CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta vs Benelli
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:57 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello all. I am new to the site.

I have looked through a good bit of the threads and didn't see one like this so started a new one...

I am needing to purchase a new gun for waterfowling. I am a "spare no expense" kind of guy when it comes to my shotguns. (I, probably unwisely, cut corners elswhere at times to compensate :-) ).

I am a Beretta loyalist from childhood. (I am 50 now). My first exposure to Beretta was a 20 Ga, A302 my older brother got for Christmas and once I shot it, I probably used it more than he did. I later went and bought my own A302 in 12 Ga with a 26" barrel that fit me like a glove. I absolutely could not miss with it. My primary activity at that time was quail and squirell hunting. I later got exposed to waterfowl hunting and was wounding a lot of birds with the steel shot so went to find me a Beretta that would shoot 3" shells. I, regretably, traded my A302 for an A390 that didn't fit me as well, but after I adjusted to it have used it for about 20 years and it has served me well.

In the last few years, my son got into trap shooting and my A390 fit him well and, in short, he has taken it from me. I went back to shooting my old, old Browning 2000 for duck hunting, but it has become a "one-shot wonder" as it will not eject the shells properly, not to mention it kicks like a mule.

I have been to the sporting goods department at Gander Mt., and Academy and have shouldered a Beretta A400 Extreme Unica, a Benelli SBE II, a Beretta Extrema II and a Benelli Super Vinci. All of the guns shoulder nicely, with the Benelli's maybe having a slight advantage.

I may be getting a little sensitive to the kick so I am interested in hearing your opinons on recoil as well as reliability.

I am a little emotionally attached to the Berettas but don't want to make a mistake just because of that.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Clay

Post subject: Re: Beretta vs Benelli
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:33 am 
Limited Edition

Honestly speaking and you having an attachment to Beretta, would you really be happy with any Benelli over the Beretta A400?

I'm a Benelli guy, been shooting them for 22 years now and I just added a 20ga M2 to my arsenal. I also have a early model HK SBE and a Vinci. I seriously considered the Beretta A400 Action 20ga and the Franchi Affinity but in the end I knew I'd be happier with the M2 20 ga.

Do you need a 3.5" shotgun? If not then I would suggest the 3" Benelli Vinci over the Super Vinci or if you think deep in your heart you would prefer to stick to your brand, the A400 would be the ticket. They're all top end shotguns and you can't go wrong with either brand...also ,keep in mind that Benelli's parent company is Beretta.

Good luck and happy hunting.

“The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.” J. Cooper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:18 am 
Crown Grade

I've owned a few from both sides, and personally, I wouldn't trade my Benellis in for any other autoloader. Just way too easy to shoot and care for. But, that's me...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:15 am 
Utility Grade

hattles wrote:
Honestly speaking and you having an attachment to Beretta, would you really be happy with any Benelli over the Beretta A400?

I'm a Benelli guy, been shooting them for 22 years now and I just added a 20ga M2 to my arsenal. I also have a early model HK SBE and a Vinci. I seriously considered the Beretta A400 Action 20ga and the Franchi Affinity but in the end I knew I'd be happier with the M2 20 ga.

Do you need a 3.5" shotgun? If not then I would suggest the 3" Benelli Vinci over the Super Vinci or if you think deep in your heart you would prefer to stick to your brand, the A400 would be the ticket. They're all top end shotguns and you can't go wrong with either brand...also ,keep in mind that Benelli's parent company is Beretta.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Thanks for the input.

I love a fine shooting shotgun, so if the Benelli operates reliably and shoots nice I could enjoy it every bit as much as the Beretta. I guess all things considered the Benelli did seem to shoulder slightly better on me than the Beretta, so based on that I would lean toward it..

I don't know if I will shoot 3.5's all that often. I've never owned a gun that would shoot them. I guess my thinking is if I'm going to buy a new gun I want 3.5's as an option.

Is there a big difference between the Beretta with the new KO Max and the SBE II in terms of recoil?

I appreciate your thoughts. I am a person that gathers lots of data before making a big decision

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:49 am 
Crown Grade

I have both Beretta and Benelli and I like the Benelli better. It fits and feels better for me. Also the Benelli is a easyer gun to clean.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:21 am 
Crown Grade

These guns are all adjustable. Why did you choose to adjust to that 390 rather than adjusting it to you? Adjusting yourself to a gun that doesn't fit is a serious mistake, especially when it's not necessary.

