CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester Super-X Model 1 Skeet #M45784 (Date/Value/etc)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:42 am 
Field Grade

I've have a Winchester Super-X Model 1 (Serial #M45784) that I'd welcome any input on. Skeet Choke. It has a WIDE vent rib (like a broadway style). Factory scroll Engraving on side of the receiver, matte finish on top of receiver, offset proof mark on barrel and receiver. I didn't measure it, but I'd guestimate about 3/8"? Barrel looks like a 26".

I got this gun from a Grandparent who bought this gun new, and never shot it. Honestly, he bought it about 15 years past the prime of his shooting career and while he had good intentions of getting back into the sport, I think his health had already deteriorated and he had too many irons in the fire, so this gun just sat unused with the rest of his collection. I have an attachment to many of the guns that were in his collection and would not sell them, but this one has always just sat in the back of my safe. I'm thinning the heard and wanted to get some info on this one before putting it out there for sale.

Can anyone help me with the following:
1)Production Date? Serial # is M45784 (I know this is a little over half way through the production of these).
2)Is the wide rib, 26" barrel, and skeet choke the standard configuration for this gun? Is it safe to assume that since it's a skeet choke, that this is a skeet grade gun, or could this be a field grade?
3)Did they offer different grades of wood in the Skeet configuration gun? This wood definitely is an upgraded wood over what I've seen on any field grade gun. If so, how can you tell what the wood is? (obviously I can always post photos).
4)Last and most important, he had removed the butt plate or recoil pad at some point in time (possibly to fit the stock). Fortunately nothing was altered/cut, but I can't locate the plate/pad. Would this gun have come with a rigid butt plate or a rubber recoil pad? Would it be marked Winchester? I have boxes of parts from his old workbench with dozens of vintage rubber recoil pads (some red, black, etc) and some hard plastic (?) butt plates? Obviously I'd like to put the plate/pad back on the stock before I offered it for sale. Can you tell me what style/color I should be looking for, and if I can't locate it, where I could buy a period correct one.
5) Lastly, any idea on the current market value given the above info, for an unfired condition gun (minus the box). I do realize I'm a low post count and that what your average person would call unfired usually turns out looking like your granddad's truck gun. This is truly a 99% condition mint shotgun. I've collected everything from Vintage S&W Revolvers, Military Surplus Rifles, Vintage Rimfire Target Rifles, to classic shotguns. This particular model is just outside my realm of knowledge, but I am confident in the above description of the condition.

If there is any info I could provide to help you, please let me know. I've read several of the threads on the Super X Model 1's and know they have a pretty good following and have increased in value over the past decade. Hopefully I can get this into the hands of someone who will appreciate it, but I just wanted to gather a little info first. I'll be working to get some high res photos later this week. Feel free to PM or email me with any input, interest in the gun, etc.

Post subject: Re: Winchester Super-X Model 1 Skeet #M45784 (Date/Value/etc
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Skeet guns did come with nicer wood, and a wider forearm than the field grade guns. This is a desireable gun and I think in the condition that it is in, it would probably sell in the $800 range. They are still more of a shooter than a hard core collectable gun. I have a nice skeet gun similar to yours, but I shoot it, and shoot it well! Mark

Post subject: Re: Winchester Super-X Model 1 Skeet #M45784 (Date/Value/etc
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Good link for info. viewtopic.php?f=60&t=212209
Also Google SX-1 Skeet images.
Mark