It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fausti Shotguns
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:26 pm 
Limited Edition

Anyone own a Fausti shotgun made for the Connecticut distributor "Traditions" or Cabelas?
This would have been prior to the management change to the three 'babes' who now run the company. My main concerns are about quality (or the lack of quality). I recently purchased
A 12ga O/U made for Cabelas....it had several issues and I returned it for refund to the seller.

Post subject: Re: Fausti Shotguns
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:36 pm 
Crown Grade

Fausti shotguns are made to several "price points" for the importers. The ones we see here in the US are generally in the "low end" guns.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:03 pm 
Crown Grade

Exactly what BobK said. The Euro guns are superb! The last guns to my knowledge that were available to the US market were the Weatherby O/U line. But sadly, Weatherby decided to dump their line of premium shotguns. Now we're left with just Weatherby Turkey(s), if ya get my drift...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:19 pm 
Crown Grade

Actually, Fausti has brought the Euro quality guns to the US under their own name, finally. They offer some gorgeous stuff.

http://faustiusa.com/

The guns imported in the past were "price point" guns, as others have said. They're available for relatively cheap, because they ARE relatively cheap.

The new Fausti Stefano-branded offerings (well, new to the US) are very nice guns. They're also comparable in price to the Berettas, Guerinis, AyAs, etc. with which they compete. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:42 am 
Tournament Grade

I recently bought a Fausti DEA SL 20 ga. made specifically for Cabelas. I have read posts here that are pretty critcal of this gun. I either scored an "exceptional mutant" or we have some reports that are overly unfair. The gun that I bought was new for $2700, has exceptional wood, weighs in under 6 pounds, and the fit and finish is on par with other European guns of this price range and even a few hundred dollars more in cost. The triggers are crisp and break under four pounds. And yes, it is a box lock with side plates - this only adds to the pleasing look of the gun. I also took six pheasants with it this past week, so it also seems to quite adequately do the job for which it was built.
The bottom line - I am very pleased with this gun. For the money and quality, I would recommend it to anyone interested in considering a purchase of one of these remaining models.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:52 am 
Crown Grade

Those "babes" have been running the company for quite some time, including when the Traditions line was brought here . All have degrees in accounting.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

I bought one of the Fausti Cabelas specials. It was originally close to 3k but had a spot of rust on it and they took $900 for it brand new. It is a 12 ga sxs and has been dependable so far. It seems to be good quality and is very light weight. I shot a round of sporting clays with it and my shoulder knew it but I love the light weight for hunting.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:22 pm 
Crown Grade

For $900 I'd grab it in a heartbeat! Those guns are quite nice.

I just chose a $1350 Elite Gold double trigger round action instead of a $3000 Fausti. For $900? A no-brainer. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

Fausti is the DU dinner gun this year. The one our chapter had seems cheap with nasty wood and seemingly poor finish. The guy who won the limited raffle for either the Fausti or Kimber handgun chose the Kimber (not a fancy one), the runner up took the fausti.

These could have been some left overs with junk hokey DU furniture put on them.

I wasn't impressed, a basic citiori looks nicer.

All I kept hearing a couple guys say was "thats an over 2k gun" I just couldnt imagine passing on a citiori for the model fausti we had.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:09 am 
Limited Edition

The Fausti Class is a very nice gun, the Caledon is their current base O/U and it isn't quite as nice as the Class. I've done probably too much research on Fausti and their current line is very good and competes mostly with Beretta,Rizzini, and Ceasar Guerini(Fausti Stafano is part of the Rizzini family). The wood on the Class and Caledon is not the most figured but I've seen silver pigeons with downright ugly wood and they usually cost the same or more than Class/Caledon. One of my local dealers who carries browning,CG,Rizzini,and Fausti told me they sell by far more Faustis and their customers have been very happy with them. I see them as value if you're lookig for a nice Italian gun. I also find for their price they have very nice aesthetics. The Faustis made for traditions are a much different story, they are walmart junk, and i've read some issues on the Cabelas imports.

