It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Blaser vs Krieghoff vs Perazzi vs Caesar Guerini
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:42 am 
Utility Grade

I'm new to the forum. I'm looking to buy a high end, high ribbed shotgun. Looking at some of these guns. Are they worth the money? I'm looking for a gun that is worth its price, reliable, and performs well. Which one of these would be the best? I'll be shooting mostly skeet and trap. I am somewhat new to shooting and I am looking to spend no more than $10,000.

Post subject: Re: Blaser vs Krieghoff vs Perazzi vs Caesar Guerini
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:33 am 
Crown Grade

The Perazzi and Kreighoff are the most popular as they have been around longer. One gun for both skeet and trap will require compromise resulting in a gun not ideally suited for either. For me I shoot only trap and use a Kreighoff single barrel. For the few times I shoot doubles or wobble trap I use a Browning Cynergy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:00 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For $10k I would buy two Guerinis. One for trap (unsingle unless you are going to shoot trap doubles) and one for skeet and sporting clays (a sporting gun with 30-32" barrels). If you need to go with one gun, get a Guerini Impact and change the POI to suit the game. Personally, I don't like to have to make changes as I go between games, so I have dedicated guns (Maxum unsingle for trap and a Summit sporting with Kolar tubes for skeet), but then again I have an Impact also:).

NSSA Level 1 Skeet Instructor
NRA Certified RSO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:32 pm 
Field Grade

For $10k, buy a Blaser and get sub gauge tubes for it. Will still have some coin left for shooting and shells.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As an avid trapshooter shooting Krieghoff, I still like Redcobra's idea of buying dedicated guns designed and configured for a specific clay game. Also like the CGun line, having had good luck with them. CGuns should be regarded as above mid-range in there market price. Kguns and Pguns are better quality for double the price. I believe you are including potential gun purchases at two different market levels, while considering them equal.

Both the Blaser and Guerini seem to be well made and engineered with exceptional customer support, but too new for the shooting community to rate them in the same class as Krieghoff and Perazzi. You will get what you pay for, but in this case it's hard to make a mistake.

Maltz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:58 am 
Crown Grade

I have shot all the gun you are looking at when I went to buy a new Trap gun.
All of then were very good. The one that stood out for me was the Guerini.
I just like the fit , balance, feel of the gun. With the money I saved on the Guerini.
I bought 2 more sporting Guerini's.
I have never looked back and said what did I do.
I agree with Redcobra also.
Shoot as many guns as you can. Then pick the one YOU like the best. Your the one thats shooting it and it's your money buying the gun.
Also Guerini seems to be one of the fastest growing gun company out there. There a reason for it. They are very very good guns in a mid price range.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My .02 for all that it's worth: The Guerinis are relatively light in the hand compared to the Blaser and K-80, or the other K-gun you didn't mention, Kolar; the P guns can go either way, but generally tend toward lighter/more nimble -- though even the lightest are still probably heavier than Guerinis. The difference between these 4 guns in how they swing and sing is night and day, so in all honesty you're comparing apples and oranges to a pear and grapefruit. I'd say try to shoot them all first, and at least swing them -- but since you're relatively new, what you like the feel of now, may not be what you like the feel of next year or two years from now. On the upside, any of the guns you mentioned are easy to sell at 70% of their cost new as long as they've not been beat up. All of that said, the smart play is buying 2 of the Guerinis (one for each discipline) since they have a lower entry cost and you'll probably end up selling one or both to get something different a year or two from now. I'll go out on a limb and further predict you'll ultimately want a heavier gun for both sports than the Guerini. And yes, I speak not only from personal experience, but also watching multiple others go through the same process. OTOH, if you like the feel of the Blaser, Kolar, Perazzi or K-80 out of the gate, buy one and learn how to shoot it, then you may in fact still be shooting it in 5 years. Perazzi, K-80 and more recently Kolar and Blaser are by far the most popular on the skeet fields in my area, and you see all of those plus many others on the trap fields, including older Browning XS's and XT's (they were heavier than the the newer 3/4/5/6/7xx models), but again Perazzi and K-80 are there in abundance.

In fact, all that said and as a newer shooter, you might want to look for a USED XS for skeet and a XT for trap: you'll likely pay less than $4000 for both and be able to sell them 2 years from now for what you paid for them; and they're great, reliable guns to shoot while you develop your style that will ultimately dictate what you end up wanting.

again, my .02 only...

