CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta 686 SP1
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:31 am 
Field Grade

I posted a while back about getting a combo 20/28 in the Beretta 686 SP1 linup but have decided to go with 2 separate guns instead of combo. I am having trouble finding new ones for under 1900-2000, what is a good price and where?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Beretta 686 SP1
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:48 am 
Crown Grade

A wise choice IMO. I see no point in a 20 Gauge bird gun with smaller bores, which is all a combo offers in 28. Either just get a 20 and skip the combo, or get two guns: a 20 and a scaled 28. The frame sizes are different, to match the overall size of the chambers and barrel set.

A combo makes sense to me for clay targets where the bore size is required for a particular event and you don't care about the gun so long as you can shoot it well, or when the frame size is the same anyway (e.g. 28/.410 in the gun you're looking at).

Check Sportsman's Warehouse. They seem to offer a better price than that. Also Joel Etchen Guns. If you DO want a clay target set, check Etchen's special run 30" Sporting combos. SP II or III engraving, EELL wood, really nice, and not expensive for what you get.

Another thing to look for is the "Y-gun", which is Beretta's nominally "used", factory-certified, factory-warrantied gun. I picked up a 28" 28 Gauge SP I for $1595 that way. If it's used, I sure can't tell.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:28 am 
Tournament Grade

I would check able ammo. I think they are out of Texas. They priced an sp1 sporting for me and it was several hundred dollars under Joel ethchen and had free shipping

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:32 am 
Crown Grade

Able has new SP I Sportings for around $1500? Or did you not actually check Etchens' price?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:47 am 
Tournament Grade

$1600 and some change without a credit card. Joel etchen priced it at $1850 plus shipping

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:00 pm 
Limited Edition

I talked to Matt at Joel Etchen yesterday and ordered a 20 gauge SP I w/ 28" bbls. They're good to deal with, as I asked him to select the one with the best wood (not that any SP I has good wood, but some of it is awful), a smooth safety, decent triggers, and not to weigh more than 6# 2 oz. He called me back a short time later with one that fits the bill and weighs 6# 1 oz. It shipped within 2 hours of my first call. :)

Sportsman's price was $1850, but they didn't have a 20 gauge in stock. Scheel's was $1900, they had one on display with handling marks (to quote the manager, "It happens."), another local shop had none. Etchen's price was $1850 + $55 SHI, plus $22.50 to my FFL, so my price will be slightly less than Sportman's.

Funny about the 28 gauge SPs. They say it's on a scaled frame, but I have an SP I and an Etchen Special Order SP II combo 28/.410, and both guns weigh 6# 4oz. My SP V in 20 gauge comes in at 6# 2 ounces. I also own an SP I and SP II in 12 gauge, both of them run 7# 2 oz-7# 4oz. The 20 gauge is the clear pick of the litter. It weighs virtually the same as the M2 I bought last week, which is 6# even, but it handles so much nicer than an autoloader. No chasing hulls, either.

Able Ammo sells the SP I for ~$1845, but they're out of stock. Shipping is free, so you could save $60 if you could buy from them. They have the combos for ~$3000, Etchen sells them for a little more, but the price difference isn't significant.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:05 pm 
Crown Grade

<$1700 is a screaming deal these days, and not easy to find. Thanks for the tip. :)

A lot of people see Etchens' posted price and think that's the best they can do. Is the Able gun a Y-gun?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:13 pm 
Crown Grade

Paddler did you check the barrel set weight? It's stamped on the bottom barrel inside the forend.

The SP I 28 is definitely a scaled frame, confirmed by measurement and obvious when you look at it. But the overall gun weight is similar to the 20. Barrel set weight, for some reason, seems to be a bit heavier. Just pulling a couple guns from the safe, the 28 has a nominal 1.180 kg barrel set, and the 20 I grabbed is 1.050 kg, and that's despite the 28 having no center rib under the forend.

Also, the SP I wood is often not bad. The finish doesn't really bring out the figure. My SP I has decent figure that's masked by the finish. You can tell when it's out in bright sunlight, there's decent wood under there.

I've seen at least one Beretta that started out "blah" but ended up looking gorgeous, after being stripped and refinished with hand-rubbed Tru-Oil by a guy who knows what he's doing. Not sure what he charged for the job, but it was a pro who did it. I've done that kind of work myself, and it wasn't bad, but I have to admit it didn't come out as beautiful. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:33 pm 
Limited Edition

Barry, my SP V is at Cole's and has been for quite some time. He was going to restock it for me, but the stock cracked when he was fitting it. We're waiting for another shipment from Italy. I'll check the barrel weights when my new one gets here next week vs my 28s.

As far as the finish goes, I agree, the factory stuff is either high gloss poly or their oil finish. As far as I can tell, they dip the stocks in a pigment stained oil finish once, wipe them off and call it good. My SP I in 28 gauge has a high gloss finish, the more recent guns have oil. The 12 gauge SP I I bought used last week (screaming deal, nearly new, $1200, not hot) is Beretta Blah, but would, as you say, benefit from some finish work. This is an SP II I couldn't stand to look at, so I improved the finish with Minwax's Tung Oil Finish. It's not tung, it's soft, I don't recommend anybody use it, but it looks okay:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Definitely the nicest SP II stock I've seen.