http://randywakeman.com/Fausti_Class_Tw ... uge_OU.htm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:59 am 
Diamond Grade

One of the major problems with Fausti is that they change their distribution method every couple of years and each time they do, they simply stop supporting the shotguns sold through their previous distribution scheme. Fausti USA is only a few years old and if it doesn't work out for them, they will, as their history has shown, simply close up shop leaving those who purchased their shotguns in the lurch for parts and service. Having been burned by them once, I would recommend looking to a more dependable manufacturer for a new shotgun. I am praying for a gun buyback program in my area so I can get rid of the unrepairable Fausti O/U that I am stuck with.

"The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more often likely to be foolish than sensible."

Bertrand Russell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:05 am 
Crown Grade

Uh, didn't you also buy a Charles Daly Marocchi from CDNN?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:21 am 
Diamond Grade

BarryD wrote:
Uh, didn't you also buy a Charles Daly Marocchi from CDNN?

Yes I did, but that particular shotgun is still going strong and has served it's purpose quite well, and is still doing so. I shot the highest Flurry score ever at my club (along with a teenager teammate) with that gun.

"The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more often likely to be foolish than sensible."

Bertrand Russell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

Traditions Precision Firearms imported Classic Filed III Gold to 2007 or so and DU through Cherry import in 2009 the greener cross bolt than Cabela advertised as a "silvery" Elegant extra (European name) Walmart quality and Fausti USA examined one and would not print a box label, period.

Barbara Fausti, a Rizzini last name?, had introduced a new Elegant model(Rizzini like) at Moscow Arms and Hunting show in 2013 and DU has :Silvery Mod. DU2013, which superseded the Weatherby Orion D'Itialia line. Be careful, Cabela does not know which is which. There are at least 5 European models called Elegant, only Kevin import Elegant extra in 2009.

Found Fausti Silvery DU2013 12 ga o/u 28"on Gun Library for $1250. Paid for shipping and they said Elegant; Well it was a DU2009 Cherry's import CD year code not Cl. Called Kevin Cherry said elegant extra (European), brought to Fausti USA and Steve Allen would not print a box label for a Cabela gun! Cabela says cant return firearms (used), well Bank refunded most of my money, fighting with Cabela, now Bass Pro?

FS501-204 says deceptive ad and pending investigation and possible Criminal as well as Civil actions. These are not gold inlay guns according to Kevin, but chemical etched gold colors. The DU 2013 comes with new Fausti patented 4 lock system, strong FN/Browning bottom flat bolt with a Boss receiver lugs and lumps. Also hard cases, Prince of Wales.

On last point Bass Pro Shops sold Fausti Weatherby Orion D'Itialia for $899 blued receiver.
American Arms and Tradition Precision Firearms imported , but low price point guns like DU2009 guns. Looks similar but Greener Cross-bolt guns. Price range $700-$800 vs
Mod. DU2013 $1250 to $2250

Kevin Cherry said must have Mod. DU2013 etc on top barrel, DU2009 does not !

Steve Allen is GM for Fausti USA, great showroom in Fredericksburg, customs guns to $70k, say nice one fore $11k worth the visit, but due to Tradition Walmart reputation, Fausti is considering them as their step sons and prefer not to talk about the low price point guns.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:15 pm 
Crown Grade

I have a beautiful Fausti Stefano 28 gauge side-plated boxlock SxS that I bought from a good friend's estate. I tried unsuccessfully to research what model it is and couldn't find anything helpful in the Blue Book or online. After emailing Steve Allen at Fausti USA and subsequent correspondence with Fausti Italy, I have learned little more than that it was made in 2001. I've looked at hundreds of Fausti pictures online and haven't seen another like it. Mine has 28" barrels, a nicely figured straight stock, double triggers, full coverage Giovanelli "engraving" with gold game birds, and a checkered butt. Although it's stocked a little straight for me, it shoots quite well....especially after I had Briley open it up from .024/.042 to .009/.012. I am very happy with the quality and handling.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:43 am 
Presentation Grade

I just came from Steve Allen's Fausti USA , with a cheap DU2009 Tradition, Cabela said was a DU2013 Silvery. Like a Caledon in USA , but DU "Gun of the Year" they also called Silvery. Bummer. To court we go!

