CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Muzzle loader?????????
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A little off topic but who has a H&R Huntsman?

Post subject: Re: Muzzle loader?????????
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:42 pm 
Field Grade

I bought my Huntsman NIB in the summer of 2004 for $149 from a gun store in Plainfield, Indiana. I shot my first deer with it on opening day that fall with an inexpensive 4 x 9 40 shotgun scope mounted on self-installed, store-bought rails.
The hours of practice and sight-in on the range paid off for me that day in the Hoosier National Forest. That shot was a dream come true for me. At age 49, I had never been deer hunting. Getting my first kill on my first try with one shot a half hour after sunrise was indescribably delicious! And so was the venison. It was a 60 to 70-yard shot: double-lung/heart, just like my brother taught me. She was about a hundred pounds.
I love my Huntsman Muzzleloader. :D I mounted it over my dresser in our bedroom. With my Huntsman, at no additional cost, I also got my choice of a 26" 12 gauge shotgun barrel with a fixed modified choke, a .243 rifle, or a slug barrel.
I chose the 12 gauge shotgun barrel. which I use mostly for trap shooting. After burnishing the barrel and deburring the bead threads coming through the bore, this fine little gun throws a 69% efficiency pattern with Federal or Winchester Heavy Field loads. I think it's just right for most upland hunting. The kick is not too bad, either, as this version of the 12 gauge NEF has a good, thick recoil pad. One word of warning, though, I got ahold of box of 3-inch #6 turkey loads with 2 ounces of lead and nearly 4 drams of powder in them. That 12 gauge spun me around like a 300-pound top! The recoil is tolerable with 3 drams or less of powder, however. That's in the "heavy field load" vicinity.
Both barrels are great in by book. The muzzleloader barrel is accurate, getting 2-3" groups at 50 yards and 4-5" groups at 100 yards out of a novice like myself using "real" black powder (ffg). With the 12 gauge barrel, the gun weighs in at just a tick over 5 pounds. Because of my arthritis and other physical limitations, I like the light front end of the 12 gauge.
I would encourage you to find a Huntsman and start getting her ready for the next season. I wouldn't part with mine.

Post subject: re: Muzzle loader?????????
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:17 pm 
Field Grade

What some H&R owners may not know is that H&R invented the inline muzzle loader 20 years before any body else even was talking about it Back in 1973 they introduced the New Huntsman muzzle loader it was offerd in 45 cal and 58 cal rifle and one of the most useful muzzle loaders ever offered the 12 gauge muzzle loading Huntsman shotgun.I have owned one since 1976 and have bought 4 more latter These are 12 gauge 28 inch cyl bore barrel 90 grains ffg wads 1and a quarter once of no. 6 shot and a 209 primmer( converted all of mine to 209) orginally they used no 11 caps .Or 75 grains ffg and a 715 dia round ball . These guns have a serious amount of woopie are a litteral blast to shoot and one of the best black powder Hunters ever made.I use these guns more than any gun I own I have taken more game and deer than any gun I own . With 209 primming these guns are as reliable as any modern breech loader and like I said alot of fun.

Post subject: re: Muzzle loader?????????
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:46 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the history lesson. I wish I had one of those muzzle-loading shotgun barrels, but I make do with what I've got. I make my own 12 gauge black powder shells for my outfit. I don't shoot many of them; just enough to get a little of that good smoke into my lungs about once a year.

I have three really good loads for my Huntsman .50 cal. rifle. It is very versatile. For deer I can choose between several loads and bullet styles and get good accuracy, but my favorite is a 350 grain conical pure lead bullet pushed by 80 grains of ffg, for 1300 ft/sec. at the muzzle. For light target work I like a .452 SWC pistol bullet in a black sabot with 80 grains of ffg, which shoots fairly flat out to 85 yards, and is predictable to at least 100 yards. For squirrel hunting I like a .454 round ball in a black sabot in front of 35 grains of ffg. All three loads have very close POA/POI, although the squirrel load starts to drop dramatically past 40 yards, and the deer load fall rapidly past 65 yards, which is the outer limits of my hunting shots anyway.

At the range, my groups are just as good as (if not better than) one guy who shoots a $700 rig. I like getting a good value in a gun, like the Huntsman, and I like using what I saved on the purchase price to buy lots of bullets and powder. More shots per dollar, good accuracy, and loads of fun!