CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help on how to adjust the Drop & Cast for my A300 Outlander!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:40 am 
Tournament Grade

Well I have shot my new A300 Outlander a couple times now and the other day while testing out different chokes and doing a little practice on trap before our round of sporting clay's I realized why I am missing .... When I sight it perfect down the rib and place the clay on the bead I miss ..... BUT if I pull the barrel up to where the front of the barrel covers the target then Boom ... Clay Fireworks!!!

So I have realized the I need the barrel to drop down a touch so that I don;t have to cover the target with the barrel I would just have to shoot normal with my bead on the target.

Me: I am a 6.0' tall male right handed shooter, right eye dominant. 90% sporting clay 10% trap shooter (not a hunter).

I know this gun has an adjustment for Drop and cast (which I'm still not sure "exactly" what both are for) ... I assume drop is to to fix what I need fixed ... to change the angle of of how the receiver and stock meet ... in turn giving you the option to change your shot to shoot lower or higher, and the cast I think is positioning the gun center and not shooting left or right of the target.

If this is correct I think the Cast is ok cause I nail the clay when I point right at the target but cover it with the barrel ... I just need to drop it a touch so the bead just needs to be on the clay and I'm good.

The owners manual is very vague on how to go about making these adjustments but I would like to at minimum adjust this drop ... then see if it's good on the next day to the range and be able to verify if any adjustment needs to be made to the cast.

I am also gonna be ordering a new Recoil pad that is a bit thicker cause even with the 1-1/2" spacers I still feel like I need the LOP a little further out! Can you also let me know if the Limbsaver 5" Beretta recoil pad fits this A300 Outlander stock??? (https://www.limbsaver.com/store/product ... 266&page=1)

Any instruction or guidance I can get on this would be Great Appreciated!!!

After getting all the feedback I went with this Gun due to name brand, loved the feel, many here said go with the Beretta over all my other choices, and the fact I was told this gun will fit "Me" .... I'm ready to find out how I can get this gun to fit me, cause when I think once it fits perfect I am gonna be amazing with this thing.

Thanks you so much for any help or walk-through s you can provide me and adjusting these two options to fit 'me'.

Post subject: Re: Help on how to adjust the Drop & Cast for my A300 Outlan
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The A300 Outlander adjusts for stock drop and cast exactly like the 390, 391, and 3901 do, so if you find info on them, you can use it for your Outlander. There is a lot available here on SGW. For one thing, see viewtopic.php?f=57&t=101242 and scroll down to "Removing the stock, and using stock shims".

The adjustment shims change the cast to either "cast off" for right-handed shooters or "cast on" for left-handers. Each shim is marked DX on one side for cast off and SX on the other side for cast on. Select which one you need and turn both shims (the plastic one between the stock and the receiver and the metal one inside the stock) the same way.

IMPORTANT: Read the marks on both shims from the position of the shooter: don't make the mistake of putting the front shim on the wood and then reading the marks from the front. Make sure both shims are turned the same way.

Each pair of shims gives you two choices of drop. Drop is measured in mm of drop at the comb. The numbers representing drop are stamped on both top and bottom of the shim. Once you have turned the shims to the required cast (DX or SX), turn them so the number at the top of the shim (number is right-side up on the top, upside-down on the bottom) is the amount of drop you want. You may need to change to a different pair of shims. Again, make sure both are the same, when seen from the back of the gun.

Your gun is shooting low, so you need to get your eye higher when when you mount the gun to your shoulder, to make it shoot higher. You can do that by using a pair of shims that have a lower degree of drop: BUT before you change the drop, check the way you are mounting the gun.

You should not be looking straight down the rib. The rib is not intended to be used like a rifle sight. Your eye should be slightly above the rib, so you are looking down on it a little bit. Your Outlander does not have a second bead halfway down the rib like target guns do, but imagine that it does: if it did you should see the two beads lined up like a figure 8, with the front bead stacked on top of the mid-rib bead. You should not see the beads lined up so the mid-rib bead blocks your view of the front bead.

If you are forcing your cheek down on the comb of the stock in order to sight straight down the rib, it may be that all you need to do is change your mount a little bit. However, if your mount is comfortable, raise the comb by using shims that produce less drop at comb (a smaller number).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:11 am 
Tournament Grade

Very good info ... I had an awesome member here PM me and said I could give him a call and he would help me out in answering questions and walk me through how to adjust this gun to fit me ... he has one of these as well.

This place is SO awesome for help.

I love this new sport and you guys have helped out over the last many months more then you know.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:08 am 
Tournament Grade

Dan (Ray Suggs) is absolutely an amazing member and one hell of a guy.

Spoke with him on the phone for over an hour and he told me everything I needed to know about my Outlander in how to adjust it and WAY WAY more then I expected about Many other things.

Can't thank you enough Dan for all the amazing help and tips.