However, Steve took his time and showed me an $11k 28 ga., dont remember what the model name was called, but he demostrated the newly Fausti patented four (4) lock action. a split FN bottom flats bolts , together with two Boss like receiver/monoblock lug/lumps and cuts. Real strong. What a sweet gun much better that my Citori featherligh 28. Well made.

Also spoke to John Allen , co author BB, and I got screwed by Cabela and will take them to court for several misrepresentation. Cabela has a new "Cabela Used Firearm Form" with their gun numbers and boxes their outfillers must check off: Mine said gun #7012245 a " Fausti Silvery DU2013 12 ga. o/u" in the description a " Used Fausti DU 2013 edition" but with a serial numer "B48453" , not "xxxxDU2013", no "Mod. DU2013" per Kevin Cherry, the importr, on top barrels and the year code "CD" (2009) not "CL"(2013).

Their gun manager show some blue label on an Iphone and says its a "elegate" and is the 2013 DU "Gun of the Year", he then check off the box on the form that reads " serial number on box /streel match", well someone rip off the box label, and that why he was covering his axx with the Iphone image, he said was an "Elegant". Kevin Cherry stated in Europe his invoce said "Elegant extr", but that was the discontuned Greener.

Take the box, gun to Steve Allen in Fausti USA, bummer, got screwed! Steve refusted to make a blue Fausti label saying " Silvery" because he knew it was a cheap Walmart/ Tradition DU2009.

As far as you 28 ga is consern, what is the lock up system: Top/ Bottom ; cross-bolt (Greener) or another locking system at the bottom like a Browning, 2001 did not have Fausti "four(4) lock", but if SxS make had Boss type, very strong bottom locks.

Keep in mind a top cross-bolt lock is what Beretta used since the 1930's on their SO guns, (ASE, DT10. DT11) then in the 1956 a top replacable " U bolt" with holes near the top barrels. (S55, 680,682,686, 687,690,692)

It is said a Greener/ Kersten Cross=bolt lock action , if machined right, no 90 degrees square corner, but machined rounded corners, is one of the strongest lock up actions. Browning says differnt, but look at the newer Cynergy action, Boss like, lower profile.

The advantage of a top locking action is a lower to the eye receiver, less recoil, that is why 10/15 Olympic metals went to Beretta DT11, etc.

I am a part time collector, had 4 Belgium superposed, made money, but market now flat, several CG, P, K and mostly Beretta guns, 680,682,686,687eell, SV10,DT10, Great guns, IMO the hand made S55/S680 are very well made inexpensive guns, but the Fasti girls caught my eve, so that's why I started doing a "due dilligence". Trust no one! so the TV show said.

John Allen at BB does not list older Tradition, Fausti USA model since most were distributed by American Arms/ Tradition/ Kevin Cherry for DU. What is the importer name on the barrels for your 28 ga. If FAusti SLR. sound like a good quality made gun, look at the action , lock up, how can you tighten the action, is it SxS or O/U. If SxS, Fausti made quality SxS now DEA series, Beretta made SxS and still does and a 28 ga gun goes for a premium, especially a Fausti well made gun, since they make the frames smaller for each guage guns.

Remember guns are made to sell and make money, few people appreciate the craftmanship that goes into a gun. Fausti now sell $70,000 Bespoke guns on custom order it take up to 700 man hours, that rival Beretta $100k SO 10's. Fausti SRL is a very small shop say 6000-8000 vs big Beretta 50,000 over under alone. They all talk to each other, sit down at dinner with Rizzini, Beretta, Fausti, Guerini's just one happy valley in the Itian alps.