CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: pheasants and rain
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:41 pm 
Field Grade

as you all can see i'm new to this sport i'll try to keep my questions short........is hunting pheasants in the rain any harder, does the rain mask thier sent. by the way i have 2 labs to help me

Post subject: Re: pheasants and rain
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I don't like hunting pheasant in the rain, they tend to head for the deepest,thickest, nastiest cover they can find to get out of the rain, plus it's just kinda miserable.But it's not quite as bad as trying to hunt them in heavy wind, i don't know where the heck those things go in heavy wind, they just vanish.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:22 am 
Limited Edition

We hunted 6 hrs Monday in a mix of rain and drizzle. We got 1 pheasant and 4 quail. It was the most miserable hunt condition wise, I have ever been on. I'll think twice, three times before I do that again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:15 am 
If they are anything like quail then the wetness makes their scent stick more...meaning that when the move their scent stays where they USED to be for longer...the dog might think it's on birds when they have actually been long gone. Ground freezing is what will mess the scent up and throw the dogs off. If I were you I'd just wait till a nicer day.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:57 am 
Tournament Grade

My rule of thumb for hunting pheasants when it’s wet out is pretty common sense, they’ll be where they can keep dry. Like someone else said that usually means deep in some nasty cover. However sometimes they’ll be pretty bunched up in that cover and when you find them the shooting can be very good.

Wind is the condition that is the biggest pain in the butt in our location. If it really cranks up its not only miserable, they are hard to hit when they do get up and tend to hold really tight. On a day with a strong wind roaring out of the north look for them hidden next to the south side of rows of cedar trees.

I actually like to hunt when its crappy out, its those nice sunny days when they are scattered all over the place that they seem to be the most difficult to work.

Opening day here on Saturday, forecast is for upper 60s.