The simple answer is, "K80, 32" flat-rib bbls, S&S custom stock, 55/45, Bornaghi 1oz 1250 7-½'s, M/M, Castelani, Lonesome Charlie, K-lube, qMaxx blue, Bore-snake, green Brake-cleen, and a very cold and dry Stoli martini."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:22 am 
Crown Grade

CG doesn't belong with the other three. Not at all in the same league. Perazzi rules that roost, followed by Kreighoff. Blaser is a flash in the pan similar to Kemen or Zoli. To my knowledge there are no CG shooters on the pro circuit. Pretty guns, end of story...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

Pros and the guns they shoot is a business decision very much like golfers and the clubs they use or Bass Pros and the rods they use etc. so that isn't the best barometer.

See if you can find a demo day and a range not to far away. Kinda like test driving a car...feel can be everything.

"I instruct to break targets...I coach to compete".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:58 pm 
Crown Grade

let's say it another way, during the long summer shooting season, I see maybe 1 CG for every 10 Brownings or Berettas. K and P guns, maybe 5 to 1 over CG. A small number of shooters I hang with owned one or two, but flipped them shortly thereafter. Biggest gripe, durability and parts breakage.

Just sayin'...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

Most on here have more experience than I, fwiw of the guns you listed I would buy a cg or blaser or both USED and shoot the hell out of 'em. Spend the rest of your $ on shells, targets and lessons.

As you describe yourself as fairly new to clay shooting, in 3 or 4 years how you shoot and what you like may be much different than today.

Fyi I started with a cg, added a devault rib, and now shoot a pro sporter. Don't know that I would have liked the K gun 3 years ago. Love it today.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

ZOLI Bilanx VCS?

http://www.shotgunworld.com/shotguns/gun ... otgun.html

modular so you can adapt it to each individual game. personally I have a standard Zoli Z-sport and just shoot it for all 3 games.

Browning Maxus Duck Camo
Franchi Affnity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

Kolar, Kreighoff, and Perazzi are in their own class. The other guns mentioned are not ranked as highly from what I have read and just from holding them in-hand.
Once you come to the decision of the above three mentioned, it comes down to personal fit and feel. I think Perazzis are lighter than the two K guns.
I own a Kolar and it was the best decision I've made for my shooting. My personal opinion..and for me, that is the only opinion that counts.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:53 am 
Tournament Grade

Slugo wrote:
CG doesn't belong with the other three. Not at all in the same league. Perazzi rules that roost, followed by Kreighoff. Blaser is a flash in the pan similar to Kemen or Zoli. To my knowledge there are no CG shooters on the pro circuit. Pretty guns, end of story...

My how things have changed in 5 years... A lot of pros are using CG and I’d put the new Invictus VII up to any Perazzi.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

Cesar Guerini Invictus line of guns: Great Value
Great triggers
Great chokes
Great reliability
Great wood
Great balance
Great warranty
Great customer service
Great decision to purchase one!

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I would add Kolar and Beretta DT and up to your short-list group. ALL of the guns mentioned are reliable, solidly built, have great triggers and are capable of winning. But only a few of the guns actually have the opportunity to appreciate in value over time. Krieghoff and Perazzi and Beretta-SO's being in that group -- the others, simply too soon to say ;)

The simple answer is, "K80, 32" flat-rib bbls, S&S custom stock, 55/45, Bornaghi 1oz 1250 7-½'s, M/M, Castelani, Lonesome Charlie, K-lube, qMaxx blue, Bore-snake, green Brake-cleen, and a very cold and dry Stoli martini."

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:25 pm 
Utility Grade

I think Blaser's are different in that unlike the JMB design (everything O/U including Perazzi), the triggers don't release pendulum hammers, but rather strikers, sort of like Glocks. The lock time is phenomenal and there is a learning curve. I have heard the Browning Cynergy has something different but haven't seen anything for sure.

s/f

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:48 am 
Limited Edition

For $10k, I'd get a BT-99 for trap and spend the rest on a skeet/sporting gun that felt good between my hands. Then in 5 years rethink. What you like now, won't be what you'll like then. Above all make sure the gun fits you well, and that your mount is solid. In the end brand name means little if the gun doesn't fit.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I wonder what he bought and if he still shoots.

Jim

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There is a guy on here that I know with a like new Browning Cynergy Trap Combo. 34" Unsingle and 32" Over and Under, with super wood and the two barrel case, for sale. It is the classic style stock and not the Laminated or the ones with the funky recoil pad. High adjustable rib on the Unsingle. I know where there is also a Caesar Guerini Summit Impact, Type "S" Skeet Tube Set. That is an adjustable rib (and comb) 30" Barrels. Low mileage.

You might get the pair for just over your budget.

PM Me if you have any interest and I can put you in touch with them.

Bob