Th difference between the Extreme and SBE is the difference between a gas-operated auto with an elaborate shock absorber suspension system plus a recoil pad, and a recoil-operated gun with an elaborate recoil pad. Shoot them both with heavy rounds before you decide. All else being equal, the gas gun with a suspension system should pound your shoulder a good deal less, but all else is not equal.

And, fit matters a lot, to felt recoil. I have a gun with a wooden buttplate, that I can use for clay targets, no problem, because it fits. Adjusting yourself to a gun, rather than fitting the gun to you, is a major reason a gun might feel harsh.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:03 am 
Diamond Grade

Benelli is easier to clean but has more felt recoil. Beretta has less felt recoil but is harder to clean.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:20 pm 
Crown Grade

seb7515 wrote:
Benelli is easier to clean but has more felt recoil. Beretta has less felt recoil but is harder to clean.

+1
If you are sensitive to recoil, you want the Beretta.
As far as cleaning, to me its a non-factor as I clean my Berettas about once a year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:26 pm 
Crown Grade

Yeah, I have three Beretta semis, and I clean them if they get soaked in a snowstorm, or maybe at the end of a hunting season when I take the gun down and store it until the next Fall. A drop of oil now and then, a wipe here or there, keeps them going indefinitely otherwise, for hunting purposes.

Obviously, if you have a Sporting Clays gun, you might clean it every 5 or 6 flats, or before a big shoot for the confidence factor of knowing you stripped and cleaned your gun, but I'd do that with a Benelli, too. :)

Modern gas guns aren't your grandpa's 1100.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:35 pm 
Crown Grade

I do have to say one good thing about Beretta. My 12g/28" 391 Urika was the softest shooting shotgun I ever had the pleasure of shooting. But, disassembly of the gas system was Rube Goldberg all the way...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:32 pm 
Utility Grade

BarryD wrote:
These guns are all adjustable. Why did you choose to adjust to that 390 rather than adjusting it to you? Adjusting yourself to a gun that doesn't fit is a serious mistake, especially when it's not necessary.
Th difference between the Extreme and SBE is the difference between a gas-operated auto with an elaborate shock absorber suspension system plus a recoil pad, and a recoil-operated gun with an elaborate recoil pad. Shoot them both with heavy rounds before you decide. All else being equal, the gas gun with a suspension system should pound your shoulder a good deal less, but all else is not equal.

And, fit matters a lot, to felt recoil. I have a gun with a wooden buttplate, that I can use for clay targets, no problem, because it fits. Adjusting yourself to a gun, rather than fitting the gun to you, is a major reason a gun might feel harsh.

I tried changing the shems. I'm not sure I ever got it to feel much different, really though. I was a little spoiled by my old A302 and that was what I was expecting everytime I tinkered with it and just couldn't ever achieve it. After screwing with it for weeks I went back to the dealer to buy my old A302 back, but he'd sold it. I haven't been able to find one since.

My gut tells me to buy the SBE just because it felt so good when i shouldered it. My fear remains about recoil when shooting 3.5's, though. I think I will take your advice about shooting heavy loads through them before purchasing.

Thanks again everyone!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Slugo, an A400 is redesigned to fix that, but still, my 391 has not received anything other than routine cleaning and Brakleen on the compensator valve/spring, and it's been 100% fine. Brakleen cleans the thing completely, with no disassembly. There's a time to RTFM, and there's a time to get more creative.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

I own both. I used a 303 Beretta for 15 years as my dedicated waterfowl gun and it performed very well. I still own it and my son has shot roughly 20000 registered sporting targets with it. I now shoot a Teknys 391 for clays, again with great reliability.

my current dedicated waterfowler is a Benelli SBE2. Love the gun and it has been flawless. something about the Benelli's that suits me very well. Out of the box, every one I have ever shouldered has felt like it was made for me. I have had a few occasions where i was in a clays slump with my Beretta gas guns and shot the Benelli in tournements and did pretty well. I have shot 3 1/2's thru mine on a few occasions but typically choose not to. I don't think that cartridge is pleasant to shoot thru anything. the 400 and SBE2 are both fairly light so they carry well.

