Post subject: Re: Best All-Around Pump Shotgun
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:43 pm 
Limited Edition

Whether you go with a semi or pump, I say get a Remington

Mossberg 500 20ga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:20 am 
Crown Grade

I'd go for a used Beretta 390 if a semi-auto is needed. I picked mine up for $425. It's a beater I use for ducks. It's embarrassing to admit that I own that gun, but it works.

If you do want a pump, get a used Ithaca 37. That's a gun you can be proud to own.

" The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well." R.W.E.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Whatever you buy, just please don't fire 2, 3, or 4 times at one clay. I was testing my gun out on the hand traps at a public range and got very worried being near these "Rambos."

If you miss it when it 's close, there's little reason to expect you'll hit it when it's far away. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:00 pm 
Crown Grade

nody wrote:
Whatever you buy, just please don't fire 3 or 4 times at one clay. I was testing my gun out on the hand traps at a public range and got very worried being near these "Rambos."

If you miss it twice, there's little reason to expect you'll hit it with more shots. :roll:

Fixed it for ya. I've often hit targets on the second shot, and I don't consider myself a "Rambo" type.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you get a pump stick with a Wingmaster, BPS, or Ithaca 37. They are all top quality, will last a lifetime (several lifetimes actually) and are readily available.

They all three handle and fit differently though. You need to shoot them and see which fits you best. The Wingmaster is a fine gun, but doesn't fit me worth a dime, it'd be last on my list but for those whom they do fit, you can't go wrong. My preference is Ithaca then BPS, then Wingmaster.

Some don't like them for clays, but I don't shoot near as many clays as I do game so they work for me. Shop used and you can come in under budget and start saving for a semi for clays.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:53 pm 
Field Grade

Colonel26 wrote:
Shop used and you can come in under budget and start saving for a semi for clays.

Colonel26, I think this is my best bet. Hopefully I can get to the LGS this weekend where they have a used BPS for $400. Well, I hope they'll still have it... :?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:04 pm 
Crown Grade

You can find a used Ithaca cheaper. They are nicer guns.

" The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well." R.W.E.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:34 pm 
Field Grade

I ended up getting lucky and found a brand new Beretta 930 12 gauge at Walmart on clearance for $450. After I saw that price tag I couldn't leave the store without it! Took her out later that day and ran 100 rounds through her without a single hiccup.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

Good luck with your new shotgun. :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:54 pm 
Crown Grade

TheKryt1kal wrote:
I ended up getting lucky and found a brand new Beretta 930 12 gauge at Walmart on clearance for $450. After I saw that price tag I couldn't leave the store without it! Took her out later that day and ran 100 rounds through her without a single hiccup.

Don't know about a 930, but if it's a 390, congratulations! :B3 :)W

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:01 pm 
Crown Grade

claysmoker wrote:
TheKryt1kal wrote:

The 930 is the 3 1/2" Magnum version of the 390.....

:twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:19 pm 
Field Grade

claysmoker wrote:
TheKryt1kal wrote:

Sorry about that! I meant the 390! :oops: It's a Beretta 390 with the synthetic stock and 28" vent-ribbed barrel. Apparently it had been sitting in the back of the store for years because the box was torn all to crap, but hey, I wasn't buying the box. Also, to my surprise it came with three chokes (IC, M, and F)! :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:09 pm 
Crown Grade

Great gun, nice price. You scored.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:33 am 
Field Grade

Welcome! I have both a Mossy 500 and 835. Great guns! 500 is in MODB camo and used for ducks, the 835 is blued/wood and have used it for duck, goose, turkey, deer and hog (I have a rifled barrel and scope combo). Never had any problem with either. Mossberg's customer service is second to none. Also Made in USA!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:19 am 
Utility Grade

Gents, I can't agree with the stoic advice of sticking to auto loader. This young man said he wants to hunt with this gun, has mentioned financial restrictions, and specified that he's seeking the best pump gun. I strongly recommend using your pump gun for skeet if you are budget-restricted and can use the practice. You get to where you can pop both skeet birds and you'll be deadly in the field.

The man asked about the best pump- that's the 870. Not the prettiest, but functionally can't be beat. Get the $350 Express, take the extra $150 and get #1, a good recoil pad, #2, a good vest with a quality pad, #3, good sights.

Enjoy!