% of the turkeys I've killed could have been taken using a plain old full choke and a 2 3/4 load of heavy 6s, or even a modified...but the other 25% would have either been missed or wounded if I'd tried the shots. Just about any shot/ choke combo is good to 35 yards, but that's where the difference starts to show up. If you'll pattern a full choke on paper at 45 yds and then try the extra full with the Hevi 13 shell you will definitely see a huge difference.