CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: shooting slugs with a full choke 870
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:36 pm 
I am new to shotgunning and recently recieved an 870 wingmaster, the barrel is full choke and I was wondering how it would be for shooting rifled slugs and also buckshot?? What will range and accuracy be like for both rounds???

Post subject: Re: shooting slugs with a full choke 870
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can do it but your accuracy will probably not be very good at all with foster (rifled) slugs. I also wouldn't shoot any of the super hot premium loads in that full barrel.

As for buck shot, you'll just have head to the range and see for yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well they claim that buckshot and rifled slugs should be shot through a more open choke like say I.C. or maybe even mod. But the only way to find out is to shoot. However I would think your accuracy would not be optimon because you only have a bead to line up. Also about 50 yards is the max I would shoot with that setup slugs and buckshot, maybe 75 (slug) if I feel lucky. However if you want to improve accuracy I would look into a smooth bore barrel with rifle sights, or if you want to increase your range and your accuracy even more get a rifled barrel and shoot sabots. I hope that helps good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

man JLP snuck in there before me :( Ohwell. :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:47 pm 
ok thanks for the quick reply's.
I can not damage the gun by shooting these with it can I???

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

not at all

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:58 pm 
Excuse me for 'buttin in here and altho you didn't ask about this particular subject with your full-choked M870, don't EVER shoot steel shot in that barrel!

Over the years I've seen NUMEROUS (a dozen perhaps?) M870 and M1100 barrels blown open like a flower from shooting steel shot when the choke was too tight - usually with a "full" choke.

As for shooting slugs and buckshot, you'll simply have to invest the time and cost of testing however many numerous loads to see what your full-choked barrel will shoot well for you. There's no getting around this chore!

A Foster-style slug is usually softer lead and more forgiving (on accuracy, the barrel and choke as well as the slug itself) when fired through a tight bore, so I'd suggest focusing on those. Also, the tighter bore might also BETTER SHOOT a buckshot pattern at longer ranges (35-40 yards or more) than an open or cylinder / improved cylinder bore.

Try the standard Foster-style Remington, Winchester and Federal slugs (generally the cheapest each company makes, moderate velocity is plenty). Most hunters use "Kentucky windage" to compensate for correcting bullet impat.

Plus, #1 buckshot loads offer the maximum number of pellets in a killing pattern (ignore the #0 or #00 buck loads unless absolutely necessary). #1B is a very adequate deer-killing-size pellet.

One really great feature about your Remington M870 is the availability of accessories and extra barrels you can buy, especially with interchangeable chokes. The company below offers both Remington slug barrels and regular field barrels for your gun too. Go to their hunting / shooting sections.

http://www.Cabelas.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:47 pm 
go out and buy a smooth-bore slug barrrel. it is your safest bet.