I honestly don't think either choice is a bad one. prices are in the same realm and both are well made and typically very reliable.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:53 pm 
Utility Grade

I am unfamiliar with using brakleen. Can someone help me out? Is it used for only internal parts? The gas components?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

Sounds like you lean towards the Beretta's, so I'd consider that strongly before buying. Like others here, it's no secret I prefer Benelli's for autoloaders as well, I'll second the easy to clean, easy recoil, great looking guns, stone reliable. For me they are my favorite and fit perfect. Handling and pointing are so second nature it's hard to not like them. Good luck in your search, it's great fun finding just the one you want.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:42 pm 
Crown Grade

The Beretta A400 series is going to be more reliable when it comes to feeding the widest variety of shells. Well-designed gas guns are, because they use reliably-present gas pressure to operate a piston. Benellis rely on the motion of the gun under recoil -- ingenious, effective, and simple, but a bit more touchy.

Target shooters choose the Beretta, hands-down, by a large margin. But the Benelli offers remarkable simplicity for field use, and great field handling characteristics.

Bottom line? A modern $1500 shotgun will be reliable for the purpose it's meant to fulfill. If you like the Benelli's feel in your hands, I'd say, get it. There's nothing quite like a shotgun that just FEELS RIGHT. :)

Almost everything is subordinate to the FEELS RIGHT factor, as you learned long ago with that 302! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:08 am 
Utility Grade

I own a Beretta Xtrema II with KO and a Benelli Super Black Eagle II with comfortech That I waterfowl hunt with.As far as shooting the big 3.5 inch magnums the beretta is far better and you will feel considerable less recoil.I seaduck hunt on the atlantic ocean and we can shoot a few boxes a day of 3.5 inch at scoters and eiders.Sometimes we go 2 days in a row when the weather is good.I will not even think about shooting the big shells in the benelli when doing this much shooting.

I love my benelli and shoot it more than the Xtrema,but if shooting a good amount of 3.5 inch shells the berreta wins.That KO system does work well.When shooting lighter loads The benelli is fine,it is also a lighter gun which makes it easier to carry upland hunting.The benellis fit me perfect and I shoot better with them,you will feel it though when a 3.5 inch shell goes off.

Do you really need to shoot 3.5 inch shells,I only use them seaduck hunting because the birds are so hard to kill and easily get away when wounded.Also turkey but thats 1 shot,otherwise I do not see any use for them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am lucky in that I started with a 20-gauge Benelli M2. I later bought a pair of Beretta AL-390s on the recommendation of a friend. He is still my friend, but the Beretta's are long gone. They didn't fit me well and they didn't kick any less then the Benelli I had. When I sold the Berettas, I bought a Benelli Cordoba 12-gauge. This is the softest shooting, best fitting hunting gun I have ever owned.

If the Benelli fits you better, get the Benelli. It's nice that the older Berettas were good for you, but what's in the past is in the past. Move on and be happy with your decision.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:52 pm 
Utility Grade

Well, I bought the Beretta A400 extreme yesterday. I found one at Gander that felt "right". Every time I shouldered it, it was spot on.

I've had to work late yesterday and today, so I haven't been able to shoot it yet, but hopefully tomorrow will run a couple of boxes of light loads through it at the trap range. If so, I'll report back for those interested.

I appreciate all of the feedback. It made me do a lot of research. I feel like the Benelli is every bit as good a gun, but with my history with Beretta I couldn't resist when I found the one that was "me".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:12 pm 
Crown Grade

KJ's Dad wrote:
Well, I bought the Beretta A400 extreme yesterday. I found one at Gander that felt "right". Every time I shouldered it, it was spot on.

I've had to work late yesterday and today, so I haven't been able to shoot it yet, but hopefully tomorrow will run a couple of boxes of light loads through it at the trap range. If so, I'll report back for those interested.

I appreciate all of the feedback. It made me do a lot of research. I feel like the Benelli is every bit as good a gun, but with my history with Beretta I couldn't resist when I found the one that was "me".

Great choice! {hs#
The SBEs have tremendous recoil with 3 1/2" shells.