There was a 12 Gauge EELL at Sportsman's Warehouse when the recession hit and they went through bankruptcy, for $3995 new, and it was drop-dead gorgeous. It appeared to be hand-rubbed Tru-Oil or Italian equivalent, like a custom job would be. Still kicking myself for not having $4K to blow at that point -- but few people did, which is why it sold for that! :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:04 pm 
Limited Edition

All of Beretta's "oil finished" stocks need work. They offer almost no moisture resistance and absolutely no protection from abrasion. In fact, that SP II stock showed sweat stains after the first time I took it to the range, which is what prompted me to improve the finish in the first place.

I've been around the block on stock finishing a couple of times. I've been refinishing the original stock for my SP V while waiting to hear from Rich on a new wood set. I've diluted Behlen's Rockhard Table Top Finish to make a wiping varnish, so we'll see how that turns out.

While we're on the subject, I wish Beretta would get their act together. They combine an English grip stock with their beavertail forend, which makes absolutely no sense. I reshaped it to the same profile as their English forend before I began the refinishing. And, like on my Etchen Special with upgraded wood, they combine their really nice English forend with a PG stock. WTH? Pull your head out, Beretta. A beavertail or schnable forend goes with a PG stock. Period.

Back on track, though. My advice to the OP is to buy a 20 gauge now. They're a bit lighter than the 28, ammo is cheaper ($8/box for WW Super Sport vs $10/box for 28, the price difference for steel is $7/box vs $14/box), and they're better ballistically. Add a 28 gauge later if you like.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:23 pm 
Crown Grade

I second that advice!

I like the 28, but the 20s have really been my "go-to" bird guns for everything short of wild pheasant.

The 28 has seen use as a gun for puppy introduction, since it sounds like a pop gun. It's a neat thing, but the 20 is the "must have" gun in the series. :)

WRT the beavertail, it's interesting that, for the English grip SP V, they show the 28 Gauge on the website. It has the "European" forearm that seems a perfect match.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:36 pm 
Limited Edition

BarryD wrote:
I second that advice!

I like the 28, but the 20s have really been my "go-to" bird guns for everything short of wild pheasant.

The 28 has seen use as a gun for puppy introduction, since it sounds like a pop gun. It's a neat thing, but the 20 is the "must have" gun in the series. :)

WRT the beavertail, it's interesting that, for the English grip SP V, they show the 28 Gauge on the website. It has the "European" forearm that seems a perfect match.

I agree, that is the perfect match. Maybe they listened. Now, if they just got rid of the crappy Laser Cut checkering, they'd be almost there. All of Cole's wood sets with a straight grip are paired with schnable forends, which means I'll have to pay Rich to knock off the schnable. As I said, my SP V came with came SG/BT. I bought it used, but I think it's the original wood.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:01 am 
Limited Edition

I bought two SP 1 guns the last three months, a 410 and a 20. Paid $1950 for each.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:25 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for all the responses. Kept looking for a good deal but couldn't find one. Local gander mountain had a few so I got a 20 last night. Paid 1950. Could have saved a little on gun broker with tax but I figured I would get one I could make sure fit. First gun I have ever bought from a chain store. There prices on every othe gun I saw was pretty high but reasonable on this one. Gonna shoot quail with it today and Sunday so it will get a good christening.... Ended up going with the 26.5 barrel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:58 pm 
Limited Edition

Let us know how you like it. You made an excellent choice. They're not cheap, but you definitely bought a quality gun.

Mine is scheduled for delivery Tuesday. :D I bought the 28" bbls, only because they didn't have a 30" gun in stock.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:02 am 
Crown Grade

One bit of advice: put Slick-Eez or something on the top 1/4 of the recoil pad. Electrical tape will do in a pinch. That's the only "modification" the gun needs to be a perfect quail shooter. :)

A snapshot of a 6 lb. 20 Gauge with a couple birds I shot with it in just over an hour this January... That wasn't the only time, either. Once near the end of the season, I had 7 birds in the bag in less than a half hour, with a limit of 10. It took me an hour to drive down to where I was hunting, and my dogs needed more exercise, so I had to slow down on purpose. Those guns just WORK on quail. :mrgreen:

Have a great time with it on Sunday! :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:35 am 
Limited Edition

Looks like fun, Barry. I've been wanting to make a trip over to your neck of the woods for awhile now. I've hunted ducks and sharptails in SE Idaho, but never have hunted SW. I have a nice GSP who likes to hunt.

Is that an Onyx?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:31 am 
Presentation Grade

The local dicks has them for $1800-$1900 range. I found a 686wo in 28 locally for $1600. The wo had a poly finish instead of the oil. I also like the wo receiver instead of the sp engraving.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:03 pm 
Limited Edition

slotracer577 wrote:
The local dicks has them for $1800-$1900 range. I found a 686wo in 28 locally for $1600. The wo had a poly finish instead of the oil. I also like the wo receiver instead of the sp engraving.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

I prefer the SP I "engraving", but the poly finish on the Onxy will be more durable and protective against moisture. $1600 is a decent price. What does it weigh?

My understanding is that all the 68x series guns are the same internally, the differences in price are for cosmetics only. My favorite of the lower priced guns is probably the SP II. I sure don't understand why the SP III costs so much more than the SP I. My best buy is maybe my 12 gauge Onyx Heavy Duck, which cost me $900 in 1997. It's my go to watefowl gun, and works perfectly.